CA /umarex HK416

Kristoffer

Yesterday I saw one of the results of Umarex's H&K trademark ownership.

In a brown box, laid a HK416. But the inside of the packing said Classic Army. Umarex actually managed to *fruitcage* things up though.

A very nice HK416 it was. It is a rebranded Classic Army, metal body, a rather nice gearbox. "Working bolt stop", holding the bolt back while you adjust the "Shoot-up" :) (that's Umarexian for hop-up by the way.)

"Blowback" feature included. This is the standard "connect-to piston" blowback, not the Top-tech system. Shooting full auto resulted in the "bolt" being stuck in different positions.

Normal Crane-style stock seems a strange choice.

The trades were horrible. H&K logo was ok, but under it was some "Cal 6.00" bull. The other side contains a message from Umarex, telling you that "they are the only airsoft-manufacturers who has legal H&K trades."

Now, if you have obtained the rights to use H&K trademarks, WHY would you write that on the gun? Why not make realistic trademarks?

http://bildr.no/view/286034

Yesterday I saw one of the results of Umarex's H&K trademark ownership.

The trades were horrible. H&K logo was ok, but under it was some "Cal 6.00" bull. The other side contains a message from Umarex, telling you that "they are the only airsoft-manufacturers who has legal H&K trades."

Now, if you have obtained the rights to use H&K trademarks, WHY would you write that on the gun? Why not make realistic trademarks?

Maybe that's what the real ones have now?

It couldn't be that Umarex thinks that folks are thick cnuts who'll just see the big H&K and then bow down to worship them.

Bonus points though if they brand the UK ones Hockler.

This'll hopefully be a good learning experience for them. Sales will suck and in turn they'll discover that they can not meet their internal company level sales quotes nor the sales quotes which they've promised to H&K (who should be getting a financial cut of every sale made).

You can't put out inaccurately trademarked excrement and expect the masses to buy it simply because it's the only licensed version of a particular product out there. Whether they like it or not, there are many companies out there that simply don't care for copyright issues and will produce copyright infringing products as they'll sell a large quantity of them making a solid profit before enough legal action takes place to stop them. And then another like-minded company will pick up the reigns and start doing it too. Plus while they can stop US retailers from selling copyright infringing products, there isn't a whole lot UMAREX can do to stop buyers from directly importing those products themselves. No, what UMAREX should have done was to produce the best possible version out there bar none, and charge a slight premium to cover licensing costs. That's what Madbull and Magpul have done with a lot of their products and they've done well by that business philosophy. Instead UMAREX has decided that they'd charge a high premium on a series of products that just won't sell well. This'll catch up with them real fast I think.

This'll hopefully be a good learning experience for them. Sales will suck and in turn they'll discover that they can not meet their internal company level sales quotes nor the sales quotes which they've promised to H&K (who should be getting a financial cut of every sale made).

You can't put out inaccurately trademarked excrement and expect the masses to buy it simply because it's the only licensed version of a particular product out there. Whether they like it or not, there are many companies out there that simply don't care for copyright issues and will produce copyright infringing products as they'll sell a large quantity of them making a solid profit before enough legal action takes place to stop them. And then another like-minded company will pick up the reigns and start doing it too. Plus while they can stop US retailers from selling copyright infringing products, there isn't a whole lot UMAREX can do to stop buyers from directly importing those products themselves. No, what UMAREX should have done was to produce the best possible version out there bar none, and charge a slight premium to cover licensing costs. That's what Madbull and Magpul have done with a lot of their products and they've done well by that business philosophy. Instead UMAREX has decided that they'd charge a high premium on a series of products that just won't sell well. This'll catch up with them real fast I think.

Yeah you can, take a look at EA...

We won't buy it, but there are plenty of 13 year olds out there that will see this and think it is 0mGezL337 and they will buy it.

Or it could be a measure to stop people from buying one and cloning it by making the mould out of the body?

Is it engraved/stamped,or painted on?

Doesn't look like Laser Engraving or stamping. It appears to be pad-printed which adds a very durable layer of ink to the surface of body. You could possibly remove it with a razor (do so at your own risk), or you could sand it off using extremely fine grit sand paper, mask off the rest of the body and re-paint the area.

No the trades are laser engraved - but still suck.

The Umarex HK416 is available since 3 months or so in Germany, but i think the haven't sold more than 20 of these till now. Actually retail prices dropped by 10% within the first 2 months, but 450 Euro is still way to much money for the crappy piece of sh** they offer.

I hope like you that Umarex will learn something from this, but i don't believe they will.

Who cares about the shoddy CA with its useless "blowback" plastic bolt now that SRC has released their new 416 series?

From what I've seen of Gen II SRC internals, they're better than CA. Gen III (which these new ones are) have turned that up yet another notch.

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=23832

Bonus being that the trades actually look as good as on the VFC, and they've got a 16" barrel version :)

From what I've seen of Gen II SRC internals, they're better than CA.

Really? I bought a TSD/SRC RPK whose gearbox grenaded after about 1,000 rounds. The *cylinder head* failed, of all things, and took the tappet plate, piston, cylinder, and cylinder head with it, and blowing orange plastic bits all through the gearbox. On the other hand, I don't have a CA with less than 30k rounds through it (I think I own 5, off the top of my head), and none have ever done anything like that. Or even close. I've burned a couple of motors, worn out a couple of pistons, and had a Systema 120S fail in my CQB after about 65K rounds. When I took apart the RPK I also found out that the crappy screws they use on the barrel extension pushed through onto the *internal* barrel and damaged *it*. This was the 2nd RPK from them too, btw. The box the gun came in is so poor that the first one arrived with the cocking handle punched through the hop-up, the pistol grip chipped, and the stock scratched all to hell because there was no separation of parts in the box.

Now, in fairness, TSD sent me replacement parts, and actually a second gearbox with the new Gen III bearings (just not a motor cage). But I was so fed up with dealing with the thing it's still on my "to fix" shelf. As well, I don't have any experience with any of the other TSD/SRC guns, but that's mainly because price-wise, they're just not a good deal compared to their competitors in my opinion. *Especially* now. Why would I want one of their RPKs when I can get an LCT RPK kit for $350? Yes, I've got to put a barrel, hop, and gearbox in it, but the quality of the steel and wood is HUGELY better on the LCT kits. I notice that ASGI has dropped the prices on TSD's stuff, but at least with their AK stuff, it's not even close to worth it. I'd buy (and have) the Dboys / Kalash steel/wood guns before I bought another TSD.

Okay, I wandered WAAAAY off topic there.... :blink:

Sorry about that.

Yeah, Umarex sucks. :P

Jesse

Lol, they actually were trying to sell a CA gun with ugly trades on it for 500e?? :D

They are - but nearly nobody is buying. Umarex made all mistakes you can make in the Airsoft market in the past and they continue doing that. They are famous for cheap and rubbish products coverd by oversized and unrealist trademarks.

Archived