Affordable Night Vision

thewalkindude666

Was looking around for night vision after i played in a night skirmish and i found this: http://www.gearlog.com/2008/06/night_visio...ur_kids_com.php

I know its kinda goofy looking and will probably break if it gets hit but it sure beats the crude out of buying a 300 dollar gen 1 nvg. i'll put a review if you guys want when i get them because i ordered it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A review i read on amazon says it has IR Leds, which i assume means it would put out a ton of IR light, anouncing your position to anybody else lol..

Yeah, from what I can tell its an active night vision system, like a security camera or a "night shot" system (a la Paris Hilton.).

Unless you were the only one on the field with one of these bad boy toys, it would be like having a flashlight on for an entire night game.

The passive systems are still expensive and I don't really see that changing in the near future... but it is still neat to have a product like this out there.

The advertisement is hilarious: the 11 year olds with rich parents basically stalk the 11 year old with poor parents at night. Effective advertising, if I've ever seen it.

Steve

from the picture it looks as if the led's light up red just like the types in tv remote controls but thoses ones are very dim so i hope the ones on the nvg will be the same way. also if it is too bright you can also get a infrared flashlight for around $100 from a sporting goods store and use that to light up the nvg.

I know its kinda goofy looking and will probably break if it gets hit but it sure beats the crude out of buying a 300 dollar gen 1 nvg. i'll put a review if you guys want when i get them because i ordered it.

This is a toy for kids, to see in dark corridor :)

Yes, kind of night vision, similar to a flashlight, but this one - just red flashlight, nothing else.

You can get a box of this NV devices from Toysrus.co.uk :)

+ Very inexpensive

+ Lightweight

+ Colored feedback as opposed to some other cheapo NVGs that use black+light (eye strain)

+ From the few that have mentioned it they say it feels quite durable (Feels? Feels or IS...not sure there)

- Not passive (IR LED beams from your face...your tender tender face)

- Fugly as sin...sin with a bloated donkey even

- Not a helmet friendly setup

- 50ft operational limit is actually pretty low

- Some people have stated that they have trouble with them shifting on smaller heads

- Some people have reported that if you have a larger melon this is not for you (So both big heads and real small heads have issues? Does this only work for Goldylocks?)

buying a 300 dollar gen 1 nvg

I don't think anyone in his right mind would pay 300 for a gen1 device. The cheapest I know is by Bushnell and costs something like 69.99, but image quality is poor at best. Not to mention a suckier than suck IR illuminator.

edit:

I didn't realize the potential this has for a Splinter Cell cosplay.

Archived