Okay folks, my first review so will try my best.

Firstly, i was after a SUSAT to add onto my L85. After having read the reports that the STAR version had plenty of problems and only the high detail as a reason for buying it i decided to have a look around for the G&G. First i tried all the UK retailers and had no luck, then the major HK retailers, again no luck. However GunsNGuys added it to their website so i ordered it to see if it was in stock. Sure enough i received a confirmation email asking for the princely sum of £79. After having paid on a friday morning the box arrived on my doorstep on monday morning. Not bad service from GunsNGuys and even Parcelfarce managed not to screw up!

Initial Impressions

After getting rid of the cardboard box that it came in i was impressed with the hard carry case the SUSAT was in, the graphic cover looks good new but will get ripped eventually, but its a good show for the presentation. The box itself is a thick black plastic job, with two strong latches at the top, has the G&G Armament logo in plastic/rubber on it. The box feels like it would handle a fair bit of abuse without cracking or letting the sight get damaged.

PICT3189.jpg

PICT3190.jpg

Upon opening the box the sight is bubble wrapped and both sides of the box have thick layers of polystyrene foam. The sight adjustment tool is also there in its own individual bag.

PICT3192.jpg

After picking up the sight i was surprised how heavy it was, despite not having used the real thing in a while it feels aound the same weight, if not ever so slightly lighter. The metal is nice and solid and the sight it is finished in a good matt black paint, it is also quite thick so shouldn't scratch off too easily. With a little shake i can feel no wobble in the build of the sight and mount unit, however there is slight movement in the actual sight lense at the front. Its only slight but ill keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.

PICT3193.jpg

PICT3194.jpg

Looking through the sight the eye relief IS better than the STAR version by a very slight amount, using just my eyes and wearing no glasses or goggles, i could get a decent view 1.5cm back from the eye piece. This allows just enough room for me to use it comfortably when wearing my shooting glasses, those with ulkier goggles or full face masks are most likely going to have to squeeze upto the scope. However when looking through the scope the needle is nice and clear, the eye through the needle is blurred and there is rough plastic edges on the inside of the needle, but this doesnt affect the aiming point or vision. The 4x zoom does give a narrow field of view, but i found it okay when out skirmishing.

PICT3195.jpg

Actual Use

PICT3199.jpg

The sight mounts very securely to the Army standard rail. It slides on very easily and secures with the pull up pin which locks down into one of th three whole on the mount. Then there are the standard screws on the side which which secue very well and didnt loosen throughout a full days play.

However, after mounting the sight i went out of the safe zone to zero it and set my hop-up for the day. Firstly i found that the sight gets stuck when trying to lower the vertical angle and despite having numbers from 3 to 8 on the dial i found my dial would get stuck and not budge beyond the 6.5 mark. Next i found that as standard when taken out of the box the left and right adjustments at the front are set to the same length, when mounted on the gun this resulted in the sight aimed so far off to the left that at 30 yards i could not see my rounds going through the sight. To rectify this as best i could i had to screw the sight all the way to the right so there is only enough room for the securing nut to fit on.

However i found that the rounds were going where i aimed when using the BUIS, this shows the BUIS are mounted of centre to the main sight. Therefor whereever your needle is aimed the BUIS will be aimed to the right of it, which makes them fairly useless.

I got a full days use out of it, despite not being able to zero it properly but i will hopefully be able to get this done at some point in the future.

Pros: Ever so slightly better eye relief than the STAR

Fits straight onto G&G and Army rail.

Pretty solid construction

Good painted finish

Cons: BUIS mis-aligned and very little can be done about this

Hard to zero

Zeroing dials dont turn fully so only allow certain range of adjustment

Still pretty close the STAR price

Any questions just ask and ill try and answer them as best i can.

Cheers Sean

Edited by SwatMP5man

So far i've only tried zero-ing it with shooting glasses as they are what i wear. However, since my UK loadout is complete and i have a weekender coming up next week, ill be trying to zero them using my ESS V12's which are a fair bit larger than my shooting glasses.

My overall conclusion after several prolonged uses of the sight make me feel that this sight, like the STAR, is not worth the money and doesnt actually cut it as a worthwhile airsoft sight. If i were to tell people, i'd say wait and see if ICS create a SUSAT or wait for the updated and re-designed STAR one (info from Zeroone airsoft0.

• 2 weeks later...

Update report: Scope is, i'm afraid to say almost completely unusable in a woodland setting. Due to the fact that the lateral control is useless, i have been unable to zero the scope at all. Basically the lateral setting is done by moving two bolt over a threaded bar at the front, this allows the scope to be moved across also. However after the last game i moved it all the way to the right so that the bolt had just two complete threads on the main bar. Even with this adjustment the rounds still appear only at the very edge of the right side of the scope when looking through it.

Final conclusion: Unusable as an actual shooting scope, only worth the money if you want to look gucci. If i had the choice i'd probably wait for STAR to re-release their SUSAT with "improved optics".

Edited by SwatMP5man
Final conclusion: Unusable as an actual shooting scope, only worth the money if you want to look gucci. If i had the choice i'd probably wait for STAR to re-release their SUSAT with "improved optics".

i didnt know star were planning to re-release their SUSAT do you have a date for this as i searched the net and couldn't find any info on it.

great review

• 2 weeks later...

Be interesting to see if Star actualy improve there optics on the SUSAT. Definitly wont be buying the GnG and got to say am a little disappointed at such a high price tag a product ffailing at what it is designed to do, but then again can't say am well versed in the RS SUSAT.

Update report: Scope is, i'm afraid to say almost completely unusable in a woodland setting. Due to the fact that the lateral control is useless, i have been unable to zero the scope at all. Basically the lateral setting is done by moving two bolt over a threaded bar at the front, this allows the scope to be moved across also. However after the last game i moved it all the way to the right so that the bolt had just two complete threads on the main bar. Even with this adjustment the rounds still appear only at the very edge of the right side of the scope when looking through it.

Looks like you are going to have to put shims between the scope and the rail to get it coarse tuned. I had to do that with my G&P ACOG.

Wish someone would bring out a SUSAT Style Reddot.

I got an ACOG-alike from ebaybanned, and it's pretty damn similar to a SUSAT to the casual observer. For £28, it's right on the money, and having full adjustment of the reticle it allowed me to get it zeroed straight away.

I can't help thinking that the OP's SUSAT was faulty though... unless his rail was welded on crooked? Worth a look, I'd say...

Nope, managed to try it with another G&G SUSAT and several ACOGs, the other SUSAT had almost exactly the same problems. The ACOGS seemed to work fine and i was able to zero them in fine. The rail is fitted true to the receiver and the inner barrel is aligned centrally to the outerbarrel and the enteline of the receiver. With iron sights and other optics its is easy to set the sights and have the rounds go where you aim.

I got an ACOG-alike from ebaybanned, and it's pretty damn similar to a SUSAT to the casual observer. For £28, it's right on the money, and having full adjustment of the reticle it allowed me to get it zeroed straight away.

I can't help thinking that the OP's SUSAT was faulty though... unless his rail was welded on crooked? Worth a look, I'd say...

My R85 looks like this with an ACOG onboard

mixR856small.jpg

RT B)

• 6 months later...

I figured what i have to show is important enough to revive this old thread so here goes. The glass lenses in the G&G SUSAT are not ballistics rated, as such today i found a single round from a 330fps AEG was able to smash the front lense from a distance of around twenty metres. Because of this i will be dis-assembling the sight unit tonight and hopefully ordering some flat polycarbonate lenses to replace the front lense.

PICT3310.jpg

• 1 month later...
I figured what i have to show is important enough to revive this old thread so here goes. The glass lenses in the G&G SUSAT are not ballistics rated, as such today i found a single round from a 330fps AEG was able to smash the front lense from a distance of around twenty metres.

Well reminded - any suggestions for a source of suitable lenses?

Rolling - yes.. that is what I mean't. To paraphrase "Is the lense that is broken, part of the magnification system?" If it is, then you is stuffed (IMO). If not, then it will be 'bodge-able' but it won't be as pretty without lots and lots of work.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought myself a G&G SUSAT the other day after they reappeared at retailers, despite reservations after the observations of others I simply had to replace the iron sights when funds allowed. Having seen the upset Swat had with a BB strike on the front lense I've taken the precaution of buying some 2mm polycarbonate sheet from EBay and cutting a disc to fit in front of the forward lense. Additionally I found that a little adjustment back and forth until the right focused spot was found has improved the clarity of the image seen by a reasonable degree, not as good as my G&P ACoG but still an improvement. I'm taking it out for a session at CSW on Sunday so I'll see how it goes.