G36 'KSK' Rail Run

Panoptes

Interest check only - nothing is yet firm.

I have access to 'reasonably' accurate (we think) CAD and 3D drawings and a highly experienced metal machinist who is getting back to me soon on a bulk-run price for a KSK Rail.

Interested? We'll probably need 20 or more for this to become viable.

Flame away. ;)

KSK_interest.jpg

:)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm it doesn't look like the "KSK rail", as it's only as high as the G36C rail on the drawings above. The "KSK rail" is higher than the G36C rail. However this seems to be the better choice for me, as I always thought the sight line with the KSK-rail is higher than it should be.

http://justflecktarn.co.uk/images/kskplan.jpg

I took some really awful photos to demonstrate what the mounting slot things on a g36 rail look like, could probably do with some better dimensions though.

And yeah I'd be intrested, would prefer to keep it below 50 quid a unit though.

edit:

Missed the bit about the cad thing :x

Hmmm it doesn't look like the "KSK rail", as it's only as high as the G36C rail on the drawings above. The "KSK rail" is higher than the G36C rail. However this seems to be the better choice for me, as I always thought the sight line with the KSK-rail is higher than it should be.

Feedback is good. :) Nothing is set in stone at the moment and we can tweak/adjust so that we all get the product we want. For copyright reasons, I can't show the drawings here in detail but if you have some suggestions as to dimensions etc, please fire away with your thoughts.

Are these going to be machined by hand or done on CNC machine?

I hate to ###### on everyones chips but if they are being done with CNC £50 at a production level of about 20 units is extremely unrealistic, thats £1000 for 20 rails sale price.

I've also been speaking to someone i know who owns an engineering company about producing parts via CNC and £1000 would be more like the set up cost for the rail, then the cost of actually maching it, and thats going off the prices i've been quoted for making runs of 100+ for small products.

If you did 200 or so £50 might be possible though.

Are these going to be machined by hand or done on CNC machine?

CNC I think.

I've also been speaking to someone i know who owns an engineering company about producing parts via CNC and £1000 would be more like the set up cost for the rail,

£1000? Feed the schematics in, hit the tit. Ok, I know it's probably not as straight-forward as that but we'll see what he says.

Designer has seen the above and will change height (if that's what peope want). :)

If the drawings you have are already on computer and can simply be converted to go straight to a CNC machine then it won't cost as much, but if new ones need to be done or they need modifying you'll be paying a lot for the setup.

Even if you don't need to splash out on setup costs you'll be looking at quite a bit to machine such a small quantity of rails, then anodize them and add VAT on top, £50 is still a bit unrealistic then i'd say.

Thanks. We'll have to see what the quote is. I, for one, am not expecting it to be much lower than £80 or so. The anodising (if he can do that) will increase costs too. The machinist is aware of the cost of the real-deal so let's see. :)

What are people's thoughts on the rail? Do you want a 100% accurate KSK rail (I've been told there are several different versions) or just something KSK 'style' and 'close enough'?...

:)

I´m interested in it, as long as is a reasonable replica of the real deal.

The one in the drawings is too low, as others have stated, and should be .25 inches higher.

It is also too short, as the one in the drawings is the same length as the G36C rail and the current KSK rail (as there seems to be various versions) reaches the back end of the receiver. Measuring an Army Code body, the rail should be 35.5 centimeters long, with the "bridge" 20.5 centimeters long.

By the way, depending of the cost I would order more than one, probably three.

Nothing is impossible but you could just use MP7 iron sights?... again, it's a cost issue.

Yes, MP7 sights are what's actually used by the KSK (and others using the KA1) as it doesn't have integrated flipups.

The pic Frakk2k linked to is of the rail on the Norwegian KJK G36KV3, which is different and the same height as the C-rail.

What kind of price are you estimating here?

I've got a few friends who'd love a KA1 rail too :)

The one in the drawings is too low, as others have stated, and should be .25 inches higher.

Thanks.

It is also too short, as the one in the drawings is the same length as the G36C rail and the current KSK rail (as there seems to be various versions) reaches the back end of the receiver. Measuring an Army Code body, the rail should be 35.5 centimeters long, with the "bridge" 20.5 centimeters long.

Hmm. Ok. :)

What kind of price are you estimating here?

Not really sure but my fingers are crossed. If it's too 'spensive, it's real-deal time. ;)

By the way, I am not really sure that it has to be exactly .25 inches higher. I heard it somewhere (probably in the G36 pictures thread) and reproduced it here.

QuiN has a real rail in his custom G36 KSK, so we could contact him and ask him to get the exact measurement.

It´s not a problem of an specific brand.

The problem is that airsoft rails are 5 millimeters or so longer than real steel ones and if you put a real rail in an airsoft G36 it will not fit right, no mater the brand.

As I said QuiN has a RS KSK rail in his custom G36 KSK, and some other guy (can remember his name) fitted a RS dual optics carry handle, and both had the same problem. The rear part, the one whit the two screws, fits with no problems, but the "bridge" of the real steel parts is slightly short and the screw that goes in the front post of the body does not fit. You have to enlarge the hole, and it can be done with a round file in ten or so minutes, but the carry handle will not be flush with the body post and this will protrude approximately 5 millimeters from the front of the carry handle, and the carry handle will be said 5 millimeters behind where it should be.

The measurements that gave in my previous post are not those of the real part, but the ones for a rail that fits exactly an airsoft G36, as where taken from an Army Code body, that is, or so I think, compatible with all aftermarket rails and carry handles no matter the brand.

Archived