Bling of the AK

1-hit-1-kill

A little something i've always wanted, a blinged AK.. I have a feeling I will ruin it if i dont ask expert advice first..! so here goes!

the plan is to spray an ak47 gold (or chrome.. just to be "different") i've got a jg ak47 tactical, fairly new but kinda bored of the blackness of it already :rolleyes: . So idea is to first try it on the top reciever (because its most simple thing to take off and use as a tester!)

~ My main worry is spraying using metallic colours.. I've never used metallic colours before so i dont know which one gives me the most shiny long lasting bling.

~ What primer do i use for metallic colours?

~ Whats the best paint to use?

Thanks for any input into this topic :) Suggestions, opinions and ranting are welcome :D

P.S. has anyone done this before? if so i'll think of something else to do lol

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to a craft or art supply store and start looking into gold leafing materials. There are "polishable" metal paints.. but gold leaf will look perfect, paints do look really really fake.. Will take some serious time, but will be one hell of a wall-hanger when done. Then you seal it with a spray or brush-on lacquer. There is also a wax that is used on wood picture frames to do the same effect. ALL this is contigent on the finish of the underlying metal.

Alternatively, find a place that does metal plating.

Non taken :)

Lol, yeah thats the similar look i'd like to get  :P So cheesy! I can imagine mirror like finish on paint is hard to achive but i dont think its impossible, i just thought theres a special way of spraying/layering so make it that colour.. Since there are many gold/chrome coloured plastic knobs and handles.

regarding the colour choice its just purely for novelty/comical value (probably have to camo it up in game lol), you've gotta admit its better than some people with 50zillion add on's to their armalites which they think it looks cool yet functional ;) .

Edit: lots of replies since typing! oops! Thanks deepsix for the idea, i might just have a friend who can/might do metal plating.

Well aslong as he takes the retarded tactical front off and replaces it with real wood then gets a custom made AK upper and lower made of gold and sprays that gold it'll be ok

errr why would he get it made in gold then spray it gold? And get parts made in solid gold? lol I dread to think how much that would cost, gold plating alone would be a bit much.

errr why would he get it made in gold then spray it gold? And get parts made in solid gold? lol I dread to think how much that would cost, gold plating alone would be a bit much.

he might want a more cheesy look

and it would cost about 2-2.5k for just the receivers, add the barrel and that'll be 4k please

Those reflective paints look nothing like they do on the lids. I believe Stealthbomber posted a comparison pic of one of them on here recently.

Depends on surface prep. If the surface is perfectly smooth, and the paint can adhere, they look alright. But with a chinese manufactured AK, I doubt the surface would yield the best result. With alot of surface prep, you may get close.

Gold leaf would be totally impractical. It's very, very delicate and difficult to apply. You could use it for something for display only but even handling it would damage the leaf.

maybe not ,if you clear plasticoat spray it or something similar :huh:

Gold leaf would be totally impractical. It's very, very delicate and difficult to apply. You could use it for something for display only but even handling it would damage the leaf.

Oh... I don' know about that... REAL gold plating is pretty vulnerable too... those gold guns are awards and trophies, not generally used, mind you.

But just for kicks, here are two of my projects (not airsoft, meant ONLY to illustrate metal leafing for sake of the thread; end disclaimer ;) )

The first two are shots of a helmet I made for a steampunk Halloween getup I put together, the last picture is aluminum foils over cast resin (yes, a My Little Pony car hood-ornament for a past squeeze). Both of these are VERY durable, and I went through plenty of pains to get these things to look aged, as they come out WAY too shiny and nice! Quality non-yellowing overcoats provide PLENTY of protection, and really... it's VERY easy to work with... just very very messy! :D All the metal you see in the shots are metal leafing foils over something else. They will hug ANY small detail, my stuff was made to look rough, pitted and aged though.

hem2.jpg

helm1.jpg

pony.jpg

just give it a try, I SWEAR you'll become addicted!

:unsure: .. havent smoothed and resprayed yet so texture wise its a bit poor. Looks oookkkk i think... but im unsure what will a layer of gloss will look like... colour wise, its not amazingly bright gold, looks perfect in the light but not quite shiny enough when not in the light.

more pictures when its done, but parcel came today and it contained super90 :D  so that needs to be tinkered with! New toy!! yay...!

post-50997-1213128166_thumb.jpg

post-50997-1213128184_thumb.jpg

Archived