Making a quiet P90?

Warning

I'm going to be purchasing a TM P90TR but without the gearbox (the person split the P90 down and some one bought the Gearbox leaving the rest),

I'm looking to Buy a ACM P90 Gearbox from RSOV/Gunners with the intention of try to make this the "quietest" gearbox to minimise the amount of noise it will make but here's the problem;

I know nothing of the ACM Gearbox, let alone what parts I could use to make the gearbox "quietest".

If any one can give me any info on what parts are compatible with the ACM 'box that would be a huge help, also if any ones got any suggestions on what parts I could use in the 'box to "quieten" it down, that would help aswell and would be appreciated alot!

Related to the Gearbox dilemma does any one know if Classic Army do a replacement 'box?

Also related to this, does any one know of any thing I could use to fill the space between the gearbox and the lower reciever in order to dampen the sound, I've read that people have used expanding foam, but some how I don't think that would be a very good idea tbh could any one suggest anything else?

Thanks to any one in advance that helps with any of this!

Replace the motor(EG1000), piston head(as its aluminum). Use bearing bushings, and a weak spring. A longer barrel will take some of the muzzle crack away. Dynomat, etc. Realistically, P90s(at least the TM ones) are probably the quietest AEGs out there, M14s and AUGs being the only real competition.

I've actually got a TM box sitting around which would be ace, but alas, you're just a little too far away for it to probably be worthwhile.

Dont bother looking for the classic army gearbox, the ACM one is better, Maybe even better th\n the TM.

It uses 7mm solid metal bushings which can be changed out for 7mm bearing bushings.

Get a new softer piston head to replace the aluminum one, although i kept mine in and its still really quiet.

The motor is a long shaft type, like most armalite's. I would reccomend a G&P M120,

As for sound dampening, wrap some modeling clay (not the air dry stuff) in cling film and press it into the space, it makes a huge difference and its way cheaper than dynamat.

This is the ACM gearbox with standard bushings.

3060637999_e5b8d9d61e.jpg

Then with the new 7mm bearings,

3061480780_d3a0beff03.jpg

Heres the aluminum piston head,

3060637417_855548f67e.jpg

And this is the spring guide, you can change this for a bearing one if you like.

3060636429_34a820072c.jpg

Also related to this, does any one know of any thing I could use to fill the space between the gearbox and the lower reciever in order to dampen the sound, I've read that people have used expanding foam, but some how I don't think that would be a very good idea tbh could any one suggest anything else?

Yeah, the very best stuff is 'Dynomat Extreem'. This is a 1.5mm thick self adhesive sound proofing/insulating material favored by I.C.E. enthusiasts. You should be able to pick it up at any good car stereo supplier. As you will only need about 6 square inches of it, you may be able to blag some on the free.

The P90 & Aug are the only softers with enough room to accommodate it. Stick it on the inside of the body, surrounding the gearbox & motor. it works a treat. Makes a quiet gun even quieter. Truth is, with this stuff, you wont have to worry about reducing the gearbox volume. ;)

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...

lawl had to dig throu a few pages & thanks fellas for all the help, i'll be ordering my P90 gearbox when my bank balance is a little more healthier, so to sum up;

> Replace the motor

> Polycarbonate Piston head or similar

> 7mm Bearing bushes

> Lower power spring

and obviously decent shimming & getting the motor height right will help

I've read that helical gears (i think thats what they're called) help to reduce noise is that true? (they also say version 2 gearbox gears will fit any one confirm that?)

Although you can use V2/3 gears in V6, it's off just "slightly" (off by 0.3mm). So if you wanna get perfect sync, you'll need V6 gears.

See RiotRC's statement below :-

http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.p...msg4972#msg4972

That was interesting.

Do you have any useful links to companies selling Ver6 gears.

I mean if it really matters, surely all the big manufacturers would be capitalizing on this & supplying the appropriate gear sets.

Yet I've never seen them. :huh:

Greg.

doh! :blush:

I should have said that it was referring to the ACM modded V6 gearbox any ideas what version gears it uses?

would there be a set of helical gears fit that?

(That said I've got a stock TM version 6 gearbox and the above info would be very useful if and when the gears wear down)

Archived