Guide to proper motor adjustment/bevel gear shimming

crunkathon2k

As you guys can tell from my multiple posts concerning problems with my ICS m4, I'm quite the novice with version 2 gearboxes. I think version 3 gearboxes are much easier to use because of the motor cage, which eliminates quite a few problems concerning the bevel gear and motor adjustment.

That said, I will post my personal, hard earned experience concerning getting V2s to be as easily adjustible as a V3.

1. Strip the AEG down to the gearbox

2. Take the upper gearbox shell, and put in the bevel gear (properly shimmed and all)

3. Now, time to make a "motor cage." Take your grip, put in the motor, and screw it in completely. We will use this to get a good visual on the pinion/bevel engagement.

4. Align the upper gearbox shell and the "motor cage" as if it were sitting in the gun.

5. Pay attention to the bevel gear/pinion gear. Is the bevel gear slanted/pushed? If so, the shimming of the bevel gear is off. Make it higher. Likewise, if the meshing is too far spaced, the shimming is high and you need to lower it.

6. After properly shimming your bevel gear, adjust the motor height accordingly- get the pinion gear and bevel gear to mesh perfectly.

7. Reassemble.

Archived