TM Sig Sauer P226 review

Marui Sig Sauer P226 review

(please excuse the lousy pics, my digicam is but old and feeble, and I compressed the jpg's too much. But you'll live, I hope) :P

tm226_8.jpg

First impressions

Picking the P226 up without the magazine, it feels a little light, but that's an illusion. The gun weighs 500g, which isn't light at all - my metal upgraded KWA G18C weighs less than 450g without the mag, and my KJW P14 FMV weighs just 600g without mag. So, I figure the P226 gives an impression of being light because of its bulky shape, which suggests a heavier weight.

The body's plastic quality is the usual TM fare:

tm226_5.jpg

-attractive, clean, matte finish with some faint mold lines here and there. Same ol'.

The plastic material itself is a dull, non-heavy weight deal which makes the gun feel and sound a bit hollow when you play around with it without the mag inserted. With the mag inserted, the gun feels more solid and serious. Racking the slide produces a crisp, hollow-ish plastic sound, which could be mistaken for flimsiness unless you're familiar with TM guns.

I can understand why some new owners feel hesitant to run this gun on propane, but knowing TM's GBBs, I'm not worried - even though the slide rails on the frame are mostly plastic:

tm226_1.jpg

The metal parts look good, except for the rear sight:

tm226_6.jpg

-which has an ugly, lumpy mold line on the left side. The recoil spring guide rod is metal, and so are the sights, all the controls, trigger, hammer, and so forth.

tm226_4.jpg

Oh, today I also had the chance to handle a KWC P226 GBB - which made me appreciate the build quality, finish and feel of the TM even more. The KWC offering simply looks and feels like junk.

The TM P226 uses a rubber piston cup like their Glock 26 and M9:

tm226_2.jpg

tm226_3.jpg

-and unlike their Desert Eagle Hard Kick and Hi-Capa, which use a piston head with an O-ring (metal piston head unit in the Desert Eagle's case).

The magazine flow valve is of the same type as the one in the TM Glock 26 magazines, with a visible spring just behind the release button.

Shooting

The magazine can be difficult to load, if you do it by pulling the follower all the way to the bottom and loading the BBs through the hole just over the follower. That is because the follower seems to snag on the seam running across the lower part of the magazine:

tm226_7.jpg

-making it somewhat difficult to pull the follower all the way down (it does get easier with a little practice, and after a little breaking in). Of course that's not a problem if you use a speedloader.

On green gas (propane), the blowback is lightning quick, if not very hard, much like the Hi-Capa. This is where the similarities between the two guns end, though. Unlike the Hi-Capa, the single action trigger pull is very long and sluggish (very much like the HFC M190), making single-handed precision shooting very difficult. To shoot the TM P226 properly, you have to use a very firm two-handed grip and a swift, deliberate trigger pull.

Where the Hi-Capa is a good target gun because of the short, light trigger pull, the P226 is all about combat. Of all the guns I have, I think the P226 is most similar to the upgraded KJW G27. Both have a sort of sluggish-like trigger pull, but are remarkable rapid-fire performers, as you can see in the accuracy test results below.

Performance

To get a better idea of the 226's relative performance, I've also tested a bunch of other GBBs.

Test conditions:

Air temp: 17 degrees C

Gas: Ultrair Power Gas (propane)

Ammo: Excel .20g

FPS

TM P226 A: 273

TM P226 B: 272

TM Hi-Capa (full upgrade w/ PDI 7" barrel): 334

KJW G27 FMV (w/ 7" PDI barrel and TM G26A magazine) : 331

KJW P14 FMV: 280

KWA G18C (full upgrade): 265

WA Infinity Expert 6" (AI flow restrictor, Guarder hammer spring): 297

HFC M190 FMV: 291

notes: both stock P226s performed identically: decent and very consistent power.

GROUPINGS (fired from free-standing two-handed weaver grip)

(the value in parenthesis indicates rapid fire grouping)

TM P226 A: 2,5cm (7,5cm)

TM P226 B: 2,5cm (8,5cm)

TM Hi-Capa (full upgrade w/ PDI 7" barrel): 3cm (12,5cm)

KJW G27 FMV (w/ 7" PDI barrel and TM G26A magazine) : 3cm (7,5cm)

KJW P14 FMV: 2,5cm (13,5cm)

KWA G18C (full upgrade): 4,5cm (16,5cm)

WA Infinity Expert 6" (AI flow restrictor, Guarder hammer spring): 3,5cm (10,5cm)

HFC M190 FMV: 3,5cm (9cm)

notes: notice how similar the results are for the P226s and the G27 - very tight rapid fire groupings compared to the other guns.

A couple experiments

I left the P226 and magazine in the freezer (-21 degrees C), then took it out after 20 minutes and fired it. First shot actually fired a BB (weakly) and cycled the slide fully, next shot the gun was frozen solid and dumped the gas out the top. After thawing for 20 minutes and soaking in silicon oil, the gun functioned and performed normally again.

Then, I left the gun and a full magazine in the refrigerator (2,5 degrees C) for 20 minutes, then took it out and immediately rapid-fired the whole magazine. Power and recoil was reduced, there was a lot of gas venting going on, forming clouds around the gun, but all BBs were fired and were placed within a 11cm grouping at 5 meters range (wasn't really aiming as this was primarily a low-temperature test). The recoil was too weak to lock back the slide after the last BB, and after a few more dry shots the gas was spent.

Conclusion

There are three things the TM P226 has to offer:

1: it's a P226 that isn't junk,

2: the excellent (rapid fire) accuracy, and,

3: the usual TM quality, reliability and performance.

Pros:

-decent power

-excellent combat accuracy/controllability

-excellent reliability (I have yet to experience a single malfunction of any kind, during normal use)

-seems to handle propane reliably

-it's a Sig Sauer (and a TM) :P

-nice overall finish and feel

Cons:

-faint seam lines, not so faint mold junk on rear sight

-feels a little light (but isn't, though)

-slide rails are mostly plastic (not necessarily a real con, considering the durability of TM GBB plastic)

-it'll be expensive (and maybe somewhat difficult) to upgrade to full metal

Recommended. :)

tm226_9.jpg

Edited by Utty

Aye good review mate, but I stand by my choice of the DE.

I found the trigger pull, gun to eye draw and overall weight to be wrong for me. It is, as it should be, rigged for law enforcement and a two hand firing posistion and stance, neither of which I ever have time to adopt (think about it, most of the time I draw the pistol is because I'm out of AEG BB's and consiquentally am hidden behind cover. Shooting from there tends to be on handed and this gun will shoot too high).

Anyway, thats my comments.

Nice review!

That's an excellent review for people interested in performance like me. :) Most scientific testing I've seen in any reviews! Respect to you.

Edit: The power, though consistent, does disappoint somewhat. :(

Edit 2: I just checked the UPS tracking for my P226, and it is out for delivery today! :) Hmm, maybe I'll have a fouth opinion on the piece after I get mine. :lol:

Edited by Shao14

Are the fps averaged? If so, over how many rounds and what were the individual figures?

Also, it might be me, but did you mention the range at which the groupings given? Just re-read - Were they all at 5m?

Nice review, though.

Cheers.

Edited by snowman

Shao, keep in mind the air temperature was only 17 degrees C. Oh by the way, I also tested the P226 on Abbey Ultra - the resulting fps was exactly the same as with green gas.

Also, I don't really think my tests are very scientific. There are too many variable factors present - for example, not all mags were given the same amount of time after filling with gas, and not all guns are in optimal condition, maybe some of them could use a bit more lubing, cleaning and fine tuning.

And concerning the accuracy, I used .20g ammo, which is hardly optimal for accurate target shooting, I'm sure several of them are better suited for .25g, .30g or even .43g ammo.

And then there's the fact I used the same grip and mostly the same trigger pull method for all guns, maybe a different grip and/or trigger pull would work better for some of the guns.

The tests are more like casual experiments and a general, tentative indicator of what one might experience with that particular ammo, grip and trigger pull method, at that particular temperature, etc. :)

Snowman, yes the fps values are averages over 10 rounds. I don't remember the exact figures for the P226 and can't test right now as I'm not at home, but they were all within something like a 10fps range - the power consistency is probably also one of the reasons for the good accuracy.

Oh yeah, I guess I didn't state that by the test results, all accuracy tests were done at a 5 meter range.

Basho, some good points there. :)

Edited by Utty

Of course there are a lot of factors that can contribute to variations in test results, especially if you want to compare different guns, but the fact that you used the same ammo, the same grip, and mostly the same trigger pull method for all guns is good enough for me, and by carrying out 10 shots and average the result, some of variations in the random factors are further decreased. I believe the results obtained by the procedure you described are decent, at least, indications of the relative performances between the different guns.

Snowman, yes the fps values are averages over 10 rounds. I don't remember the exact figures for the P226 and can't test right now as I'm not at home, but they were all within something like a 10fps range - the power consistency is probably also one of the reasons for the good accuracy.

Oh yeah, I guess I didn't state that by the test results, all accuracy tests were done at a 5 meter range.

Cool - Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I got to take a look at one of these earlier today, down at Ambush Chobham.

I must admit it didn't look bad, but the seams under the frame and dowwn the grips are quite obvious, if not quite as prominent as some early pictures made them appear. The slide looked very good - Too bad this part is probably the bit most people will throw away!

I only handled the gun without a mag (Should've asked to shoot it - Duh!), but the weight seemed ok and the working decocker is a nice feature, even if it did feel a little gritty in operation.

The finish looked pretty good. It did not look plasticy to the eye and, as you expect even from TM's springers, the markings were deep, sharp and clear.

The owner (Thanks for the look, whoever you were :) ) was very enthusiastic about the gun, claiming it'd outrange an AEG.

Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and buy one for review, after all...

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Nyehe. :P

So I've tested the PDI piston head now.

Conditions

Air temp: 23 degrees C

Ammo: .20g Excel

Gas: Propane

10 shots per gun

P226 "A" (stock)

min: 286,8 fps

max: 293,8 fps

P226 "B" (PDI piston head)

min: 282,6 fps

max: 288,8 fps

Notes

Gun "A" has always shot a little harder than gun "B", so the PDI piston head is not to blame for the marginally lower FPS scores. But we can also see that the PDI head doesn't boost power, at least not in this particular gun. What it does seem to improve very slightly, is shot to shot power consistency. But, in stock condition, power consistency is already superb, so there's no real improvement.

Also, it seems that PDI had trouble beating the performance of the stock piston cup - the PDI head has a VERY tight seal in the cylinder, so much that at first, the cylinder could not move freely back and forth on the piston at all - when firing, the gun worked and performed normally (which I hadn't expected with such a tight piston fit), but sometimes the slide would fail to lock back after the last BB was fired.

Now after some use, the cylinder is beginning to be able to move back and forth, but still not enough for the loading muzzle to stay stuck in the chamber when you manually pull back the slide, as it does on a stock gun. The slide now locks back consistently on an empty mag, though.

Conclusion

PDI piston head worth it? No, not at all, not at summer temperature anyway. I'm not sure what the tight piston fit would do for cold weather performance - perhaps something good, maybe something bad?

For now, stick with the stock. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
sorry for necroing, but i really need the guides to take out the inner barrel from the hop up unit, so i can change it with the tight barrel, anyone can help me?

Theres not much to do really, there are 2 screws to unscrew, open up ( 2 halves, ), remember how it looks, replace stockbarrel with tightbarrel, reverse your actions.

Really easy, or id you encounter problems?

• 4 months later...

I brought this yesterday :wub:

But the retailer is holding it until I get on the UKARA database :rules: , but they will bring it along to events for me until then.

First impression of it was that It was a little on the light side but that might be to do with perception of the bulf of the pistol.

Haven't tested yet, hopefully at next CQB event in April.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the TM P226 and I've not really used it in skirmishes yet as I'm quite new. I'm considering upgrading the body to a full metal body because even though it does feel rugged I don't want to risk the plastic breaking. Comparing the rugged feeling of the P226 to the TM M9 the P226 is a winner. The M9 is incredibly light and feels like it could break very easily compared to the P226.

I've got the TM P226 and I've not really used it in skirmishes yet as I'm quite new. I'm considering upgrading the body to a full metal body because even though it does feel rugged I don't want to risk the plastic breaking. Comparing the rugged feeling of the P226 to the TM M9 the P226 is a winner. The M9 is incredibly light and feels like it could break very easily compared to the P226.

To be honest i would not bother changing to a full metal kit i did this with my P226 and the performance of the gun has been nothing but disapointing so much that i bought another plastic standard one which is both reliable and accurate, also dont worry about the body breaking as my plastic one has seen loads of abuse and with the exception of a couple of scratches it works as well as it did the day it came out of the box.

I also have a TM M9 and they are pretty rugged and would only break if you threw it onto concrete repeatedly which you are unlikely to do in a forest during a skirmish.

curlyboy

For plastic pistols the TM guns are very rugged, the M9 does feel a little flimsy but i have had metal one's and they feel fragile as well (especially the safeties) and the plastic one i have is fine but i use a real Serpa holster so the only time i have to worry about damage is if i drop it and thats why it is on a lanyard but i have not had anything break off any pistols in over 4 years of pretty intense skirmishing and they were mostly all plastic.

As long as you have a good holster that holds the pistol and it does not bounce up and down when running or the pistol is loosely held that is more likely to break your pistol than anything else but dropping it which is more your fault than the build of the pistol.

curlyboy

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...