Prometheus Hard Pistons

Sonic01

hi all,

I was looking at these and wondering, will they fit my CA MP5? ive never changed my AEG internals so i know nothing about it...

http://www.cobraairsoft.com/advanced_searc...amp;x=0&y=0

Yes it will fit your CA Mp5. It is 100% important that you take the second tooth from the back out or else the piston will fail miserably. This is a shame because this is one of the best pistons on the market. Here is what I mean:

http://www.airsoftmechanics.com/home/content/view/21/29/1/2/

although the first picture looks gruesome the removal of the second tooth prevents the entire piston from failing. Most of the marks on the piston are from the removal process. I used a friends pocket knife and later an exacto knife to remove it.

Good luck!

Yes it will fit your CA Mp5. It is 100% important that you take the second tooth from the back out or else the piston will fail miserably. This is a shame because this is one of the best pistons on the market. Here is what I mean:

http://www.airsoftmechanics.com/home/content/view/21/29/1/2/

although the first picture looks gruesome the removal of the second tooth prevents the entire piston from failing. Most of the marks on the piston are from the removal process. I used a friends pocket knife and later an exacto knife to remove it.

Good luck!

The second one down is the one you're looking for to put in you MP5. They are awesome.

http://www.cobraairsoft.com/product_info.p...11924a223f5d79d

this forum is awesome i love you guys :) question, whats that piston made out of? and how should i remove the tooth?

this forum is awesome i love you guys :) question, whats that piston made out of? and how should i remove the tooth?

It's made of WIN! ^_^

Actually it's made of a great quality Polycarbonate. You can use a dremel if you have a steady hand or you could use a pocket knife/exacto knife/hobby knife if you'd rather.

It's made of WIN! ^_^

Actually it's made of a great quality Polycarbonate. You can use a dremel if you have a steady hand or you could use a pocket knife/exacto knife/hobby knife if you'd rather.

hhmmm a fellow \b\tard perhaps?

yeah i think a pocket knife might be a bit messy...perhaps its time i invested in a dremel....

oh another Q, will changing this part have any kind of performance impact on my AEG?

It's the polycarbonate piston from God himself, I'm pretty sure. The materials are awesome. I just got done (literally about 5 min ago), putting the m14 version in my m14. Cutting the second tooth cleanly really needs a dremel with a milling type bit. Doing it with a knife is about impossible on this polycarb. Removal of the second tooth is necessary, and but the third should be fine in most setups. Make sure to keep that side reinforcement intact. It's what makes this piston the beast of all pistons. Oh, and if you want to swiss cheese it, no problem. You can take out a good bit of material and it'll be just as strong as ever.

UR & Inf + anyone else 'in the know'.

Do you prefer promy over all else?

Am I right in thinking the Torqy one is best for +400fps semis & the other, cheaper one would be for sub 400fps highspeed autos?

Do you only remove the no.2 tooth?

Ive been in the practice of removing no.2 & 3 for hi-speed set ups. Would it be just tooth 2 for std stuff & 2+3 for hi-speeders?

Your opinions are valued.

I've been on CA pistons for a while, which reliably fail at 1800rpm. I would like to step this up & have been considering Promy as an option. As they are not available in the UK (via a UK dealer) I have been hesitant. Your opinions may help me take the plunge & import.

Thanks already to infected, I see you were typing most of the answers as I typed my questions! :D

Greg.

It's the polycarbonate piston from God himself, It's what makes this piston the beast of all pistons.

Sorry, I'm being particularly stupid today!

I know you are refering to the ver7. But I'm running a similar set up in a CA (VER2/3). So which one, the torky one or the cheapy?

Greg.................The Thick!

hhmmm a fellow \b\tard perhaps?

Nope the only forum I'm a part of are airsoft forums and car forums. I avoid \b\ like the plague :P It was a quote that my team used in Arizona all the time for stuff that was friggen amazing. And I was the only one who religiously looked at forums.

yeah i think a pocket knife might be a bit messy...perhaps its time i invested in a dremel....

oh another Q, will changing this part have any kind of performance impact on my AEG?

I did fine with a pocket knife... I guess you guys are NUTS :P You only need to remove enough to prevent premature engagement you dont have to take the entire thing out. I checked, double checked, tripple checked, and quadrouple checked this before installing it.

Any kind of performance impact? Well it will certainly last longer than the stock CA piston will ever last. I consider that a performance impact!

Greg, when money is no object to me Prometheus is the only piston I buy. Short of that I stick to Guarder and G&P pistons or even stock TM pistons as these are all equally well made and last a long time. Will it hold up in a high ROF set up? Yes. A buddy of mine (SilentVectorX on these forums) ran one in his P90 shooting like 32 rps and it is holding up fine. I suggest complete removal of the 2nd tooth and partial of the third for reliability sake though. He has done some other stuff too. You may want to PM SVX and ask him.

I've been on CA pistons for a while, which reliably fail at 1800rpm. I would like to step this up & have been considering Promy as an option. As they are not available in the UK (via a UK dealer) I have been hesitant. Your opinions may help me take the plunge & import.

I'd like to suggest that the ROF set up has more to do with the pistons survival than whatever the piston is made out of, or who makes it. Swiss cheesing, putting in a bigger spring and short stroking, are both things I'd recommend you do. I've recently got a friends g3 sas to above 2000rpm with 3 teeth chopped off and a m120 (about 330fps). Heavily swiss cheesed piston too. Angle of engagement is the other important thing, which you should definately get right, if you're going to run and survive a high rof set up. The g3 hasn't been tested in the field yet, so we'll see how she survives.

When you ask, "the toquey one or the cheapy?" Are you asking if you should get the full tooth or half tooth piston? Unless you're running an ultimate torque up gearset, the full tooth piston should be used.

Edited for spelling, and to add, I use a Madbull piston :P Broke one, after about 50k rds in a 26rd/s setup. So went and got 2 more. Might move over to prommy later.

I remove the whole 2nd tooth, just to save time with fitment and running back and forth between the dremel and the gearbox. As for the third, when you're spacing the piston (with washers / shims) to correct for the angle of engagement, most likely the 3rd tooth is just fine. You might want to remove a touch of it just for safety.

I use this piston in my v2 gearboxes running 400 fps @ 28 rps:

the other non v7 piston is for helical setups (which suck IMO).

I remove the whole 2nd tooth, just to save time with fitment and running back and forth between the dremel and the gearbox. As for the third, when you're spacing the piston (with washers / shims) to correct for the angle of engagement, most likely the 3rd tooth is just fine. You might want to remove a touch of it just for safety.

I use this piston in my v2 gearboxes running 400 fps @ 28 rps:

the other non v7 piston is for helical setups (which suck IMO).

Oh thank the stars. 'The cheapy'.

Now I understand.

Ta.

Greg.

1, Any kind of performance impact? Well it will certainly last longer than the stock CA piston will ever last. I consider that a performance impact!

2, Greg, when money is no object to me Prometheus is the only piston I buy. Short of that I stick to Guarder and G&P pistons or even stock TM pistons as these are all equally well made and last a long time. Will it hold up in a high ROF set up? Yes. A buddy of mine (SilentVectorX on these forums) ran one in his P90 shooting like 32 rps and it is holding up fine. I suggest complete removal of the 2nd tooth and partial of the third for reliability sake though. He has done some other stuff too. You may want to PM SVX and ask him.

1, Me too.

2, Thank you, looks like I'll be getting some in.

As per my question to infected, are we talking about the $32ish, non torque one?

Greg.

For things just like a piston its sometimes worth just buying the sucker in the UK rather than importing considering the higher shipping charge and potential for being stung by customs which is whatever that may be plus 13.50 if you do get picked up.

http://www.airsoftqms.com/index.php?cPath=28_39

Prommy Pistons in the UK for those looking

Hard piston, the MAX is for half teeth gearsets (meaning it's a high torque application)

The only difference between the max and the regular is that you get a half tooth piston. This is necessary if you're running helical gearsets. I've used the regular piston in 500fps applications with no problems. They are made of the same materials. In fact, the regular piston has more material.

Helical gearsets are a joke. They actually CAN'T handle as much force, they just mesh cleaner. Also, any error in engagement will destroy them.

Archived