Realsword 56?

bloodybiscuit

ive heard two totally different sides about this gun. one being that its not worth the $ but the externals are excellent! others say the gun is totally worth it and shoots like a dream... Ive also heard of a lot of problems people have been facing such as mag compatibility. Hopefully this thread can help future RS buyers get an idea of what their getting form people who used them..

All opinions/experiences with the Realsword 56/56-1 is welcome

DSC09017.jpg

its a 400FPS+ capable setup that shipped initially/predominantly with a 280 to 300 FPS spring.

The mechbox casting and its internals are excellent - very well shimmed steel gears, chrome plated switch contacts for fire select and trigger, decent wiring and clean solder work, good quality piston, piston head, cylinder head and tappet plate

Uses a standard (non-bearing) spring guide though its decent enough and made out of POM, same as all the plastic internal parts like (non-standard) piston and the switch block etc Certainly more effort and care gone into specify parts than VFC et al spend on theirs

Has some nice internal features - foam rubber inserts glued inside the receiver to keep everything nice n snug, beefed up fireselect mech for same reason, ARL release accessible by removing the pistol grip.

diclaimer- following is based on my early production one so some may not apply to current ones

Issues:

The hop rubber and bucking is mismatched for the low power spring

hop unit adjustment is far too agressive - apply much more than half of its available travel and you're in real danger of obstructing the bore

Ideally replace the entire hop unit for a TM one - at the very least replace the hop rubber and bucking if you're using a low power spring

Could have been avoided hassles:

Mechbox removal - hop unit srews onto the outer barrel and outer barrel is held onto the front trunnion by 2 grub screws under the rear sight block. Its has improvements on the Guarder/Inokatsu way of doing that but it still doesnt make for quick gearbox removal you can do on a VFC/Dboys. Remove the hop up screws and there still isnt room for the hop unit and inner barrel to slide forward clear of the gearbox - which means you need to remove the rear sight to access the two hidden grub screws that hold the outer barrel in place any time you need to free the mechbox from the gun ...Well either that or mod the assembly by milling out the rear of the outer steel barrel (so you can remove the two hop unit screws and slide the hop and inner barrel forwards along the outer barrel)

stick battery fitting - hole in the rear upper handguard retainer could d with being just a teeny bit wider. As it is its just barely wide enough to slide a stick battery thru it. Get it wrong and you can snag the plastic outer sheathing of the battery - not really an issue with a standard 7 cell pack, but if you want to run a longer 8, 9 or 10 cell pack then battery fitting needs a bit of care and fiddling to get it to go in 'just right'.

Mag compatibility - other than it doesnt lock plastic AK74 style mags I couldnt tell you asthats the only other thing I've tried to fit in it. Instead I've stuck with the Real Sword midcaps and those have been fine. The RS mags are nicely built and finished. (If we're getting really anal then those are the only chinese style ribbed metal AK mags out there anyway)

sooo, assuming:

A you havent been landed with a lemon (seen couple of folks who seem to have lucked out there)

B you havent got an existing bundle of airsoft AK mags you already own and want to recycle/share with it

C you dont mind changing the hop rubber and bucking to get best out of a low power spring

and

D you dont have an overwhelming urge to take mechboxes out of rifles to play around with on an hourly basis

its a damn nice rifle with a lovely fit n finish

One of my teammates just got one of these.

His was shooting 415-424 with G&G .2 BBs

I have yet to open the mechbox, but the diagram for the disassembly guide shows it has a METAL spring guide, rather than the old plastic ones that redwolf said they had.

The externals are simple elegant. It feels right, weight and build material are superb.

bolt is the old marui style design easiest way to keep it in place is wrap some tape around the part of the stick battery that sits behind it to reduce the available inwards play (just dont pad it so much you end up unable to retract it at all when you want to reach the hop)

mags have fair bit of side to side play (doesnt affect them feeding)

Besides the Real Sword Mags, what have you found feed best? I tried Stars and those didnt feed for *suitcase*. Id like to get something cheaper than the Real Sword ones.

The STAR AK74 magazine I have performs similarly, so this isn't a RealSword specific problem. However, MAG and Tokyo Marui magazines work great in every AK I've ever used/seen them used in, although none of those AK's include a RealSword.

This is an awesome topic. I will have some stuff to add as soon as my T56-1 comes in the mail!

EDIT: Nice review man! Really, it's excellent! The picture quality is superb as well. I saw one or two spelling mistakes, but I see no reason why you couldn't win. But it did make me wish I had ordered an extra nozzle and Promy barrel... :( The hop up shouldn't be an issue though, since I ordered a Guarder sp120.

Snorkel, i see what your saying about the whole hop up adjustment. will this problem be fixed if i upgrade the spring to a higher FPS?

if yours is firing 280 to 300 then the higher rated spring should give you enough oomph to have the hop work properly without dialing in loads of adjuster travel

If you're happy enough with the 280 to 300 FPS and dont want to go to 400-ish (or strip the mechbox to fit it) then try a softer rubber n bucking

wont solve the problem of 'being able to dial in so much adjustment that you block the bore' (swap the hop unit out entirely for a TM one etc to reduce that) but will give you sufficent hop that you dont need to set the adjuster that far in the first place if you see what I mean

jviola - only 7.62 style mags I've got here are the real sword ones for the type 56, rest of my AK mags are plastic AK74 style ones (rest of my AKs are all 74 variants) which don't fit the T56

Just add my 2c.

The gun itself smelt and felt like a Type 56 on the range, And yeah feels near indestructable. Its heavy for an airsoft gun, much like the real Type 56 is heavier than say a commercial Ismash AK.

Internal wise, most things are good except motor, which was "low torque" compared to some of the Chinese guns out there today. The motor is the only weak point really. Shoots nice and straight.

I broke the airnozzle on my first disassembly. It fractured as soon as I touched it. But RS was kind enough to provide a replacement. The issue is that one MUST take apart the barrel to get the mechbox out, otherwise it wouldn't have happened.

The rifle is devoid of most of the issues a regular Marui based AK usually have. The finishing is just top notch.

The rifle is well worth the money, for display and field use, but if one is just aiming to be practical, then the D'boys AKs are nearly as solid and feels good enough.

If only it had kick, then it would complete the picture. Thats my only real complaint.

Gearbox is very well made and gears are shimmed almost perfectly. I just need to add a 0.1mm shim to the sector gear but even that is optional. I agree that the motor is the weakest because it is really whinny when pushing the M120 spring. Spring guide is made of white plastic with a spacer at the end much like the TM design.

Bevel gear, sector gear and the piston is different than normal V3 parts. Hop up is a copy of a TM unit but it is attached to the front end. There is a little gap between the hop up unit and the gearbox so a slight air leak is unavoidable. I tried shooting with the hop up push tightly against the gearbox and result in a 10 fps boost.

The lip of the RS magazine is thinner than TM compatible mags so it won't fit in the mag catch unless you dremel a little material off to make it thinner.

Hop up is still pretty inconsistent and I am wondering if the hop up bucking is any good because I already changed the nub to a white element H nub. May be it needs some break in for the barrel and the bucking.

Can't say much about the stock performance because I only shot a few bbs before I took it apart and upgraded the spring.

if yours is firing 280 to 300 then the higher rated spring should give you enough oomph to have the hop work properly without dialing in loads of adjuster travel

If you're happy enough with the 280 to 300 FPS and dont want to go to 400-ish (or strip the mechbox to fit it) then try a softer rubber n bucking

wont solve the problem of 'being able to dial in so much adjustment that you block the bore' (swap the hop unit out entirely for a TM one etc to reduce that) but will give you sufficent hop that you dont need to set the adjuster that far in the first place if you see what I mean

jviola - only 7.62 style mags I've got here are the real sword ones for the type 56, rest of my AK mags are plastic AK74 style ones (rest of my AKs are all 74 variants) which don't fit the T56

i just took the RS to the local shop and got an M120 in it

i think this will make my gun preform much better

I love my Type 56. I got it used off of a team mate, and have never had any problems with it. The gun has been shooting 400 with upwards of 15v for over a year now, and the only thing that needed a replacement was the spring. (This was due to it being compressed for a while. Had nothing to do with the gun itself.)

I have also been so impressed with Real Swords quality that I recently purchased another gear box to stick in my RPK. My gearbox was one of the new "pre-upgraded" type 2 gearboxes. Out of the box it comes shooting around 400, and has a new piston and high torque motor inside of it.

I've been using STAR 105 round ak mags in mine, and have not had a problem at all with them.

I feel that I should also talk about Real Swords Customer Service. I have been in communication with them about ordering parts for my RPK. At first I was apprehensive about the fact that they may not have good customer service, or would be unwilling to work with me on ordering parts. However, once I started talking to Real Sword, I started to realize that they have some of the best customer service in the airsoft community.

I would recommend that anyone who has a chance to buy a Real Sword, should buy a Real Sword.

Well, I got my gun and it is quite nice. However, the stock has around a quarter inch of play to either side when folded in. Is this normal?

EDIT: The problem is that the whole folding mech, when screwed together, has a wider gap then the thickness of the body, causing a bit of left to right play. Also, shortening the screws won't help, it's how the mech fits together. Should I make a shim?

Nice review, and great comments all!

Do you folks think this gun would benefit at all from dropping a MOSFET into it? I know there were concerns with the motor, and vers. 3 contacts are always a bit fiddly...just wondering what you could do to beef this already rock-solid gun up on the inside?

Thanks...

Thumpy...OVER

A mosfet + proper rewiring(16AWG, Deans connectors, soldering motor connectors) + good battery will help any gun. It usually results in a 30% rof gain but with this gun might settle the weak motor issue.

Archived