Sniper's Perch

HawaiiIceMan

Ok so I saw this on the news page here at arnies, And figured i should post it here incase anyone didnt see it.

A new company called First Target is making high quality airsoft pellets.

They make some new weights including .33g .35g .38. and .40g I think this should interest most BA users. Here is a link to there site http://www.1st-target.com/productx/index.html

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

righ as I mentioned a couple of pages back, I've recently been having some problems with my gspec in the way that its been shooting as if theres next to no hopup when i have adjusted the hop to several different setups,

So I had a look at the hop unit when I dismantled it and everything seems to be in perfect order I also cleaned it up as well, and after doing all this I still have the same problem what could be causing this to happen?

The gun itself is completly stock and has had nothing change as of yet, I've also noticed that it seems to be a little less powerfull aswell could this be contributing to the hop problem?

Please help as I need to get it sorted for a big op in several weeks, as my squads relying on me to use my skills :P to eliminate the CO's of other teams :)

Thought you sniper guys may like this. It is my KSC G17 sniper.

KSC Glock 17

G&P metal slide

Guarder Steel Stainless Threaded Outer barrel

Custom 300mm stock AEG bore inner barrel

Hidakaya floating valve spring

Hidakaya 150% hammer spring

Firefly floating valve

Custom loading nozzle springs

Guarder steel mag catch

Custom high flow mag valve

Leak Proof Mag fill valve

Firefly impact hammer block

NineBall short stroke recoil spring

KA AAC Evolution Silencer

CAT laser

CATlaser_005.sized.jpg

IMG_0325.sized.jpg

IMG_0327.sized.jpg

IMG_0326.sized.jpg

Chronod with a Guarder Speeder 2000, Lanbo ET-1600 Red gas, KSC 0.20g BBs

Nothing like a 500+ FPS GBB!!!!

On the subject of 6.01 inner barrels I link interested parties here.

http://www.deescustoms.com/prod_custom-barrels.html

No VSR model yet but apparently it's coming. More interesting than the barrels (other companies make 6.01 barrels) is the +1/3 range and +20 to 30 FPS that they apparently deliver.

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

hey guys.....

i saw you guys were talking about some spotter AEGs.... WHAT is a spotter AEG?

is it the gun the spotter uses or what..... ?

also.... do you guys know of any accurate semi-auto gas rifle???? for around $150 (us dollars) or less than $150 of course..... but..... yeah

that reason i am asking is because, im kinda getting into long range marksmanship

instead of jumping right into sniping.....

and ive always wanted a semi auto rifle.......

oh! is the HFC "box cannon" rifle any good???

thanks alot guys......

kevin

Right, me and my brother are going to form a 'sniper' team, he was un upgraded PSG-1 which he bought second hand (it fires 450, rather then the gun-damaging 500), and i'm going to have an TM M14, (him sniper, me spotter)

My question is, is ghillie really that important in woodland matches? Or is it more important in day long games?

Also, would putting ghillie on the gun and a sunhat be any good? as we can't afford proper ghillie suits and neither of us really has the time or patience to make a full one ourselves. (nor do we have the money to buy one)

Or should we just run along like monkeys with machine guns trying to shoot everything we see? (i'm not implying anyones a monkey, either..)

A spotter AEG in my book is as follows.

- An AEG

- With a fairly long barrel

- Capable of automatic fire

Such as the M14, M16 variants, long barreled G3's etc. The purpose of a spotter is to

A. visually engage targets and direct the sniper's fire (not really neccessary in airsoft)

B. Provide fire-support to defend and cover the sniper if their position is compromised.

I guess it's more how the AEG is used than what AEG it is. However I would not arm a spotter with an MP5K. Chiefly because it's nice if the spotters weapon has a good decent range.

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

ViciousV10s: That is one serious gas pistol. Wonder how many shots it will do before something gives up at that power with being GBB. I think higher power gas guns are normally NBB for a reason, although I'm sure it will be very effective while running at optimum.

Boardslide: That range of pellets look very comprehensive. Wonder who has them in the UK. I think 0.33g would be an optimum weight for many rifles.

STUKA: I presume when you stripped the G-SPEC, you saw that the HOP moved up and down by looking down the barrel section, once removed from the reciever? Sounds to me like your HOP is not the problem and that something is wrong in your cylinder and hence why power is diminished. Perhaps your spring guide has snapped?

Angelfire5x: I think you already know the answers to your questions. Sounds to me like you will not make it as a "sniper" as you appear to show an urge to "run through the trees like a monkey" :huh: . I think what I am saying, is that only the people who realise that they must mainly withdraw as a "sniper" will really make it. I see too many pictures of b/a players who carry a large AEG as a "backup" as really they are firefighters and would rather attack than evade. It is pretty obvious that you will get a response on this thread saying that ghillie is worth it. However, yet again, too many players make ghillies; then never sit still long enough to make proper use of it or stand a chance of going undetected. Ghillie on your hat and rifle is a great start.

8th shotgunner: The box cannon is not accurate due to it's internal firing mechanism. I suggest you get a TM MK23 for reasonable range semi auto marksmanship or the TANAKA M500 "hunter" for that kind of budget. OK they are pistols but better than other options in that price bracket I guess.

Capacious Zepher: You can have a spotter with shorter AEG (such as a silenced PDW) if the season/terrain suits it and you are a team that is mainly prone or static. Having a short AEG really helps crawling and such a player only shoots if opponents get too close. That way he doesn't attract unwanted attention to the b/a user. I think it is too easy to get drawn into, the long range spotter AEG opening fire at too long a distance to very limited effect ... resulting in being compromised way too early.

I suggest the AEG spotter, can play with shorter guns and still get a healthy number of tags by laying close range ambushes rather than observing longer distances. As players come to flush out the sporadic b/a player who they think is alone, they fall into the AEG trap. One of my buddies used to play this way and his scoped PDW would often come up trumps. He was into crawling and hugging the floor as much as possible, compared to my upright style. Imagine on the chess board he was only a pawn when it comes to his movement and squares he can attack..... but an invisible pawn. Again dead ground is the key....

I'm hoping to be out into the wilderness for more fieldcraft next week (annual leave).

Angelfire5x: I think you already know the answers to your questions. Sounds to me like you will not make it as a "sniper" as you appear to show an urge to "run through the trees like a monkey:huh: . I think what I am saying, is that only the people who realise that they must mainly withdraw as a "sniper" will really make it. I see too many pictures of b/a players who carry a large AEG as a "backup" as really they are firefighters and would rather attack than evade. It is pretty obvious that you will get a response on this thread saying that ghillie is worth it. However, yet again, too many players make ghillies; then never sit still long enough to make proper use of it or stand a chance of going undetected. Ghillie on your hat and rifle is a great start.

Me and my bro are gonna try hang back, but as we're new to sniping we may still get in the funk.

We'll probably just put ghillie on hat/gun until we're better at it.

thanks for the help bushman

Angelfire: from all I've heard about either the PSG-1 or the M14, your M14 may end up being the better gun in terms of accuracy and maybe effective range. Something to watch for.

Also, I was reading through my copy of the US Army Sniper Training Manual (FM 23-10) yesterday and found this little tidbit:

Chapter 4-4.e. "A ghillie suit does not make one invisible and is only a camoflage base. Natural vegetation should be added to help blend with the surroundings."

So before anyone else runs off to buy/make expensive suits, see how far you can get by using rubber bands on gear and sewing elastic loops to clothing. These can be stuffed with natural vegetation "local cam" and may be most of what you need. The ghillie mainly helps in distorting the human figure into something more like a clump of moss/grass. The ghillie is not an end-all problem solver.

Wise words Bushman. I was actually thinking along the same lines as your most recent post yesterday after I posted. I guess it would depend on the terrain (dense woods vs. more open fields) but now I can definitely see the advantages of a short AEG in the spotter role.

So definitively it's not the AEG, it's how it's used.

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

FPS =/= range =/= accuracy, having a 500+fps pistol doesnt mean you can hit someone at 300+ft with it.

6.01 barrels are awesome, reduced my groupings at my maximium engagement distance by about 25%, but I had to retune the rifle because it was firing too hot at that point.

best thing you can do if you want to snipe, is take the field with a knife, or a terrible gun with an extremely short engagement distance, if you can pull it off and consistantly get people, then think about it, if you cant, you can probably only hope to be a "camping" sniper, that sets up, and sits in one spot all game hoping someone walks through his crosshairs...

Yep great entry level practice is just getting your spring pistol out (I like the TM M1911A1 springer) and taking on AEG's with it. Soon teaches you to hide well. I started with a springer and one of my opponents had one of the very first FAMAS AEG to hit the UK in '91.... it soon taught me .... that stealth and suprise were key.

Dirty is right, the PSG1 is not so hot in my opinion and way too big for it's performance unless you want to spend a mint to bring it nearer the level.

M14 is good for players unsure if they want to snipe or firefight I guess.

Dirty is also right that local cam is what ALL ghillie suits need as tehy are indeed only a base, as is basic DPM. Ram grass into your kit to stand a far better chance of being looked over.

Anyone got info on the TW M500 HUNTER (ie effective range)? A friend is interested.

Good hunting ;)

YaY!!!

Edit: see mine on the previous page

yeah yours is pretty sexy....

but honestly, the desert camo looks a little "cheesy" but overall looks great

im planning on getting the O.D. Version (just so i can use less paint) and then getting a lot of different camo colors, and randomly spraying it down the getting some ferns and using them kinda like stencils......ill see if i can find a pic.....

kevin

EDIT: heres a pic......it is the 5th post from the bottom...its in boardslide's sig......to highlander:......i LOVE THAT PAINT JOB!...and thanks

kevin

Well after reading up on the SAA it appears to have poor rear sights that make guaging elevation hard. This in itself will cause problems. The HOP is fixed I believe and it sounds like green gas with 0.30g have a fair trajectory. Is the gun the silver version? If so, you know it would need to be dulled, to an effective hunting tool.

Guess you will have to see just how close you can get using the advantage of having a tiny gun compared to most. If you are close enough, then pretty much anything can be effective. I have managed to stalk close enough to touch a deer before!

(my best ever moment of true hunting karma). :wide-eyed:

I think the M500 series of TANAKA revolvers sound the most accurate and have adjustable HOP UP. A close hunting buddy is toying with the idea of getting a m500 6.5 inch "HUNTER" revolver. It comes railed for a scope.

Let us know how you get on. ;)

I just watched Tears of the Sun (again) and want to try and do a 'Silk' loadout (the guy on the right with the M14). I know this has been discussed other places, but I cannot find any information about the fabric Silk has wrapped around his neck and M14. Where do I get that stuff and does it have a name? Or is it just scrap?

cob.jpg

I just watched Tears of the Sun (again) and want to try and do a 'Silk' loadout (the guy on the right with the M14).  I know this has been discussed other places, but I cannot find any information about the fabric Silk has wrapped around his neck and M14.  Where do I get that stuff and does it have a name?  Or is it just scrap?

*PICTURE SNIPPED*

check back to page three onwards. :)

Whats wrapped around his neck is probably just some scrim net or something (i dunno, i havn't got my glasses on)

Well after reading up on the SAA it appears to have poor rear sights that make guaging elevation hard. This in itself will cause problems. The HOP is fixed I believe and it sounds like green gas with 0.30g have a fair trajectory. Is the gun the silver version? If so, you know it would need to be dulled, to an effective hunting tool.

It is silver and I don't think it's that hard to aim with.

Guess you will have to see just how close you can get using the advantage of having a tiny gun compared to most.

:blink:

It ain't small you know...

Whats wrapped around his neck is probably just some scrim net  . . .

Scrim net. That's a good lead. Thanks!

EDIT: Scrim net appears to be a UK term. The only places I can find it for sale are Brit sites. Is there another term for this fabric?

EDIT II: OK, now I found the term I was looking for - Sniper Veil. I haven't found OD colored veil yet, but I'm getting close . . .

Archived