Nova TM MEU Kits

chris u'5

When I installed the Nova A1 kit onto the MEU, I didn't have to do any fitting to the Nova kit itself. However, it did require some filing/sanding on the frame housing rails/spacer and the top of the blowback housing to properly sit in the slide.

I saw these on GnG the other day, under Prime as the manufacturer. They also have silver and 2-tone.

When I installed the Nova A1 kit onto the MEU, I didn't have to do any fitting to the Nova kit itself. However, it did require some filing/sanding on the frame housing rails/spacer and the top of the blowback housing to properly sit in the slide.

I saw these on GnG the other day, under Prime as the manufacturer. They also have silver and 2-tone.

Thats what I'd classified as "fitting" I didn't have to modify the kit, in fact the fit between the slide and frame is fine. But once you put the guts in you need to start messing with the BBU to get it to work....There are slides that you don't have to do that(ie, any of my SD slides)....

But a counterpoint to that, once fitted the fit of the Nova kit is pretty amazing. No slack or sideway play to speak of. Where as SD slide feels sloppy on stock, AS, and freedom art Hi-Capa frame...

Impossible you say?

1. I've had the Prime Series 70 silver kit (prior to the release of any Nova kits) and the Nova Warrior kit (both TM A1 kits). I say Prime and Nova because they were both labeled as such. Now, I would say the finish of the kits and the engraving depth/font differed slightly (different color and trademarks) but the only difference of the packaging itself was the label. They both used the same hooked-in-frame plunger tube design and included standard thumb safety/slide stop plungers (IIRC, PGC uses the TM stock plunger tube and plungers) and packaged the parts in similar zip lock and plastic wraps, all within a similar packaging outer bag. Perhaps you are thinking of the cardboard box packaging that some other Prime kits use (for TM P226 or WA 1911s) which the Series 70 kits was not packaged in. If so, I could stop here but I'll continue with why I believe my previous post may be true anyway. :)

2. Comparing the photos from ASG, GnG, and Nordic, you'll note the similar height/thickness/font of the "CAL.45" marking on the right side of the frame between Nova and Prime whereas the PGC kit appears slightly smaller/thinner.

ASG Nova MEU kit

GnG Prime MEU kit

PGC MEU kit

3. Sure, the frame spacer, grip bushings, plunger tube, and plungers all appear in the ASG photo but not in the GnG, however, I received all said parts in both my Series 70 and Warrior kits. Besides, GnG stock photos of metal kits tend not to show those parts anyway even for PGC kits.

4. Also, if you browse through GnG's website, you'll note that they don't list any Nova parts (or at least I haven't found them) but do have a section for Prime. I can't help but note how similar many of those TM specific parts look to Nova parts listed elsewhere.

5. Then there's the Vickers kit, which either both Nova (RM's and Jerry's) and Prime (GnG) chose to produce, or not. I'll also note that the finish of the barrel/chamber looks quite similar to that of the Prime Series 70 kit.

Granted, there is the possibility that both Prime and Nova chose to produce many of the same parts and custom designs on their metal kits while using similar packaging materials and methods. However, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility to consider that GnG Prime listed parts and Nova are indeed the same.

I haven't been to the GnG website for a while, but I've seen lots of Nova parts in their shop in person. I know because I found a Nova beavertail when I was looking for Prime. They called the manufacturer and placed an order for me, instead of pointing at the Nova which they had in the shelf.

Maybe they really are listing them as Prime on the website. Funny buggers. I'll have to ask about that the next time I'm down there.

-Sale

Archived