Madbull 12ga Shotgun Training Shells

Jin15

Coming soon from Madbull, quite possibly the best solution I've ever seen for a reliable and durable airsoft shell ejecting shotgun.

Madbull's solution? Don't try to reinvent the shotgun, reinvent the shell!

As you can see, Madbull's idea was a simple yet brilliant one. Instead of trying to make a reliable airsoft shell ejecting shotgun they decided to make shells that will fit in a real 12ga shotgun but instead of gun powder and buckshot they hold five 6mm BBs and are filled with CO2/Gas in the back ala Tanaka shells. When the firing pin in the shotgun drops the gas release on the back of the shell is hit and the shell fires.

With this system you would not have to worry about cheap poorly built pot metal internals failing (which is a major concern with every airsoft shell ejecting shotgun) and most people who are into shotguns already own a real 12ga so all you'd have to buy are these training shells to get your airsoft shotgun fix.

The downsides? Well, right off the top of my head I can think of 4...

1) Unless used with 134a/duster or green gas/propane these shells are going to shoot waaaay too hot to use at most skirmishes. But mind you the chrono test was done with a single BB and CO2 at what I believe to be 1000 PSI, so green gas (or even red gas) with 5 BBs should bring it down to a safe level.

2) The lack of an airsoft inner barrel (since we are loading these into real shotguns) means that your range will likely be rather poor... but hey, shotguns are meant for close encounters anyway!

3) I think 99% of skirmish sites would never allow someone to bring a real shotgun on the field (training shells or no) due to the risk of some idiot potentially loading a real shotgun shell into the gun. Anyone who could possibly be so dumb as to do such a thing should have no right to own a real gun of any kind, but I do feel this is a safety risk that most fields would not permit.

4) Many countries in the world do now allow their citizens to own real guns of any kind. Therefore this product will likely only gain popularity in countries western countries like the US and Canada.

So yeah, there you have it! It could be quite a cool product for LE training and general plinking with the potential for practical skirmishing application as well.

What we're seeing in the videos is still a prototype, but it sure does look like it could be a fantastic product for a reliable shell ejecting airsoft shotgun.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea of someone bringing a live weapon to a skirmish, even one loaded with airsoft rounds is a big no.

Plus, on the practical point of if you need the shotgun as a shotgun checking you've loaded a live round is just one more thing to do before you use it.

Don't any of you read the comments on the video? That high power shell is for training simulation, NOT for airsoft skirmishing. They will be producing a lower power version for those who want to use it for airsoft skirmishing.

I agree that it is a BAD idea to use a real weapon that CAN be loaded with REAL LIVE ammo in a skirmish.

As for a non-lethal home defense, these high power shells seem too weak...that's why we have rubber shot and slugs loaded with GUN POWDER.

The idea of someone bringing a live weapon to a skirmish, even one loaded with airsoft rounds is a big no.

Plus, on the practical point of if you need the shotgun as a shotgun checking you've loaded a live round is just one more thing to do before you use it.

Madbull Shell w/reasonable power + Tanaka M870 = winner combo.

Don't any of you read the comments on the video? That high power shell is for training simulation, NOT for airsoft skirmishing.

Er yes, but it's been posted on an airsoft forum - hence my remark that it's not a lot of use for airsoft. D'you see? ;)

Honestly, the only use I can see for these is training. If any yahoo brought a real M870 to a skirmish loaded to bear with Madbull rounds I'd make sure he never fired a single shot from it. There's too much potential for accidents.

Great for practicing clearing your home, sure. Great for force on force, sure. BAD FOR AIRSOFT. MADBULL WTF.

This really is a shame. It is so close to being a great idea but like everyone else here it just seems way to dangerous to be practical.

Madbull Shell w/reasonable power + Tanaka M870 = winner combo.

Would that be possible? I haven't handled a Tanaka shotgun so I'm curious.

I'd just like to clarify my position on these shells, that is, how I personally would use them.

I think they'll be great for plinking and room clearing around the house. Lots and lots of fun for airsoft plinking with a shotgun that I know will be reliable. I've never encountered a shell ejecting airsoft shotgun that I would call "reliable" (even the Tanaka ones are horrible when it comes to reliability) so the ability to do airsoft plinking with a real shotgun would be a godsend.

Now for skirmishing, that's a whole different story. I'd never think of bringing a real shotgun with some of these shells to anything other than a very small (10 people or less) skirmish on privately owned land or a CQB match in a friend's large basement. The shells would of course be gassed up with green gas or 134a for a safe power level.

I can't imagine that any airsoft field in the US or otherwise allowing someone to bring a real shotgun with these shells to a match, there's just too much of a risk for human stupidity. But for a small private game with close friends... well... it would be nothing short of awesome :D

Great for force on force, sure.

I still don't think it'd be good for force on force. If I was a LEO or Mil personnel, I don't think I'd be comfortable with someone shooting an unmodified firearm at me with specialized shells. It just takes one live shell to get in there and ruin your day.

The real way to sell this system would have been to make the shells 1/2" shorter than a 2 3/4" shell, and then custom manufacture a drop in barrel for the Remington 870 that includes an inner barrel with a hop-up. This way, it'd be impossible to chamber, much less fire, a real shell. As it stands now, the product idea, at least for the purpose of airsoft skirmishing is a bit dubious.

That said, I really wish there was a way to do this safely. Paying over twice the price for a Tanaka 870 vs. what I paid for my actual 870 borders on ridiculous when one considers the respective manufacturing qualities of the two items.

Madbull stated they tested the shell with an airsoft shotgun, but recommend using regular Green/Red gas. Its use in real shotguns is limited for LE/Training in my opinion. Even for Riot control, 5 BBs won't deter a riot, unless it was for a single person in like a prison situation or for teaching students at an academy, but the standard 40MM BB shot shell grenade does it job pretty well. Only difference is the power in which I can really think of in its practicality and because its a 12g. shell, a special 40mm launcher is not needed and in training, it can be used for detering attackers/self defense/milsims.

I figure instead of this, I think a a revolver size shell will also be a great addition...maybe stupid, but it'll be a great shell to use with the new Tanaka revolvers. I don't think it should fit with real guns though just to avoid any legal lawsuit and hazards involved with real steel guns in airsoft games.

Another good use of this 12g shell concept can actually be with the use of muskets-style guns. *(load the shell into the barrel with the rod, push the shell in the chamber until it locks in place, pull the hammer, fire, and then the empty shell is released from the internal locks, the barrel is tipped downward and the shell will slide out. -repeat), -only problem is the length of the gun and inner barrel will conflict. A design like this won't allow in inner barrel and if not, the barrel/gun must be a shorter lenght until a correct mechanism is used...I still wish a proper matchlock/musket was made...

One again, unless the person in question was dumb enough to bring real shotgun shells to a skirmish or to not check the gun's chamber to make sure there was not a real shell in it before loading it with airsoft shells than there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

If there are no real steel shells anywhere around and the only shells you had on you were Madbull airsoft shells than there is absolutely no danger in using the gun at all, at that point it's just another toy gun like every other toy gun on the field.

I know a lot people will say there is too much of a potential for risk, but it would take a real idiot to not keep their real shells separated from their airsoft shells in such a way that they could not be confused and to store their gun unloaded so there is no chance of a real shell getting mixed in with the airsoft ones.

So once again, with just a little common sense using these Madbull training shells in a real shotgun is no more dangerous than any other airsoft gun on the field. If you're into airsoft than you shoot toy guns all the time, and once you take the real steel shells out of the equation and only use Madbull training shells in your shotgun what you essentially have is a hyper realistic feeling toy airsoft shotgun.

That's all.

If madbull made a airsoft shotgun to shoot these from to go with it, and that was designed to blow up in your face when fired with live ammo, then it could possibly be one of the better airsoft guns out there.

I dont think madbull made these for games, it's really a no brainer. Bet it was more of a

"could we do it?" thing, basically a set towards making a relieable airsoft shotgun.

currently, I would stick with the marushin type 6mm shotguns as they are the most usable at the moment and the most fun.

Sorry Jin, but I don't think many will agree with you on this. Perhaps it does take an overly stupid individual to make the mistake of keeping these shells mixed with live ones, but do you trust your life to their intelligence?

Even past the potential stupid person, all it takes is forgetting to fully clear your shotgun of live rounds after the day at the range and another slip up of checking it on airsoft game day to make sure it is empty before loading your madbull shells. I will NOT put my life on the line that someone won't make those two mistakes.

This has NO skirmishability, none. If you and your band of local friends are ok with it being pointed at them, I really wish you wouldn't but by all means have at it. Don't say we didn't warn you when that potential and very possible situation happens

One again, unless the person in question was dumb enough to bring real shotgun shells to a skirmish or to not check the gun's chamber to make sure there was not a real shell in it before loading it with airsoft shells than there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

If there are no real steel shells anywhere around and the only shells you had on you were Madbull airsoft shells than there is absolutely no danger in using the gun at all, at that point it's just another toy gun like every other toy gun on the field.

I know a lot people will say there is too much of a potential for risk, but it would take a real idiot to not keep their real shells separated from their airsoft shells in such a way that they could not be confused and to store their gun unloaded so there is no chance of a real shell getting mixed in with the airsoft ones.

So once again, with just a little common sense using these Madbull training shells in a real shotgun is no more dangerous than any other airsoft gun on the field. If you're into airsoft than you shoot toy guns all the time, and once you take the real steel shells out of the equation and only use Madbull training shells in your shotgun what you essentially have is a hyper realistic feeling toy airsoft shotgun.

That's all.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone on this board ever say. A RS shotgun should never be considered a toy gun, thats the mistake gets people killed.

Btw guys they make 1 1/2 inch 12gauge shells:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/pro...ge-all-12-gauge

I'll be honest if someone decided to use these in a skirmish I was playing at for some reason and pointed the weapon at me or my friends, said person would be going to the hospital.

Anyone with proper gun safety training and common sense would know that "Do not point any firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy", and "Empty guns kill." It does not matter if it is unloaded, or loaded with airsoft shells. I don't trust a man pointing a real gun at me under any circumstance, and as said previously, all it takes is one mistake and someone dies on the field. Not fun or safe at all.

The only way I can see this work if it cost less to fire and is used at a firing range. Discharging this on a residential area in real gun would go into the gray area, cause I know in Kommiefornia that discharging a live firearm in a house or car is illegal unless for self defense. If the person owns a large area of land and has a proper backstop, it should be fine.

Archived