Picture Review of G&G Susat

sharpeshooter

Picture Review of G&G Susat

Here we have pictures taken of the G&G Susat that I received on Monday. I was going to order this from WGC, but I heard that our Friends at Fire Support had already got some on order which I put my name down for one. They arrived late last Thursday.

I have the G&G Susat fitted on my G&G L85 A2. Delivered total cost of £95.

Probably could have saved £5-£10 ordering from WGC, but it would have taken the normal 2 weeks to arrive and would not have come with the trusted after service of Fire Support.

The scope comes in a hard protective case and a tool to adjust the scope.

318027704.jpg

318027703.jpg

318027702.jpg

318027701.jpg

318027698.jpg

318027697.jpg

Externally the sight is very well made and looks fantastic on the rifle. The optics are Ok and would be very usable on the skirmish field. As expected they are no where near a real susat and are no where near the quality of a good air rifle scope with a price tag of over £100 pounds. We need to remember that most of the cost of manufacture will be in the external build of the scope. If we wanted very good optics from say Japan, the price would be more than double at least.

But they are easily used with both glasses and full face mask and will do the job for what the airsoft player would require them too.

In my opinion so far, they are a great buy and something I have waited for nearly a year to buy.

I have not had the chance to zero the scope in, so I can not yet comment on the adjustments which appear to be well made.

what we need is a comparison with the STAR one. did yuo have the 'pleasure' of looking through a star one, can you compare?

I have never had the chance to look though a Star Susat. But many reviews have stated poor eye relief.

The G&G does not seem to suffer to much from this. For full image when looking through the scope your face needs to slighty touch the rubber eye piece. This can be done while wearing both glasses and face masks (I have checked). With how I remember this is how a genuine Susat is used. Unlike a normal scope where your eye would be several centimeters away.

Also you are able to alter the lens at the front to change the parallax to make the view clear for your own eyes. Not sure whether the Star one has this function.

Externally the sight is very well made and looks fantastic on the rifle. The optics are Ok and would be very usable on the skirmish field. As expected they are no where near a real susat and are no where near the quality of a good air rifle scope with a price tag of over £100 pounds. We need to remember that most of the cost of manufacture will be in the external build of the scope. If we wanted very good optics from say Japan, the price would be more than double at least.

Eh? What? :unsure:

Last time I checked, the chinese were making full-metal guns for the price of a bag of prawn cocktail crisps.

They are also selling VERY good tri-rail 1.5-6 x 28 scopes for only slightly more.

This tells us that there's NOTHING inside or outside the Star or G&G SUSAT that warrants the cost.

They sell it for that cos they know it's the only game in town.

Beyond that, the G&G SUSAT is pretty much identical in use to the Star one. I wouldn't be surprised if the internals come from the same factory.

The bodies are different though, which surprised me. I thought G&G would just copy Star.

The G&G body lacks the insets at the front that contain radioactive stickers and the paint job is much better than the Star one.

Problem there, however, is that the Star one is more realistic.

Eh? What? :unsure:

This tells us that there's NOTHING inside or outside the Star or G&G SUSAT that warrants the cost.

They sell it for that cos they know it's the only game in town.

Exactly, it doesnt warrant the cost but thats the laws of supply & demand. But I dont think I said that it did.

And the main cost of this scope is clearly in the external build. What I said is that, the cost to us would be alot more if they fitted high quality optics.

Exactly, it doesnt warrant the cost but thats the laws of supply & demand. But I dont think I said that it did.

And the main cost of this scope is clearly in the external build. What I said is that, the cost to us would be alot more if they fitted high quality optics.

You said it cost a hundred quid cos of the way it was externally constructed. You went on to say it'd cost double that for decent optics.

I pointed out that the chinese manage to build metal GBBs that retail for $20 and VERY good scopes that cost the same.

Fact is that NEITHER the externals OR the internals are the "reason" it costs so much. The elevated profit margin is.

Star looks better...

Agreed, that forces supply and demand abd lack of competition drives the price on this one. Cant wait for the ACM version to come out coz it will be cheaper.

BTW the eye releif thing is due to the fact that the brow is supposed to touch the rubber of the scope, which is a real world thing, so follows the faults that are inhirent within the SA80 linage.

God Save the Queen :)

BTW the eye releif thing is due to the fact that the brow is supposed to touch the rubber of the scope, which is a real world thing, so follows the faults that are inhirent within the SA80 linage.

Not too sure about that.

If it was possible I, personally, would much rather a SUSAT fitted with the optics out of the ACOG and have my eye an inch or so back from the eye-cup.

Given the hostile response the Star SUSAT has received due to poor eye relief (not to mention the practical limitations of an airsoft scope where the persons eye might be kept 6" back from the scope by their eye/face protection) you'd think G&G would have taken steps to make their scope more like an ACOG if it was possible.

That's why I wouldn't be surprised to find the G&G ACOG has the same tube containing lenses in it as the Star one.

Oh, while I'm at it, you can adjust the focus of the front lens on the Star SUSAT. I don't think they document that feature anywhere in the manual though.

Also, it's always bugged me that Star bundle the multitool with the gun rather than with the SUSAT. EVERY bloody thing on the multitool is for adjusting the SUSAT. The muppets at Star should be bundling it with the SUSAT. Not with the damned gun. :angry:

*EDIT*

Actually, I haven't said yet...

Nice pic's sharpeshooter. Good of you to make the effort and buy one. :)

Any chance of a pic of the underneath of it?

Does it have the fake hazard warnings and manufacturing details under the SUSAT?

Not too sure about that.

If it was possible I, personally, would much rather a SUSAT fitted with the optics out of the ACOG and have my eye an inch or so back from the eye-cup.

Given the hostile response the Star SUSAT has received due to poor eye relief (not to mention the practical limitations of an airsoft scope where the persons eye might be kept 6" back from the scope by their eye/face protection) you'd think G&G would have taken steps to make their scope more like an ACOG if it was possible.

That's why I wouldn't be surprised to find the G&G ACOG has the same tube containing lenses in it as the Star one.

Oh, while I'm at it, you can adjust the focus of the front lens on the Star SUSAT. I don't think they document that feature anywhere in the manual though.

Also, it's always bugged me that Star bundle the multitool with the gun rather than with the SUSAT. EVERY bloody thing on the multitool is for adjusting the SUSAT. The muppets at Star should be bundling it with the SUSAT. Not with the damned gun. :angry:

*EDIT*

Actually, I haven't said yet...

Nice pic's sharpeshooter. Good of you to make the effort and buy one. :)

Any chance of a pic of the underneath of it?

Does it have the fake hazard warnings and manufacturing details under the SUSAT?

Agree with you Shealth, given the neccessity to wear eye protection if this hobby, you would think the dummyies would have taken this into consideration.

However, how do real soldiers get around thhis eye releif thing in combat situationswhen they need to wear goggles or tactical glasses?

As I said seems to be part of the SA80's poor design linage... :(

But does look cooler than iron sights..

Stealth, There is some information and warnings on the underside of the scope. I wont be taking the mount off in order to photo this though.

In my first post I tried to point out that G&G spent more time and money on making the externals than the internals. The optics could have been better, but this would have resulted in higher maufacture cost. And then higher costs to the buyer.

And yes like many things a large amount of the cost is delivery and profit but that is what we have to pay.

I also tried to say that the optics are good enough for our use and the scope is very usable.

The real susat is used with your eye been close to the scope. Thats how the rifle actually shoulders in use.

I have tried both glasses and face mask. I am capable of getting the full image of view while using it. I am unsure whether people can do this with a Star.

So I find that this is a decent, fully usable replica.

The real susat is used with your eye been close to the scope. Thats how the rifle actually shoulders in use.

I have tried both glasses and face mask. I am capable of getting the full image of view while using it. I am unsure whether people can do this with a Star.

So I find that this is a decent, fully usable replica.

TBH, a lot of people are going to be a bit cynical about this.

People said almost exactly the same thing about the Star SUSAT. Seriously, people made the same "It's just like the real one" and "I can see through it just fine" comments.

With the Star SUSAT you need to have your eyebrow just touching the eye-cup to get a full sight picture.

That being the case (with the Star or G&G SUSAT) I really can't understand how anybody could try and say it's fine with goggles or a full-face mask.

My SUSAT works fine with my Wiley SG1s, it's useable (with a reduced sight picture) through my Bolle X800s but I wouldn't even attempt to use it with chunky goggles or a full-face mask.

Would be handy if someone could go to a skirmish and test both the star and this one to see if the eye relief has been - at least - improved.

Tempted to get one but maybe just get a star as it looks more realistic, going by peoples comments in here

someone in a Star SUSAT review said the internals kept moving inside as quoted below, i'm curious if this one does the same. keep us posted about it after giving it a few games will you? thanks.

Despite fixing the reticle issue originally it has since gradually moved out of position again but this time it's not a result of the sealed sight tube becoming misaligned but the reticle itself has moved within the sight tube. As a result it cannot be fixed (although the reticle can be shaken back into position but it won't stay there for long unless you then keep it still & don't use it) and is pretty much useless for aiming with.

PS: not sure if it was a lemon or it's a general fault. here's the original review. Again, interested if this one does the same.

There seems to be a lot of comment regards eye relief on the SUSAT and its relation to the wearing of eye protection. Now while this may be true for the replica it is not true for the real steel sight as has been suggested by one or two comments above. This I know from personal experience. Part of the Annual Personal Weapons Test (APWT) as it once was, was to shoot part of the practice while wearing an S10 respirator at 100m, I have to say that I found the respirator eye piece actually gave me a good stand off from the SUSAT and provided me with a very good sight picture. Such a shame I had to be wearing an S10 to achieve that effect!

But the fact of the matter is the replica (the STARs I have looked through) are nowhere near as good as the real SUSAT, the field of view is too narrow and too dark and of course without a Tritium light source the aiming post cannot be illuminated. I'm hoping that as long as the G&G SUSAT has a somewhat better field of view than the STAR then I will eventually buy one.

Archived