CNC gearbox

Crimson

For those such as myself who wanted to get a haynes gearbox (see the sticky thread on for sales bit) needed about 75 people to get one made at a cost of $175 well wait no more those chinese people have beat you too it and released the CNC Allu gearbox ! I believe its the same material and has the same strength as the haynes version as making it out of a cheeper aluminium would void the point of making this, it looks like the haynes version too.

ebaybanned_cnc_gbox_0206.jpg

@ $150 its cheeper than the haynes and dont need group orders :)

Paul at e banned will have them in soon, info from airsoft news EU:

Haynes made his from CNC Machined Airsoftcraft Alumuinum.

I bet this box is very strong, but his were re-enforced around the gears, and this appears to be a TM Copy.

EDIT: Though I just noticed that the picture is just the top of the box, and not the second half. So maybe the second half has the re-enforcement around the gears. Might be worth something.

I bet if I marketed "CNC'd BBs" they sell like hot cakes. "ohh CNC'd it must be good!!" :P

I got a V2 Systema reinforced gearbox with an M150 in it (in my Nois-As-F*** gun), I radius'd the cylinder window and it's still going strong having done >10k rounds (gun is full auto and usually has a 14.4v battery). My gearbox cost about $50.

I bet if I marketed "CNC'd BBs" they sell like hot cakes. "ohh CNC'd it must be good!!" :P

I got a V2 Systema reinforced gearbox with an M150 in it (in my Nois-As-F*** gun), I radius'd the cylinder window and it's still going strong having done >10k rounds (gun is full auto and usually has a 14.4v battery). My gearbox cost about $50.

Dont know if you actually know about the haynes gearbox but the reason why people wanted it was because its lighter stronger and can support a very high (insane) level of spring i wont quote what the haynes can do because it got the other thread deleted and closed. Systema is all good (3 of my rifles are systema GBs even my mosfet guide uses a Systema GB) but they still break when dropped etc the haynes can stand a lot of abuse.

Ok so this gearbox might be cnc'd but WHAT is it made out of?

Thats the most important question that people should be asking.

...released the CNC Allu gearbox ! I believe its the same material and has the same strength as the haynes version as making it out of a cheeper aluminium would void the point of making this, it looks like the haynes version too.

10k rounds is not a lot for an AEG and can it do it in minus Celsius as well?

Doubt it.

Bjorn

That still doesnt answer my question bud. Its just what you suspect. ;)

Lol its definitely aluminium, what we are saying is what type of aluminium for example aircraft grade aluminium (though that shouldnt make too much difference)

Yeah, just saying "aluminum" is insufficient info. What kind of aluminum? Is it treated in any way? What form did it start in? Billet would be the right answer, but how do we know it's not machined from a cast block of old soda cans? It makes a dramatic difference.

I bet the tolerances on it will be quite good, since that's what CNC usually buys you, but as for strength... ???

...and where's the V3 love?

Still didn't haynes rework some other things, like fine tuning the poor V2 Gear placement? And he reinforced the whole compression area of the mechbox, so it won't snap like other GBes in the cold... So what if this is CNC'd, if it isn't reinforced like haynes is there is is still just like a regular box.... I'll take a haynes please.....

To be fair, this looks okay. But the main problem I have with it is that more "mainstream" CNC Boxes, like the prowin and the Haynes, aren't just A standard V2 that's been milled instead of cast; they've been redesigned, too. The prowin splits and has an attatched hop chamber, and the haynes is redisigned to take a lot of stress off the front, IIRC.

I'd still be interested in getting one of these and seeing what it's all about.

Yep, radiusing is an effective trick. On top of that, Systema makes really nice gearbox shells.

Lol its definitely aluminium, what we are saying is what type of aluminium for example aircraft grade aluminium (though that shouldnt make too much difference)

Saying "it's aluminum" is like saying "it's beer" when talking about an alcoholic liquid. "Aircraft grade" is just a vague buzzword as well. There are quite a lot of grades of aluminum, and it can make (and makes) a huge difference. Not only that, but then comes the heat treatment...

Looks like they cast it and then milled it. It's gonna break.

Yep. Some surfaces look like they were never touched with the machining bit. I also don't believe this is machined from billet, but simply cast first and then finished to look sexy with all the machining marks visible.

I'll pass this one, and if I wanted a machined box I'd go for the ProWin.

-Sale

Odd...

I could have sworn I've commented on this item before.

You've only got to look at the cylinder section of the gearbox, and the detail around the pegs that hold the cylinder head, to see that this isn't milled from billet alloy.

Hell, it might have been produced on a CNC production line for all we know. "CNC" means nothing alone.

The fact that it's cast rather than machined (and it most definitely IS cast) means there's a lot more emphasis on the base material and production methods.

Low grade material or sloppy production means it might be worthless.

Beyond that, all "aluminium" products are actually an aluminium alloy. It might be monkey metal with 2% aluminium content.

It'd take a brave person to buy this for $150 when they could get a Haynes gearbox for $175.

Alternatively, you might get some wannabe buying this, sticking it in a gun with an M90 spring and claiming it's "teh best geerb0x evar!!!".

In either case, I would never buy one of these until I'd actually destruction-tested one for myself and that's not gonna happen to a $150 item any time soon.

I too have a strange sense of deja vu about this item. I swear ive posted about it before in a news thread.

Like i said before and others have echoed already, if its not produced out of a quality forged aluminum i simply dont give a damn about this item. Its overpriced and not worth it.

Archived