TSI Tavor Update

rws591

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Additional Reviews!

After messing around with the Tavor for more hours than my wife is happy with, i've come up with a few more things to let ya'll know about.

No matter what I try to tell myself, the TSI Tavor just looks "bigger" than the real steel ones i've seen in pics. Seems a smidge longer, and "taller" in the front grip and the butt area. This may just be me and my eyes. Either way, at this point I don't care. I don't really know anyways because again, I have never actually held a RS Tavor.

The gun is very comfy to shoulder. It's a bit ackward (being my first bullpup) to point it perpendicular'ish to my body because of the extra stretch. The more I aim across my body, and the tighter I get with the gun, the better it feels. I'm used to M4 style weapons, so this is a completely new experience!

Also, I'm having mag issues that I am currently working out with TSI. My metal mags seem to be ok, kinda. I have a CA midcap that stays in unless I wobble it (rather briskly) side to side. After a few seconds, the mag drops out. My metal echo 1 highcap had the same problem but now, inexplicably, it works fine and doesn't come loose. The plastic Mag brand midcaps don't seem to work at all. They go in, but after just a few little wiggles, they fall right out of the gun.

I'm currently talking with TSI via email about it and they are testing their guns with the same mags to find out what's up. At this point, the problem could be a few things. I'll let ya know when we narrow it down.

That's it for now.

Thanks for the info so far man. :)

Got any info on the internals? type of gearbox? power? rate of fire? smoothness/sound ect?Any selector problems? is the mag catch as sensitive as the ares? can it be knocked as easily?

Does the magazine move around in the magwell as much as the Ares?

lol, sorry about all the questions, this might be on my shopping list. :D

Because I'm stipp batteryless, I can only answer some of those.

Version 3 gearbox

mag release is fairly heavy. You'd have to bang it pretty hard to 'accidentally' loose the mag

don't know about wobble but one of my mags doesn't at all, one of them does a little, and one does a lot. Toss up

Also, I'm having mag issues that I am currently working out with TSI. My metal mags seem to be ok, kinda. I have a CA midcap that stays in unless I wobble it (rather briskly) side to side. After a few seconds, the mag drops out. My metal echo 1 highcap had the same problem but now, inexplicably, it works fine and doesn't come loose. The plastic Mag brand midcaps don't seem to work at all. They go in, but after just a few little wiggles, they fall right out of the gun.

This sounds like a weapon locking-tab issue with the mag-catch sitting just a wee bit (like 1mm) off, and not locking into the magazine tab properly. I have the exact same problem when using STAR PMAGs (Green Label) on my JG HK416, the STAR PMAGs locking tab hole is ~1mm more to the right than my plastic MAG mag.

A bit distressing though - I plan to use those plastic MAG mid-caps on my Tavor!!! If TSI doesn't do anything about it I'lll probably have to spend some sexy time with a file and 10 magazines to slowly shave off some bits... :(

Though my knowledge of AEG's is limited, I think the retaining clip is in actuality sitting too high! That, or the gear box is sitting a bit low. Still fiddling with it but it seems that the mag catch isn't going in because it's catching some of the lip on the mag.

I think it just needs a slight adjustment. I just need to figure out where. :)

Archived