Marushin Anti Material Rifle

Horsem4n

airsoft-news has reported a tasty rifle coming from Marushin. its an anti material rifle so it is the first airsoft gun emulating a gun that shots a bullet bugger than .50 cal. i hope its really good, the potential of an 8mm bb to be a better sniper round than a 6mm bb is pretty great (at least i think so). no news about anything other than its a big gun shooting 8mm BBs unless you can read Japanese. can someone translate please?

anybody want to discuss 8mm ballistics? i want it more than a their M1 Garand

you think its .50 cal or 20mm?

link

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the potential of an 8mm bb to be a better sniper round than a 6mm bb is pretty great

there is no potential. 8mm BBs are larger and thus suffer from air resistance far more (thus losing speed and and energy quicker) no to mention also being easier to blow off course than a 6mm of the same mass, also easier to spot which is the last thing you need as a sniper. 8mm fails miserably, always has, always will.

the gun is fugly too, looks like marushin threw together some odd parts they found in the shed and tried to sell it.

A heavy 8mm is an ok round up to 40m-50m, from say a Garand or an old M1 carbine.

I had swapped a non-LD2 barrel on a M1 carbine NBB onto a M1 Carbine GBB which had a LD2 barrel, and running that on propane with 0.45g. It was ok at about 50m. But given the energy level of the gun, and the weight of the round, you could probably do just as well with a 0.43g BB.

A heavy 8mm is an ok round up to 40m-50m, from say a Garand or an old M1 carbine.

I had swapped a non-LD2 barrel on a M1 carbine NBB onto a M1 Carbine GBB which had a LD2 barrel, and running that on propane with 0.45g. It was ok at about 50m. But given the energy level of the gun, and the weight of the round, you could probably do just as well with a 0.43g BB.

a 6mm 0.43 would perform better for all of the reasons i stated above. can't argue with physics.

maximum feasible weight is higher in an 8mm, if you ran a .65, Or even higher (which I doubt you could do in 6mm, aside from metal bb's) The bb would retain its hop effect much longer, and therefore travel straighter longer.

8mm Could rock, but no one out there makes super heavy weight bb's for it. Let alone a good system to deliver em with.

The gun looks fine aside from the sights.

the reason we havent seen the possible performance of an 8mm bb is cause nobody ever made a useful sniper rifle that shoots it. all the good 6mm bbs came when they brought out sniper rifles, whose to say some company wont make a good bb for an 8mm rifle?

but then again i don't have that much hope in a performance arm from marushin.

I really, really want a scrimable M1 =/

No one being able to figure out how to fix the "clips stop ejecting" issue and general reliability as stopped me from sending marushin my first born

maximum feasible weight is higher in an 8mm, if you ran a .65, Or even higher (which I doubt you could do in 6mm, aside from metal bb's) The bb would retain its hop effect much longer, and therefore travel straighter longer.

but surely that would be countered by drag which would cause the BBs to loose their kinetic energy (and thus range) faster than an equivalent 6mm BB. as i said before, it's also a larger object and could therefore be blown off course easier.

guys, face it, theres a reason 6mm took off and 8mm didnt. 8mm isnt a recent development, it's a dead horse that mr marushin has been flogging for many years.

Perhaps if i wanted to do an Olympic 2012 loadout but sadly i dont.

:D:lol:

yould do olympic shooting with a 20mm rifle?

I think the rules only allow 22LR and .177/.22 air rifles :P

They need to lose the hooded olympic style sights, replace with M16/M4 BUIS front and rear, replace the wooden stock with a monolithic aluminum or polymer one, be detachable magazine fed from the side or bottom, and have some sort of adjustable cheek piece and a scope mount, then it would work. Otherwise, its just a frankengun.

I really, really want a scrimable M1 =/

No one being able to figure out how to fix the "clips stop ejecting" issue and general reliability as stopped me from sending marushin my first born

Is the M1 worth it for a backyard plinker? The "clips stop ejecting" issue is worrying me.

but surely that would be countered by drag which would cause the BBs to loose their kinetic energy (and thus range) faster than an equivalent 6mm BB.

No, heavier means more momentum, you gain mass faster then diameter, and thus mass beats drag. The equivalence argument doesn't hold up.

In RS ballistics weight and velocity are the most important factors in long range shooting, followed by aerodynamics.

a good example is .50 BMG, not a very aerodynamic round, in fact its aerodynamics is really poor, but it overcomes this by sheer power and weight.

Before someone points it out, yes I know all airsoft guns are blowguns, and that most RS ballistics don't apply,

As i said before, it's also a larger object and could therefore be blown off course easier.

This is also not the case. While its true when you compare 2 objects of the same weight, it is not true of things that have the same density (assuming same shape). If they are the same weight by surface area, then they will be effected in the exact same manner by outside force (wind, also, this in in theroy world, obviously the forces of friction might make a SLIGHT difference in how thery are effected, but were talking un noticeable differences.)

RADIO MATH TIME KIDS!

A 8mm sphere is approximately 268 cubic mm, with an approx. surface area of 201 square mm

a 6mm sphere is approximately 113 cubic mm, with an approx. surface area 113 square mm (Odd...)

Which do you think can hold more weight safely? (for reference, the volume of the 8mm is over 2x larger, while the surface area is under 2x larger, which means I AM WIN SIR!)

guys, face it, theres a reason 6mm took off and 8mm didn't. 8mm isnt a recent development, it's a dead horse that mr marushin has been flogging for many years.

8mm could be good, right now it ain't, but someone makes an 8mm aeg, or some super nice heavy weight rounds, and then well have a race.

As is only one company actually develops guns for it, and surprise surprise they also make the bb's

You're right in the theory MCXL but you're missing one big point:

Safety!

As you say you need way more weight to gain at least the same flight charactersitics at same speed.

I think in UKAN some years ago (when it existed) someone calculated it to be 1.7 times the Energy IIRC.

You see, to make it a practicable sniper round, I wouldn't want to be at the receiving end at all.

As my_plague_666 said, for airsoft use it's a poor round as you need way too high Energy to compete with 6mm.

Archived