prices going up in China!

Frontiers

Because of the Olympics security goes more high and today we start to see effects from it, cargo prices go up 20% and thats just the start(only for these guns i mean as they are illegal here and Cargo people fear that if they are caught the authorities will procecute them for same as smuggling illegal firearms in other words if you are caught you are screwed basicly :P) so i just wanted you to know that im sure prices will go up in HK retails shops also sooner or later aswell as its more expensive to ship to there, if you plan to buy something from there, i suggest you buy sooner than later before the prices hike then you might save some bucks of your hard earned money :). This olympic craze will be in effect till November so its not going to go down anytime soon. Just thought you would like to know :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

inevitable really.

when they capture parts of the market with cheap saturation, and hobble the competition so make them ineffective. They can then hike the price up to maximise profits. Very shrewd business sense if you ask me.

And that doesnt even start on the security cargo issue.

Hey ho.

Get 'em while you can boys!

That'll be funny....so you can now buy a JG or a G&P for roughly the same price....who's that gonna hurt in the long run? :D

I can't say I feel sorry for the Chinese, I mean, by all accounts they're doing something illegal in their own country, and the "success" of the country is now making it harder for them to carry on their "crimes"....I'm sure alot of mainstream, legal manufacturers are laughing hard at this turn of events....

And I wouldn't be surprised if this "information" wasn't some ploy to induce panick buying....if people have got any sense, they won't over cook their need for airsoft guns and go stupid because of a possible price hike....hell, if I HAD to buy a chinese RIF, I'd look to the second hand market or wait for December, why pay more for something that isn't worth more?

The problem is that if they go past a certain price point they will lose the very market they are trying to exploit for their income. THAT is basic economics. These people will either stop buying or buy from other sources that are known to produce higher quality merchandise at nearly the same price. The Chinese had better keep that in mind if they want to get international cash. Sure, they can mark up, but if they get too close to something like a Tokyo Marui or Classic Army they will push their fledgling market to buy from those trusted names unless they offer incentives that those companies do not. The competition will then reap the benefits of their actions by way of sales and/or the market will simply run dry on them.

For instance say the Chinese clone companies are selling their gun right now for 65UK/$130USD, right? Ok now lets say there is a comparable gun from a well established, higher general quality, manufacturer in Japan for 130UK/$260USD, but that one is not as "upgraded" as the Chinese gun. Now lets section off their market for a tighter view on the situation. Ask yourself who the ones buying Chinese guns are. The people with a little spare cash to burn and those that cannot afford the higher prices options, right? Some people will buy the Chinese gun and some the Japanese others buying no guns at the moment, but are looking at their options for when they do have some cash. Now hike the Chinese price up to 115UK/$250USD and you have a real consideration on your hands. For some they will simply not buy a gun at that cost. They can't afford that much for their hobby. Others will be sorely torn by their by their options (slightly cheaper, but somewhat upgraded) and could swing either way. Others still will simply turn the Japanese gun for the sake of quality and comfort/ease of mind in products they know qualify at that price level they are at. See what I mean?

Those that cannot afford the Chinese guns anymore, the vast majority of their customer base, just won't buy any. The people with cash to burn will really think twice. A few bucks might not hurt them, but in the long run if they start down this path and their competitors pay attention then they could drive themselves out of business.

I think you missed couple points here...I dont sell retail in HK so it dont affect me like that for one and 2nd its not permanent price hike, like i said you can thank these "Olympics" for the security issue and why its more difficult to send those things...after all they look like guns dont they :rolleyes: and they are illegal here. The Customs in the middle of China and Hong Kong is the one that gets most effected.

A "temporary price hike" rarely exists. Most commercial entities raise prices when things are adverse and leave them raised. If the Chinese don't lower afterwards that could be a troublesome sign for those interested in these products especially with the United States entering a recession period and possibly dragging other poor countries with it.

Pretty much the point I was making.....the only downside to this possible turn of events is that it won't last :(

I'm all for people getting good value for money, hell, I've bought my fair share of chinese guns in my time, and I know people who have done very well by the chinese airsoft movement.....but, I hate the fact that they are riding of the R&D of other companies, and nothing new is safe.....I'm not going to start droning on about the pros and cons of chinese airsoft guns....its been done to death. However, I do think anything to trip the chinese movement up, even a little, goes someway towards the "payback" that Karma demands :D

:P you sound so negative that i bet you dont skirmish with Chinese gear by the sounds of it, Just chill out i just wanted to let you know what is happening i didnt want the armageddon to come up :P maybe next time i keep this to myself dont want to stir the pot with every post i make. Somehow it turns out negative even i tried it to be positive :unsure:

I'm as chilled as a cold thing on Christmas day in the North pole :D....I don't have anything against chinese rifles, sure you get lemons, but you get that everywhere...and I've seen first hand what an able skirmisher can turn chinese parts into (mention no names ;) )

Like I said, my gripe is with innovation and copy cat policies for stuff thats "new".

Carry on distributing your news, why should the rest of the airsoft community get less information because of my opinion?

At the moment I don't use any chinese AEGs, you're correct....but then thats the wonderful thing with choice, you can chose what you use :D

I dont see any negativity in this thread, merely a discussion of the news. Discussions usually have two, three maybe even a million different viewpoints but thats what makes them discussions.

I personally dont see a temporary raise in price. With the increased value of the Chinese Yuan why the heck would the prices come DOWN after the olympics? If each chinese clone raises in price by 20 dollars they will still sell. If they are still selling then the Chinese manufacturers increase their profit margin. How is that a bad thing for them? I would hate to think that the manufacturers of these products ARENT greedy lol.

See how it goes eh?

I'm already not sure whether to buy a DBoys SCAR or just go for the VFC one and be done with this.

I'm guessing this is really a non-issue.

People who buy what they want will carry on choosing what to buy.

People who buy the cheapest gun will continue to buy the cheapest gun up until it stops being the cheapest gun and then they'll buy something else instead.

Hmmm...

Magz, nice point. That was just the same as I though, reading this topic.Is just the very basic of economics, at least when you want to enter in a market (there are many ways to do this, yep). The Chinese replicas are aforddable, cheap and yet relatively reliable. These products entered with very low prices, making a big kick on the market , and expanding the lower line of products a lot. That´s a fact. But if they want to remain in it, getting prestige and ¨brand name¨, then they can´t continue like before... QC, good materials and research are costly!

Let´s give time to them...

;)

The thing thats bothering me, and maybe its because I must have watched to many gangsta films....but how can a company producing something under the constant threat of closure, its employees constantly under threat from government and Police raids, imprisonment (or worse, i mean...its China <_<) how can people working under this constant pressure ever produce something of high quality?

If airsoft is as illegal as some parties tell us, and the penalties sooo harsh, either these guys are making some serious money from airsoft, or they're borderline psychotic....why take all these risks for a plastic toy...not to mention, a plastic toy the Chinese can't even play with!

This probably explains why we are unlikely to se anything but the rudimentary "innovations" in airsoft from China...I just don't get how and why they do it?!?

In terms of price hike.....you'll probably see a rise in prices, olympic games or not, its the same as the fuel prices...you see a little rise here and a little rise there, if no one complains...thats it, it becomes the new price level.....hands up if anyone in the UK thinks we'll ever see 0.93p per litre again? Hell, we'll be lucky if we ever see £1.05p a litre. Same gies for airsoft guns coming out of China......

Of course, in reality, the phenomenon of price rises will probably affect the whole industry, so as the chinese products rise in price, so to will Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Japan prices.

Inq, Greed.

The profit margins are probably gigantic for the owners of these companies. They've set up shell companies to cover their tracks and the true owners would probably NEVER take the fall IF they were discovered. Its kind of disgusting that we are supporting illegal activities but...shrug.

Well, this just adds to the maduration of this market (airsoft) :rolleyes: . the prices will go high in all brands? Sure, but prices of chinese replicas aren´t going to be steep (though I would´nt put my hand on fire for that). If, more like, pricey :P that´s all.

Oi, wonder about Real Sword Company? And their Type 97? are they chinese? they are legal I think...

Marui has chinese factories of main components, so...

However, I think that´s a bit of reflection for us, hm.

Global commerce,hm. My brain exploded. Just nonsense. I will talk later with my therapist :D:P

Well, this just adds to the maduration of this market (airsoft) :rolleyes: . the prices will go high in all brands? Sure, but prices of chinese replicas aren´t going to be steep (though I would´nt put my hand on fire for that). If, more like, pricey :P that´s all.

Oi, wonder about Real Sword Company? And their Type 97? are they chinese? they are legal I think...

Global commerce,hm. My brain exploded. Just nonsense. I will talk later with my therapist :D:P

Well ;) Real Sword is based in Hong Kong ;) in HK is not "Illegal" mate though its not fully legal in there because more than half of the cargo companies dont want anything to do with Airsoft so i could figure they are scared of raids in their warehouse go figure...

Inq, Greed.

The profit margins are probably gigantic for the owners of these companies. They've set up shell companies to cover their tracks and the true owners would probably NEVER take the fall IF they were discovered. Its kind of disgusting that we are supporting illegal activities but...shrug.

exactly, its same like why some people sell Drugs right? because they dont have so high moral and its huge profit to be made so there is always someone willing to take the risk for being caught.
I'm as chilled as a cold thing on Christmas day in the North pole :D ....I don't have anything against chinese rifles, sure you get lemons, but you get that everywhere...and I've seen first hand what an able skirmisher can turn chinese parts into (mention no names ;) )

Like I said, my gripe is with innovation and copy cat policies for stuff thats "new".

Carry on distributing your news, why should the rest of the airsoft community get less information because of my opinion?

At the moment I don't use any chinese AEGs, you're correct....but then thats the wonderful thing with choice, you can chose what you use :D

hehe no worries mate, its better keep things smiley and happy than being down and miserable :)

Its the actual Guns that price should affect as accessories can send without extra pricetag but i dont know if they will raise the price on those also, could be a side effect and they raise all prices only time will tell.

I dont see any negativity in this thread, merely a discussion of the news. Discussions usually have two, three maybe even a million different viewpoints but thats what makes them discussions.

I personally dont see a temporary raise in price. With the increased value of the Chinese Yuan why the heck would the prices come DOWN after the olympics? If each chinese clone raises in price by 20 dollars they will still sell. If they are still selling then the Chinese manufacturers increase their profit margin. How is that a bad thing for them? I would hate to think that the manufacturers of these products ARENT greedy lol.

I think there is misleading thing in that RMB raising value, that thing is actually bad for people in here as all the prices went up more than the actual RMB have preciated it, many companies have closed their doors because of this, Smaller profits now than what was before, everybody is cursing that in here :P we all are losing money because of this "appreciation"

Pretty much the point I was making.....the only downside to this possible turn of events is that it won't last :(

I'm all for people getting good value for money, hell, I've bought my fair share of chinese guns in my time, and I know people who have done very well by the chinese airsoft movement.....but, I hate the fact that they are riding of the R&D of other companies, and nothing new is safe.....I'm not going to start droning on about the pros and cons of chinese airsoft guns....its been done to death. However, I do think anything to trip the chinese movement up, even a little, goes someway towards the "payback" that Karma demands :D

I think Chinese Airsoft companies dont get the fair treatment as people always think them as "cloners" hey Japanese started all of their high tech by cloning from Germany in the -60 and -70 :P everybody does that at some point and Classic Army surely is good quality but still they are Chinese and made in the Mainland which im pretty sure most of you didnt knew. But the point is everybody starts on copying others, hell Nokia company from Finland started cloning Ericsson and Motorola :P nobody is not perfect there is only way is up like last 3 years have proven it quality have gone up by heaps and bounds.

Eh, for me it is more or less a matter of "How much..." the Chinese manufacturers raise the prices and not the fact that it is happening. I have seen greed kill another hobby of mine in the form of unduly instituted price hikes and I don't want to see it happen again. The Chinese yan doing good? Great. However raising prices beyond a certain point will be the deal breaker for many of the Chinese manufacturers and I would rather see the market saturated with healthy competitors at every conceivable price point is all.

At the end of the day most of my friends teeter back and forth between grabbing a quality gun and grabbing a low cost one. If that price moves I know what choices they will be making. There is only one clone company that seems to be pseudo-immune...Galaxy. I am pretty sure that they could raise their prices to a level that competes with TM and still see money.

Finished with the therapist. :P

Yes, without doubt. The chinese companys will make profit, even with the the price hike.

But how much is the price hike? It will be sufficient to be pretty affordable, thought some people will think more of known brands in the process of purchase. And that´s good.

The thing thats bothering me, and maybe its because I must have watched to many gangsta films....but how can a company producing something under the constant threat of closure, its employees constantly under threat from government and Police raids, imprisonment (or worse, i mean...its China <_<) how can people working under this constant pressure ever produce something of high quality?

They don't just make airsoft stuff in these factories...they make anything you can make out of plastic. My friend who works in the magazine industry went out to have meetings with a company that makes the plastic tat that gets mounted on children's magazines and on the factory tour she was surprised to see some guys shooting what appeared to be machine guns. They hurried that part of the tour on and told her not to worry about that room!

Archived