Red CNC gearbox

Spartan452

Oooh, eighty squids.

Not bad, not bad at all. It's nice to see that they've gone for the "normal" V2 design, rather than the psuedo-reinforced rubbish - too much material in all the wrong places...

And, from what I remember from looking at pics of the haynes, this aint a clone of that. Hell, I'd be rather impressed if the chineese manufacturers knew that existed. This simply looks like they've got a normal V2, given it one or two little tweaks, and CNC'd it.

Still, it's likely to be better than an normal cast gearbox, and at that price,. and including those big bearings, who can argue? Yummy.

Also, can someone that knows they're Aluminium alloys tell us how good 7075 is meant to be? I've heard it around a lot before, btu I've got a seive-like mind for metals ;)

EDIT: Meh, after a quick google, it seems to be a pretty good alloy. To Quote Wiki:

"7075 is an aluminium alloy, with zinc as the alloying element. It is strong, with good fatigue strength and average machinability, but is not weldable and has less resistance to corrosion than many other alloys. It's relatively high cost limit it's use to applications where cheaper alloys are not suitable."

So at the very least, if it is indeed 7075, then it'll be of relatively decent quality! At the VERY least, it doesn't look like it's just a CNC'd lump of pot metal :P

Oooh, eighty squids.

Not bad, not bad at all. It's nice to see that they've gone for the "normal" V2 design, rather than the psuedo-reinforced rubbish - too much material in all the wrong places...

And, from what I remember from looking at pics of the haynes, this aint a clone of that. Hell, I'd be rather impressed if the chineese manufacturers knew that existed. This simply looks like they've got a normal V2, given it one or two little tweaks, and CNC'd it.

Still, it's likely to be better than an normal cast gearbox, and at that price,. and including those big bearings, who can argue? Yummy.

Also, can someone that knows they're Aluminium alloys tell us how good 7075 is meant to be? I've heard it around a lot before, btu I've got a seive-like mind for metals ;)

EDIT: Meh, after a quick google, it seems to be a pretty good alloy. To Quote Wiki:

"7075 is an aluminium alloy, with zinc as the alloying element. It is strong, with good fatigue strength and average machinability, but is not weldable and has less resistance to corrosion than many other alloys. It's relatively high cost limit it's use to applications where cheaper alloys are not suitable."

So at the very least, if it is indeed 7075, then it'll be of relatively decent quality! At the VERY least, it doesn't look like it's just a CNC'd lump of pot metal :P

Just copying from the appendix of a book on my desk:

7075-T6 (UNS A97075)

Tensile Strength: 83 ksi

Yield Strength: 73 ksi

Elongation %: 11

Hardness, HV (Vickers): 150

Mod of Elast. : 10.4 x 10^6 psi

I can add the physical properties if anyone cares.

AL 7075-T6 > AL 7075-0 > AL6061 -T6 > AL6061-T4 > AL 6061-0>

Strong >>>>> weak

T6,T4 is tempering(T) mean the Heat treatment make the strong.

p.s: US Mil-spec is the 7075-T6 and AL6061-T6 with hard coating for recevier and tactical handguard

Archived