Scope Zero and Hopup

Nem

Adjust the hop up first. You should do this in a long, open, not-so-windy area. The goal is to get to to go the farthest distance possible in a straight line (BBs shouldn't curve up). Its a good idea to make adjustments with the chamber empty. I like to adjust the setting too far at first, so the BBs do fly up, and then slowly back it off until they fly straight.

Once you do that, setup a target a reasonable distance away (something close to the anticipated in-game engagement distance, say 50 feet). Windage adjustment is really the most important part, elevation will matter, but less so (in an ideal situation). From the set distance, aim at the center of your target and fire three shots (aim between shots, don't just fire one after the other bam bam bam). its best to fire from prone, or a bench, or some kind of supported position. Don't just fire from the standing shoulder position. They should land in about the same place. Based on where they land (relative to the center of the target), determine which way the scope/sight is off, and adjust it accordingly. How to adjust your sight I can not tell you, since I don't know what it is. :)

After you make a *slight* change, take aim at the center of the target and fire three more shots. Keep adjusting and then firing until you get it zeroed.

Remember, the elevation setting will only be accurate at that distance (further away point of impact will be lower, closer and it may be higher). If there is cross wind, you will have to account for that, but otherwise the windage should be good regardless of distance. This is why you generally aim for 'center of mass'.

Here's a target you can print out if you need some:

http://www.uncompany.com/information/shoot.../target-big.jpg

Hope that helps! :)

Edit: Oh, and it is a good idea to turn the hop up off when you aren't using the gun. It will prolong the life of the rubber. To set it again, you just need a target the same distance away as when you zeroed the sight. The windage should be unchanged, so just slowly increase the hop setting until the elevation is correct again.

If you switch from using .20g BBs, say, to using .25g, or other wise make changes to how the gun shoots, you should do this all over again.

thanks for the awesome post! thats actually really helpful :D

btw, what distances are we talking about when setting hopup? and i find it difficult to see the trajectory of the bb as its travelling so fast, so should i aim it at a target or something?

btw, what distances are we talking about when setting hopup? and i find it difficult to see the trajectory of the bb as its travelling so fast, so should i aim it at a target or something?

How far really depends on the gun and the FPS. I can't tell you an exact figure, since I usually just eyeball it. Using a target wouldn't hurt, but you could still end up setting it too high (it may actually be curving up right as it gets to the target for example). You could also have a friend (wearing a mask!!!) stand way out and to the side to watch and give you feedback, I suppose.

I find setting it at night can actually be easier (maybe I'm crazy?), so long as you have a good tac light and are using white BBs. The BBs show up really well when in the beam the tac light, and if they are curving up they will leave the brightest area of the beam pretty quickly. :)

Archived