G&G SUSAT

nuclear_darkness

RIS rails are 21mm. The G&G and ARMY models use a 20mm dovetail.

As LJ said, looks as though the rear lens is futher back than normal. Bet they did this to try and make the eye relief better. Found that removing the rubber eyepiece on my STAR SUSAT made the eye relief somewhat better, G&G must have done it this way as not to compromise the products aesthetic

Quality, been waiting for this for a while along with the other 10 or so SA80 owners at my site. Need sto get me one now, just find out what i need to sell first to get it! Also will it have the traditional SUSAT crosshair sight bit or a normal one??

Also looks better made than the STAR one which always looked too shinny. Hope it wears well too with like bare metal showing after a while so you can get that more authentic look. I hope the ACM market produces a reddot version of this soon too.

Ubar, the G&G and army rail takes regular 20mm rail sights without an adapter, so one would assume this will fit on any 20mm rail. YUM

Nonsense.

People seem to have all sorts of crazy ideas about how rails work. Do people not actually understand this stuff?

Most scopes suitable for a 20mm rail will fit on an L85 rail as long as they'll tighten the extra 1mm.

NO SUSAT will ever fit on a 20mm picatinny rail. Ever. In section, a picatinny rail is hexagonal whereas a dovetail rail is a V-shape. You'd need to file the entire top half of a picatinny rail off to fit a SUSAT onto it.

Finally, I wish people would quit with the whole "Star rail is 19mm and G&G rail is 20mm" nonsense. The G&G rail IS slightly wider than the Star one (by roughly the thickness of the paint) but I suspect that's more due to differences in tolerances rather than a deliberate attempt to make the G&G rail wider.

Having said that, if the G&G scope is a good fit on the G&G rail (you'd think so) then I'd imagine it'll be a tiny bit slack on the Star gun.

On topic (finally) I can't see this selling very well at all.

Everybody who wants a $100 SUSAT has already bought the Star one then filed the paint off the rail of their G&G gun to fit it.

Equally, new G&G or Army L85 owners might decide to buy this but they'd have to be pretty lazy to spend an extra $20 to buy this rather than a Star SUSAT for $95 and spend 10 minutes filing the rail to make it the correct width.

unless its eye relief is better than the STAR version , in which case it may well be worth the asking price.

like most peole i didnt buy the STAR susat due to the eye relief issue.

Yep. Fair point.

TBH, as LJ said, I wouldn't be surprised to find the optics tube in the G&G SUSAT is identical to the Star one but just machined slightly differently so it sits further back into the eye cup.

I say this cos, if the optics were actually different (like they borrowed the lenses from an ACOG or summat) they wouldn't need to resort to such a rinky-dink means of improving the eye relief.

It's pretty easy to do this to the Star SUSAT (depending on model. They change) or, more simply, chop up the eye-cup and push it further onto the scope housing.

So.. no reviews yet? I missed my shipment, darn, I read about the SUSAT few hours too late, they had already posted my order, have to wait now..

Oh, Stealthbomber, some of us prefer to keep their stuff in one piece and if possible to buy accesories from the same producer. I didn't want to file, I'd rather spend 20$ more on G&G SUSAT to fit my G&G L85 than spend 90$ on Star SUSAT which needs me filing rails on my G&G to fit (I simply hate bad lookin outer work on a gun, and whatever you do, it's gonna show).

Tried mailing uncompany to ask if buying Star rail and Star SUSAT is an option for my G&G, they said no, i decided to wait, in the meantime G&G posted their SUSAT as 'coming soon' on the website.

Besides that, reviews on the Star SUSAT show it's not very good quality, like this review here.

Measurements on G&G dovetail rail and CA Colt picatinny rail, show indeed there's a difference, probably Star varies from these too, but to put all that on the account of paint it seems a bit weird. You mean they can't stick to predefined measurements of a metal object but they manage to spray layers of paint of the same thickness', since everyone's waving the same figures around..?

This ain't military grade, doesn't require everything to be spot on to a thousand of an inch, and since we're not talking about clones here (at least by pricing Star and G&G are not, and Army is G&G clone) there might be some marketing issues too, like 'let's make ours a bit off so things don't fit from one to another'. Besides all that, it could be as simple as a faulty mold in one of the factories.

'nuff said, I'm waiting for the first review, and yes, probably both STAR and G&G share internals (hopefully not), but there has to be something slightly different, if not better. And better is what I'm hoping for.

All the best.

Measurements on G&G dovetail rail and CA Colt picatinny rail, show indeed there's a difference, probably Star varies from these too, but to put all that on the account of paint it seems a bit weird. You mean they can't stick to predefined measurements of a metal object but they manage to spray layers of paint of the same

thickness', since everyone's waving the same figures around..?

It's not surprising that there's so much dodgy information around when people simply don't seem to be able to read what's written in front of them.

Go back and read my posts again. Find the part where I SAID the rail on an L85 is the same size as a picatinny rail.

Can't find it?

Not surprising cos I never flipping SAID IT!!! :no:

What I actually said was:-

I wish people would quit with the whole "Star rail is 19mm and G&G rail is 20mm" nonsense. The G&G rail IS slightly wider than the Star one (by roughly the thickness of the paint) but I suspect that's more due to differences in tolerances rather than a deliberate attempt to make the G&G rail wider.

The rail on the Star L85 is fractionally narrower than the rail on a G&G L85.

Scraping the paint off a G&G L85 rail is enough to allow a Star SUSAT to fit.

Come to think of it, the Star rail isn't painted IIRC, it's a dark coloured bare metal. It's entirely possible that G&G and Star rails ARE the same size but, because G&G paint theirs, the end result turns out a tiny bit wider.

Finally, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the paint finish if I were you. You can't see the area where the paint is removed since it's covered by the SUSAT.

Beyond that, I hope you don't think it ruins the look of the gun because I guarantee you that fitting the G&G SUSAT will scrape the paint off the rail anyway. ;)

Anyway, as I said, if a person has recently bought an L85 then maybe they'll opt for this (what with G&G build quality always being such a reliable thing) or maybe G&G are hoping to sell some to people who buy the ICS L85?

That seems kinda twisted to me but, who knows!?

Stealth, I dont have a G&G susat so i dont know if it fits on a 20mm rail, and i was making an assumtion based on my experiences with the G&G rail and the fact that i can fit my acog on it , i never once stated it as fact. Mistakes are made, coming down like a ton of bricks on someone who made a mistake whilst stating that it was mere speculation seems a little harsh, especially from a moderator. What was said by you could have easily been said in a much more friendly and much less "time to prove someone wrong on the internet" way.

Stealth, I dont have a G&G susat so i dont know if it fits on a 20mm rail, and i was making an assumtion based on my experiences with the G&G rail and the fact that i can fit my acog on it , i never once stated it as fact. Mistakes are made, coming down like a ton of bricks on someone who made a mistake whilst stating that it was mere speculation seems a little harsh, especially from a moderator. What was said by you could have easily been said in a much more friendly and much less "time to prove someone wrong on the internet" way.

You've only got to look at the shape of the slot in the G&G SUSAT (from the pictures freely available on this interweb-thing) to see that it's NOT designed to fit on a picatinny rail.

No other SUSAT fits on a picatinny rail.

The G&G rail is NOT 20mm, nor is it picatinny.

You seem to have put together all these incorrect assumptions and molded them into a suggestion that "The G&G SUSAT will fit on any gun with a 20mm rail!!!"

No. It won't.

Apologies if I've hurt your feelings by refuting something dodgy you said.

Given the choice, however, I'd rather it was YOU upset for saying something dumb than some poor shmuk who went out and bought a G&G SUSAT to fit on his M249 cos you'd told him it'd fit.

Or, to give you the short version instead:- If in doubt, say nowt.

Fair enough, i was being a bit thick not thinking that even though my sight intended for 20mm rails will fit on the G&G rail, it most likely wont work the other way round due to the dovetail shape. Lol no hard feelings :)

Fair enough, i was being a bit thick not thinking that even though my sight intended for 20mm rails will fit on the G&G rail, it most likely wont work the other way round due to the dovetail shape. Lol no hard feelings :)

Y'know, there are times when I wish the rep system was still active. If it was you'd be getting a +1 from me now. :D

Today has been filled with muppets of a variety of sorts.

I saw one other guy (in a threads I wasn't involved with) simply say "Oops, yeah. My mistake" after being corrected over something.

Now I read you saying "Oh well, fair enough" and it genuinely makes me feel like there's hope for the forums.

I chopped a lot of stuff out of this post cos it was getting far too soppy but, yeah. Never any hard feelings. ;)

I've noticed on pictures of minimi's in service with brits that they have a SUSAT on there minimi. My question is (seeing as this is a thread about a new SUSAT) is there an adaptor that would allow a SUSAT to fit an a RIS rail.

When Stealth Bomber mentioned the M249 it made me wonder if there was an adaptor and if it was worth getting. I appologise if this seems abit mumbo jumbo as am still abit alseep. I'd love to try and have a SUSAT on my M249 (A&K), seeing as I've just bought DPM's and a helmet to boot (Probably never use the helmet just nice to have the option).

There is a 20mm adapter made by STAR to fit RIS accesories to a 19mm dovetail. However, no there is not a 20mm to 19mm dovetail adapter to fit a SUSAT to RIS.

HOWEVER, Army Code sell (or did at least - I've been out of the loop for a while) a 19mm dovetail rail which you could bolt on to the top cover of a minimi, so that you could fit a SUSAT. If you have a normal top cover, you could bolt it straight on, if you have a RIS top cover, you'll have to rememove the RIS rail, then bolt on the new 19mm dovetail rail.

Like this:

http://www.army.mod.uk/img/welsh_guards/70.jpg

Archived