Paratrooper M14 Project

fishsquatch

Paratrooper M14 Project

Goal – Attach a side-folding stock to a TM M14

Criteria – Sturdy, functional, and allow for internal battery

Side-Comment – Ideally a paratrooper stock would include a pistol grip, but rather than chop a new DMR stock, I decided to chop a spare standard stock.

Inspiration for Project

372221157_P24x7-M.jpg

Side-folding stock – After a fair amount of deliberation, I decided on a LR300 clone.

The first step was chopping the stock.

365835980_QUL5t-S.jpg

Base shaping

365835996_AEoKq-S.jpg

387189651_sScqK-S.jpg

Internal mounting bracket. It’s simply a L-shaped piece of steel flat stock. The upper edge presses against the top of the grip and the lower edge is bolted to the bottom of the grip.

Body molding. To enhance strength, JB-Weld was used as the body putty. The interior of the grip, from the bracket back to the folding stock mount, is practically solid JB-Weld. A bit of trimming and sanding was done to remove excess glue.

387189673_wubrW-S.jpg

The LR300 stock was shortened about an inch so the extended length is identical to the standard full-stock length. A bit of chopping, grinding, and welding was needed to shorten the stock and remount the bolt tab.

369375352_iuig8-S.jpg

369375363_4YJNd-S.jpg

Grip with stock folded

372414835_8jejw-S.jpg

Battery compartment mods – spare parts acquired from Airsharp. Gas slide inside stock removed and remaining external arm fused to charging arm (I may or may not get around the making this look better). Outer barrel clamp cut in half to hold battery in place. Finally, the wiring was rerouted to the front of the stock.

393509678_crsmX-S.jpg

To be continued . . .

Completed project

392088591_um2Ke-M.jpg

392088589_oniEP-M.jpg

Sturdiness test – gun suspended by folding stock and there is no flexing.

392326387_hUrCd-S.jpg

Field tested. Other than the shortcomings of the small stick battery, the para-stock worked well (I typically use a 4400 mah large battery in the solid stock, which can last a two-day op without needing to be changed). When folded, it is noticably more compact than the solid stock and allowed the M14 to be used in a vehicle. It also felt much more maneuverable in a CQB environment. When extended, it felt and functioned like the solid stock.

Thanks. I think it turned out OK as well.

Fantastic work there. I can't help but think, though, that the stock should have been upside down to get the shoulder lined up a bit, but that might just be me.

The folding-stock alignment is the same as the full stock.

Impressive work there fish. How long did it take you to complete that mod?

About a year of pondering and parts acquisition. Once I got going it took me a few days of intermittent putzing. My little brother did the rewelding of the mounting tab on the folding stock after the tubes were shortened.

Can the rifle be used with the stock folded, or does the positioning of the stock prevent you from getting a proper grip on it?

Yes, it can be used while folded (that was kind of the whole point of the project). A close-up of the grip is shown above. Here's a pic of me holding it (before I finished the charging arm).

372414849_7yQAk-M.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I think you should do this on a VSR-10 or some other bolt action sniper rifle. That would make a super erganomic, lightweight, and portable sniper rifle. And you wouldn't Have to worry about re-doing the wiring for where a battery would go, as there is none!

Archived