Dboys SCAR Heavy version

chas

[/img]

Personally, i am not that hype about the SCAR H....

Yes, it has the correct butt cheek now, and i think! it has the correct receiver... but am a MASADA man :P

Not at all making fun but that just made my day :D Will we be seeing midcaps for these anytime soon? That's the only thing putting me off from the H atm.

The whole issue with magazines puts me off all these new 7.62mm NATO assault rifles somewhat. There doesn't seem to be much compatibility between various brands and the magazines themselves don't appear particularly easy or cheap to get a hold of, especially compared to 5.56 NATO style mags which are two a penny.

thing is, KA brought out cheap plastic midcaps for the m14 once the clones started coming out, i'd bet that once this comes out, we'll start seeing some cheap mags for this.

i guess the problem is that a lot of 5.56 mags are exactly the same design shared between a trillion different armalites, L85's, SCAR's, modded g36's etc. whereas the subtle differences between m14, G3, SCAR, SR25 mags etc make them less appealing as the customer base is less, if you see what i mean. kind of hard to describe. what im trying to say is somebody can sell their 5.56 mags to the owners of many many different compatible guns because they all look pretty much identical. somebody producing G3 mags can only sell to people with g3's, thus making them a less appealing product from a business point of view.

if this SCAr is compatible with other H versions, i'd expect cheap mags to come out. might even use sr25 mags ?

I do see what you mean mate. End of the day, it's kind of down to the way real weapons have developed I think. Back when the M14, FN FAL and G3 were standard issue rifles NATO wasn't so big on the whole standardisation lark, obviously that includes ammunition and magazine types, and different mags had to be made for all the different AEGs. Sort of coming to the end of the cold war a lot of people decided smaller rounds like 5.56x45mm was the way to go (for various resons) and STANAG mags proliferated, which only needed 1 design of AEG mag and worked in loads of stuff. Whereas in the more recent conflicts 556 seems to have shown it's downfalls (i.e. sheer lack of knock down punch) so 7.62 NATO has become a lot more popular in more rifle designs, the likes of the SCAR-H, SR-25/M110 and the like showing this.

So now there's all these new airsoft weapons whose RS counter-parts all use the same round (and same updated sort of mag I believe) but the airsoft manufacturers haven't really got together and decided on a common format. It's a bit like Blu-ray/HD-DVD in a way I suppose.

As far as it taking M14 mags, I certainly hop it doesn't. An M14 mag would not be correct, it should be an SR25 mag.

Out of curiosity, what do you base that statement on? The real SCAR-H uses proprietary mags unless they have made some change I am not aware of. While it might be visually more accurate, neither are technically correct and using M14 mags gives you a lot more options. That's why I got a Star SCAR-H. Just saying....

It does look pretty nice though, curious to see how it holds up.

The SR-25 mag would functionally be a lot closer though, being locked in by the side like an armalite, rather than the front+back like an AK or G3. End of the day I suppose just copying whichever SCAR-H is already out there with magazines closest to the real thing would be the best course of action.

The SR-25 mag would functionally be a lot closer though, being locked in by the side like an armalite, rather than the front+back like an AK or G3. End of the day I suppose just copying whichever SCAR-H is already out there with magazines closest to the real thing would be the best course of action.

exactly. But the STAR/ARES uses the same mags as their m14.

And that's why it gets people mixed up about it.

I really do hope for decent mid/lowcap mags for scar H especially the VFC version.

I do not know of which the Dboys is based of. VFC (hope so) , CA (hope not), STAR (second best)?

Out of curiosity, what do you base that statement on? The real SCAR-H uses proprietary mags unless they have made some change I am not aware of. While it might be visually more accurate, neither are technically correct and using M14 mags gives you a lot more options. That's why I got a Star SCAR-H. Just saying....

It does look pretty nice though, curious to see how it holds up.

I was basing my statement on the looks of the magazine. An SR-25 mag is closer to the R/S mags than an M14 mag.

My guess is that they will use the same (SR-25) mags as the CA SCAR-H. Since Dboys cloned CA's L it would stand to reason that they will base there H on CA's as well.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see what the actual production guns look like.

Things can certainly change between prototype and production.

Personally, I don't care what mags it uses as long as they are .308 size, are readily available, and look semi-correct.

Archived