D-boys refusing to change manufacturing process.

BlackHawkHarlequin

http://www.airsoftscotland.com/acatalog/M16_and_M4.html

Taken from the airsoft scotland website...

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the newly enforced ROHS import regulations. We will no longer be importing D-Boys AEG's due to the lead and Chromium-6 content. They have refused to change their manufacturing process for the UK market. Jing Gong have however agreed to make us full metal M4 and M16 models which will be available at the end of September 2008. JG are by far the best quality ACM manufacturer anyway so we have lost only slightly to gain much more in the end

I have had a look at other clone orientated retailers and they make no mention of this.

so what do you guys make of this?

sorry if this has come up before I did search.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TM have refused too, you know. So I'm told, anyway. I think pretty much everyone else is following the new regs. As far as I know, this only applies to retailers and private imports will be hunky dorey - just don't quote me on that, I'm going from a single source here ^_^

EDIT: I think ASCUK have a thread about it.

...Do you guys really think you have to eat the guns or put them in your mouth in order to receive the harmful effects of lead exposure?

Everytime you handle the gun you're exposed to lead content which is never a good thing. Its the same principle as handling bullets. Always wash your hands when you're done.

It does seem a little...dramatic to stop the import of guns that have a very minute lead content but i guess in this day and age where safety is paramount people dont want to take a risk.

TM have refused too, you know.

Thats becuase they only make plastic guns :D

Well, to be honest and filled with controversy.....I can live without Dboys, I just hope all those GBB rifles and high end rifles toe the line!!!!!

Before the flaming torches and pitch forks come out: the TM comment was a joke!

lol wow thats bad news for dboy wont they loose a large market ?

This worries me :(, i have the worst luck (knock on wood), its a good thing i dont own a dboy or JG but for futher reference what about the new TM AK range as they are metal are they safe to handle ? infact what about VFC AK's ? would it be possible to list those or all those guns that are affected please :)

Interesting.... I suspect that the lead content is in the alloy used for the bodies to improving the flow during casting...

But for the life of me I can't think where D-boys might be using hexavalent chrome as that's specific to hard-chrome plating-maybe for the main cylinder?...as my business' Environmental Auditor I thought ROHS on Chrome 6 applied to the PROCESS not the finished product.... the issue being Chrome 6 plating baths produce a particularly unpleasant-to-deal with Chromic Acid waste stream...

The issue may also be to do with what happens to the gun when it's finally broken- technically, containing chrome and lead, it should be classed as hazardous waste :rolleyes:

All very interesting...

lol wow thats bad news for dboy wont they loose a large market ?

This worries me :(, i have the worst luck (knock on wood), its a good thing i dont own a dboy or JG but for futher reference what about the new TM AK range as they are metal are they safe to handle ? infact what about VFC AK's ? would it be possible to list those or all those guns that are affected please :)

why wouldnt they be safe to handle? and i'm talking about Dboys etc here as well. You're talking as if they're made out of plutonium. they're not... they have a small amount of lead in the alloy, it wont harm you unless you eat the gun, in which case i think lead content will be the least of your worries.

VFC shouldnt have any lead. well at least not their AK range. either steel or aluminium. no alloys.

why wouldnt they be safe to handle? and i'm talking about Dboys etc here as well. You're talking as if they're made out of plutonium. they're not... they have a small amount of lead in the alloy, it wont harm you unless you eat the gun, in which case i think lead content will be the least of your worries.

VFC shouldnt have any lead. well at least not their AK range. either steel or aluminium. no alloys.

oh ok cool thanks

Great, now I have to worry about getting lead poisoning while working in my custom shop.

I run a little out of home airsoft shop and I spend quite a lot of time with a dremel tool cutting and grinding on metal bodies and other various parts. Needless to say there is a lot of metal powder dust from this process, and I know I always end up inhaling a bit of it.

I should really invest in some of those safety masks that cover your nose and month, especially after hearing this news.

The dog thing was melamine, which is a plastic product. And apparently been used all over the Chinese industries where stuff has been used to cut costs.

Digestion is not the only way to get lead poisoning as has been said. Especially the guys who dremel the metal bodies should be concerned. And plenty of the auminium alloys are nasty to breathe or digest in dust mode as well, so investing in at least filter masks should be first thing to do.

Wouldn't be a surprise if US followed UK/EU example here and checked up on the lead content in 'metal toys'. If the MBK has high enough lead content to 'rub off' when handling, though...

Archived