Camp + Wargame

chowiez

Camp + War game (2 day duration)

Okay, so it’s a crazy idea with many flaws but I thought I would share this with all of you. It is a continuous game for 2 days. There will be no stopping unless someone is badly hurt or the objective is completed. Things that are obvious and compulsory will need to be done. E.g. cooking, sleeping and toilet break. I hope that you can contribute to this game plan. I understand that the game site suitable for this game type is VERY rare, but I am just concerned about the game play more. The game site can be found later as there are many campsites to choose from. This is just a rough draft. So there WILL be flaws. This is what I have come up with:

Rules and regulations

All players must be able to read a map and know how to use a compass. If not, people can get lost in the battlefield.

All players must wear goggles or mesh masks at ALL times. No exceptions. Even if you are wearing bright orange and walking around unarmed.

All players must have a radio with spare batteries, this is for emergency and for tactical messaging with the commander and his squad.

Situation

There is a platoon (red) on one side of a hill and another platoon (blue) on the other side (40-60 VS 40-60)

Your objective is to eliminate the enemy and liberate their base by capturing the flag in the heart of the base. Each base should have good defenses like good cover and maybe a few deployed machine guns)

The amount of tents that make up the base will depend on the numbers attending.

At the end of the day, everyone will be rounded up for a big BBQ.

Game play

Commanders of each base will initiate assaults on the enemy’s base. Anything tactical is up to the commander. This is from the movement to the enemy base and the ambush of the enemy base itself. The number of people defending the base is entirely up to the commander.

To stop people from just attacking the main base for 48 hours, the 2 bases will be split up 1KM apart... Both platoons are allowed to deploy or have a scout to watch the path/road and report back to the main base through radio. Again, the amount of people watching the paths is entirely up to the commander. The commander can have a ‘special forces’ team to flank and infiltrate the enemy base. This is just an idea to win the game.

If you manage to reach the enemies base, and you see the enemy in a tent, you are not allowed to shoot the tent or the person inside, even in plain sight. This is because the tents are considered as 'safe houses' for people. People may be sleeping without a mask on and will have safety hazards. However, if someone is taking cover behind a tent, you are free to shoot the person and the tent. The person that took cover behind the tent should be responsible for any damage done to the tent.

Dead people will have to wait till a cluster of 10 to respawn. Meanwhile, they can cook food/toilet break/help the commander plan the next attack.

ROE

You cannot engage a target that is in his base cooking or doing something non-tactical. For example, if someone on the red team manages to reach the blue team’s base undetected, he can either start 'bingoing' people or pick people off with semi-automatic.

As this is a continuous 2 day game, there will be no mercy on the battlefield. The enemy is allowed to attack anytime, anywhere. Though please consider your range of the enemy. If you are just 10M apart and he is unaware, you might as well tap him on the shoulder or semi him instead of full auto for 5 seconds and ruin his gaming mood.

Problems that are unsolved!

Righty, as I said, there are flaws…

How is the food going to be distributed? Will they cook for themselves or cook as a squad/platoon.

How will people refill their mags? Recharge their batteries? Should there be a ammo dump? Will there be thieves?

Location of the bases? Will there be civilians using the area? Should we separate the base with the respawn point and the tents?

How much money should each person pay? For food, cooking fuel etc…

I DON’T HAVE TIME!!! I GUESS ILL LEAVE IT TILL TOMORROW!

Continuous 24-36hr games are run on a regular basis in the UK. You could take some points from Stirling Services, IED Airsoft & Town Assault games.

Can you give me some links on the planning part of it? any videos or pictures of the actual game? Are they sucsessful?

Like Angel has said, these go on all the time over here in the UK.

Its all pretty simple (for the observer looking in).

The game zone is live for the whole duration. People in the game zone are expected to treat it as a hot area and if they choose to sleep/eat/ablution within the game zone they are expected to keep their eye protection on at all times.

Safe areas are designated (outside the game zone) where people can stash their gear, pitch tents and other such out of game essentials. battery charging facilities and refreshments are usually in this area too.

All other stuff like mags, gas and such game requirements are to be carried 'in game'. If you need to reload, you have to get on with it, whether under fire or not. If you want to eat in game, you take it with you and eat as if in the battle field.

Objectives/respawns etc are all dictated by the location and terrain.

They are a hoot.

If you need any further information, check out the TA or Gunman Events which are listed in the forum (about half way down).

Josh (Gunman) is a real dab hand at organising these, I've attended a few of his events and they are top notch.

Can you give me some links on the planning part of it? any videos or pictures of the actual game? Are they sucsessful?

For the most part, very successful.

Check either www.ta-events.co.uk or www.stirlingairsoft.com for thier rules. Or as the chef suggests, Gunman's website or subforum.

Otherwise just Google or search Youtube for 'Town Assault' or 'Phoenix Rising' for videos/images of TA's events.

I'd love to try this! The thought of 2 day continuous game is awesome.

One thought I had was that you could have regular respawn times or something, such that every half hour or so all the dead players spawn. Or just have a longer spawn time.

One thought I had was that you could have regular respawn times or something, such that every half hour or so all the dead players spawn. Or just have a longer spawn time.

Agreed. Though, if people more than X (pending on game number) people die in less than 30 mins. They can respawn as reinforcements.

Agreed. Though, if people more than X (pending on game number) people die in less than 30 mins. They can respawn as reinforcements.

Yes! Depending on how many guys you have, maybe 20-30 is a good number. You'd want to make sure one team doesn't have an inept commander, as well. Another problem would be in getting the players to work together - as from what I've read, it's a very teamwork intensive idea.

Yes! Depending on how many guys you have, maybe 20-30 is a good number. You'd want to make sure one team doesn't have an inept commander, as well. Another problem would be in getting the players to work together - as from what I've read, it's a very teamwork intensive idea.

Absolutley, the "all players must have a raido" idea was introduced to keep up the team work and for emergencys... Can you guys spot any flaws or post more questions for me to make my plan more detailed?

Looks likd a nice idea, but I'd be a bit iffy about the whole people sleeping in the game area without eye protection, even with the no firing into the tents rule. All it takes is one stray round esp at night when people are getting tired

that is a good point... maybe a ceasefire after a certain time, where after that time no-one fires there weapon

*Sigh*

Just look at the links provided, its not a new concept at all. Several operators are running these games every month.

FYI - Eye protection is worn to sleep, if you choose to sleep in-game. Although if you get shot in your sleeping bag, the sentrys you left on guard need a beating.

Take a look here.

Town Assault Rules for MilSim Events

No matter how much planning you put into it, it will not run perfectly, not ever...but then neither do real wars, do they. ;)

For me, that's part of the atttraction though, it keeps it interesting when you have to adapt to an ever-changing scenario.

The more time you take to read through the reports and feedback from the events that have been run, the better yours will turn out.

The trick is, I think, to have back-up plans/ideas to try and cover every eventuality.

Good luck with it.

Take a look here.

Town Assault Rules for MilSim Events

No matter how much planning you put into it, it will not run perfectly, not ever...but then neither do real wars, do they. ;)

For me, that's part of the atttraction though, it keeps it interesting when you have to adapt to an ever-changing scenario.

The more time you take to read through the reports and feedback from the events that have been run, the better yours will turn out.

The trick is, I think, to have back-up plans/ideas to try and cover every eventuality.

Good luck with it.

Thank you for the great link.. that is what i planned to do... its just i didnt get so far...

• 3 weeks later...

With single respawn location games each team usually gets a set time window (say twenty minutes) to respawn in, then a five min. no respawn gap in which players should be encouraged to move away from the respawn then the next team is up. This also gives people at the respawn enough time to grab a hot drink or snack etc.

You might have multiple respawns that each team can use from time to time as above or respawns dedicated to one team. I have played more complex games with player field medics and after your second or third wound you must report to the hospital/base etc. Also games whee the respwan closes if the location is taken by the enemy but you should always have an alternate respawn so the team can fight back, it's just more fun all round and stops it being a stalemate.

It's always best to at least have a small manned safe area for admin, first aid etc to be dealt with at anytime day or night

Absolutley, the "all players must have a raido" idea was introduced to keep up the team work and for emergencys... Can you guys spot any flaws or post more questions for me to make my plan more detailed?

You are better not having too many radio's. Realistically you only need one per squad that are on the command net. This will reduce some of the confusion..... More important is that the team leaders/radio operators know how to communicate properly over a radio circuit.

It might be an idea if lots of radios are going to be used to assign set channels to the marshsal/safety team and other to each side. This is more for simple admin and safety than to stop people ear waging other the other sides comms. You may or may not want to have using the oppositions freq's as aainst the rules and maybe have an emergency channel. This all depends very much on the size and nature of the site.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I'm an airsofter in HK as well and you can count me in if you do organize such an event :)

I think the idea is pure win. Games in Hong Kong are SO short. ><

The biggest problem in terms of organization would be finding a venue... but I think Armed Forces allows you to book night games.. so if we book 2 day games and one night game, it might actually work out.

Just my 2 cents =D

Archived