Tanaka Busted

harborne blue

wouldn't the be to do with the Cassiopia system ones? (however you spell it)

Yes, I suspect it's the models that uses a cartridge. Years ago, Asahi also got in trouble for this with their M40 which could be used to fire flechettes. I personally don't think anything serious would result of it, but who knows...

Yes it was the Cassiopia/Casyopea guns.

From the UPI:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/11/10/Jap...49631226355921/

Tokyo's Metropolitan Police Department last month seized 800 Cassiopeia's from the toy maker's factory after Internet fans of the gun posted messages saying it could be converted to a lethal weapon if gunpowder was used instead of the gun's pressurized gas cartridge, Yomiuri Shimbun reported Monday.

The Metropolitan Police said their own tests allegedly confirmed the Cassiopeia could be modified to fire consecutive rounds of pellets with force strong enough to potentially wound or kill, Shimbun reported, noting the gun has only been on the market since last July.

Copyright 2008 by United Press International

They better crack down on steel mills that are manufacturing potenial steelpipes of death! No to mention welding torches! For with whoms flames, such destructive devices are possible! And ball bearing manufacturing! If you open one of them suckers up you, you'll have perfect musket shaped ball!

It is a difficult argument to oppose the IMAGINED potential harm of an item once the public accepts the media accounts of its danger. Someone once wrote that an elephant was a mouse designed by a government committee. In the same vein laws designed by government to protect the public have no limitation on the size they will grow too. Nor the freedoms they will crush in an effort to "protect" us from ourselves.

Some one from one of the other threads said that the hammer doesn't even work that way. You'd honestly probably be better off using a few office supplies and a .22 to make a zip gun.

Im not sure exactly how but if you take a shell apart its quite simple, the fill valve is at the rear so its cant be set off from the rear like a real shell, the inner part has got a sort of metal ring at the front of the shell that when pushed back fires it off, so when you pull the trigger im guessing it just pushes the shell forward onto an internal part that resists on the metal ring setting it off off the shell *FROM THE FRONT* not rear.

If anyone wants to purchase a #*limited edition*# Saa i can get you one for a qa drillion pounds

some photos for ref ;)

001.jpg

004-2.jpg

Potato guns are easier and cheaper to build, not to mention more fun to fire. ;) Might even be more effective.

messages saying it could be converted to a lethal weapon if gunpowder was used instead of the gun's pressurized gas cartridge

The Metropolitan Police said their own tests allegedly confirmed the Cassiopeia could be modified to fire consecutive rounds of pellets with force strong enough to potentially wound or kill,

Japanese Police may well have taken an interest in the system due to reports of 'gunpowder can be used', but read above again theres a bit of info as to why they took an interest and theres a bit of info as to what they found. The two arent neccesarily the same.

all that they actually confirmed is that the gun can be 'modified to fire consecutive rounds of pellets with strong enough force to potentialy wound or kill' - which could just be a case of it being capable of a foot pound or two rather than the regulation 1 joule. ie some sort of breach of the firearms and swords control act and nothing to do with the gunpowder stuff..

This all happened because someone posted on a forum that it maybe be possible to fire an actual round. Remember now, internet serious business.

On a mroe serious note I do feel sorry for Tanaka but like what has alreayd been said it could just have to do with the fact they maybe able to fire over the one joule rule that is in place in Japan.

This isn't the first time this has happened to Japanese gas gun manufacturers. I'm not talking about Asahi either, it was much more recent.

I belive it was related to Digicon and their OTT NBBs. But they were asking for it. Tanaka don't intentionally pump skat that can hurt ppl.

Japanese Police may well have taken an interest in the system due to reports of 'gunpowder can be used', but read above again theres a bit of info as to why they took an interest and theres a bit of info as to what they found. The two arent neccesarily the same.

all that they actually confirmed is that the gun can be 'modified to fire consecutive rounds of pellets with strong enough force to potentialy wound or kill' - which could just be a case of it being capable of a foot pound or two rather than the regulation 1 joule. ie some sort of breach of the firearms and swords control act and nothing to do with the gunpowder stuff..

That's true and the thought had crossed my mind. I dunno what else I was thinking because that seems to make the most sense. Something still seems wrong with the whole thing though.

Someone once wrote that an elephant was a mouse designed by a government committee. In the same vein laws designed by government to protect the public have no limitation on the size they will grow too. Nor the freedoms they will crush in an effort to "protect" us from ourselves.

+1 to that brother!

Archived