ACM P90 mags unwinding

The General

Hi guys, I did search but found nothing conclusive.

I picked up my ACM P90 yesterday and I have 4 hicaps with it.

Every single one does the following.

I fill em up, fully wind and slap into the gun.

I get between 4 and 8 shots then the mag unwinds.

I have taken one mag to bits to see if there was anything obvious at fault, but it all looks good. Not had time to reassemble it yet. Tried a good lube and that made no difference.

Essentially, the mags are useless.

The Hi caps are ACM ones.

I know there are mid caps available soon and I will be switching to those anyway but in the mean time I have 4 totally useless hicaps. Is there a fix?

Its doing my head in.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm, only experience I have of unwinding Hi-Caps on P90s is with my TM, and that's normally only I've had to give them a love-tap to convince them to feed. I've made sure the follower is rounded off (with a needle file), and the feed mech and inside of the mag is lubed, which certainly helped the reliability on my TM Hi-Caps

As it happens tho, I was researching the ACM P90s last night, and the Hi-Cap problem was mentioned. The general consensus is leaning towards weak springs on the follower being the cause of the problem, which would figure, as the TM Hi-Cap problems are also caused when the follow sticks, causing the BBs not to feed.

So I would imagine that a weak spring that isn't pushing the BBs into the feed properly could cause the same issue. Before putting that hicap back together, try finding something you can put in between the spring and the bas of the mag to increase the spring compresion, and see if that helps?

PS - P90 Midcaps???? :wub:

Thats a really good idea! I will have a look tonight and see if I can find something to "pack" behind the spring to give it a bit more push. Though the spring end slots over a section at the end so I am not sure how I could do this and still enable the spring to remain in place.

The spring does seem really weak though.

allmost every time i have seen someone use P90 highcaps they have done this, and after i explain one thing it stops doing it.

When you wind the mag up you need to make sure the BBs are feeding into the mechanism properly, if they dont it will spin out. To do this make sure you hold the magazine with the clockwork mechanism facing downwards so that gravity pulls the bbs into place when you start winding.

You have to hold the mag like this when you START winding, as once those 8 or so BBs (or gaps where BBs should be) are in the clockwork mech it will stop.

If it persists, lock the big spring when you start winding (the one that pushes the BBs along the lenght of the mag). Also try to wind slowly for the first few turns.

Its not a problem with the technology its a problem with the user!

When you say hold the clockwork mech downwards...

Do you mean the winder is facing downwards or upwards?

Or you hold the mag with the winder at the bottom and the mag is vertical?

Or the winder is at the top of the mag and its held vertical?

To be clear, the winder is facing downwards when its clipped into the gun.

Other than that, many thanks, I will try what you say if you could clarify what you mean. Really appreciate the help!

Wayne

Sounds like a reasonable assumpation, especially for unwinding soon after loading, and backs up my theory about the BBs not getting into the feed correctly.

With my TM High-Caps, it was only after a few bursts, and the follower had stuck, a quick tap to release the follower, followed by the VRRRrreeEEEEEE of the unwind :\

Held the mag vertical, tried winding with the follow on spring enabled and disabled and the same thing happens.

Mag goes in gun fine with a gentle slap. Fires 4 or 5 shots and then weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it unwinds.

Will try packing the follow on spring in the dis assembled mag tonight or tomorrow and try that. Not sure how I am going to do it yet, but to be frank, I am so ###### off right now, I am going to leave it be for the night.

:(

To elaborate and confirm what i said previously:

You need gravity to make sure the clockwork mechanism is FULL of BBs, if it is not it will skip and spin out.

The entire clockwork mechanism needs to point towards gravity (downwards) and the other end of the mag(the hopper) needs to point upwards

The winding key bit that goes into the gun facing down. you wind with this facing sideways.

The clockwork mechanism that goes into the gun facing backwards over the gearbox. you wind with this downwards.

The hopper that goes into the gun facing forwards, between the barrel and sights. you wind with this facing upwards.

Try again and see if this helps. As i said allmost every time i have ever seen this problem with a TM P90 it has been user ever. i think i have helped 20 or so people with this in my many years playing airsoft and only once or twice has it been a problem with the technology.

I did once see a TM p90 mag that had stripped the teath of the feeding wheel. So in that cace, its not really relevant :P

OK, might be a bit early to say but I got a good result tonight.

Took one of the mags that was not taken to bits and tried something.

Firstly I lubed it slighty.

Then I shaved about 1mm from the feed nozel on the mag.

Then I filled the mag to total max capacity, really packed those BB's in there. When I thought I could fit no more in, I forced several more in by hand.

Then holding the mag vertical, I turned the winder very slowly for a couple of turns.

Then fully wond the mag holding it in the same way. Winder at bottom held vertical.

Gently slapped the mag into the P90 and something new happened.

I heard the feeding wheel spin and feed BB's. Never heard this before.

I fired about 25 BB's and then stopped as its a noisy gun and its getting late. Don't want to annoy the neighbours!

So, I am going to lube the other mags, re assemble the one I took to bits and try the same fix with the nozel on each, then try the same process and see it it works on a game day.

Thanks guys, I am hoping I am getting to a fix here! :D

• 3 months later...

Yes, if you are offered any P90 Hicaps with a white winding wheel, walk away.

They are made by Well and are utter ######. This is what these were.

Any attempts to fix these ended up with slightly improved results for a short while but they are just not viable.

I am currenly looking at doing the same process with some ACM ones with the black winding wheel as I used my P90 on the weekend and the gun was great but all 5 hicaps, including a TM one were utter *suitcase*. Constant feeding issues all day. At one point I was so frustraited I nearly stomped one of the mags with my boot.

Amazing gun, utterly *suitcase* mags.

I will try taking them to bits and this time I am going to use some light teflon grease under the gears.

One problem is that if you lube the mags as they need to be lubed, your hop does not work as the bb's take the lube into the hop chamber with them.

I am at the point now of seriously giving some thought to buying several of the Silverback P90 midcaps. However at £20 EACH this leaves a taste of sick in my mouth.

I will have a play with these ACM mags and the TM mag and see if this does some good.

Just to be clear, the mags being sold with the white winder (action hobbies) P90 mags, avoid at all cost.

Wayne

Well that sucks.

Got myself a TM P90 now which came with 2 TM hicaps.

Not had a chance to try it out as I dont have a mini battery.

Silverback mid caps do seem the best option but yes at £20 per mag its a pretty disgusting price.

68 round standard P90 mag for 8.99USD?

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ks-68rd-magazine-for-p90-aeg.html

They also do hi-caps, might be better than TMs and Wellfires? I'm not sure as I don't have any personal experience with P90s, but I'm throwing out possible alternatives here.

Also found an unbranded ACM hi-cap here:

http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=produ...product_id=3180

hmm i have both TM mags and china made ones from WGC (they are $11) for my tm p90 , i have no problems, except with one mag i took apart and put back together abit crapply and cba to fix it (only jams every once in a while).

i can unload the intire hi cap without a jam (and sometimes do :P) or miss feed, ive been intire games without missfeads, i really slap them in aswell as my mag catch is abit stiff due to painting.

It sounds to me like you just bought some crappy mags

also maybe try different bb's , you never know.

I already have 2 of the 68 round standards and they work just fine.

ITs just... well I do not want to buy a stack of the standards and to be honest with my play style, I do not want to have to keep reloading all the time. The P90 has an amazing rate of fire for a TM on a TM motor and I would get very annoyed having to reload all the time. 150 round mids would be ideal.

Its got to the point that I am... god help me! Thinking about one of these now. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ks-1500rd-box-m...series-aeg.html

Also available from AirsoftWorld for £30. :rolleyes:

I hate the look of these things, but do I hate it enough to stop me spending easily £100+ on mags?

I normally carry 5-6 hicaps for my main gun.

Lets say that 1500 rounds loaded. Same as this ugly thing.

In midcaps, I would need... 10 midcaps. Thats £200 :(

Two hundred quid on mags???????? Stuff that for a game of toy soldiers.

Guess its time to bite the bullet and buy that silly boxmag if my mods fail me and get a couple of G&P M120 motors while I am at it. :P

I've had my TM P90 for 1.5years now. It was my first AEG. Performs very well in games.

I understand that the discussion here is about the Hi-caps for the P90.

I have 2 68rd TM low-caps ; 3 hi-caps (all black winding wheels; forgot the brands). I love the low-caps tbh.. no feeding issues and all but the problem is the high rof of the P90 means constant reloads needed.

Hi-caps are fun to play with but i've had nothing but feeding problems on the hi-caps ever since i bought them regardless of brand. Its the way the hicaps are constructed because gravity isn't feeding the bbs onto the feeder thing like an M4 Hi-cap.

Have not tried the 120rd mid-caps but will do so soon.

Another alternative is to use the "box mag" for the P90 : Echo1 1500rd Box Mag for P90

Cheap solution i think for The General to carry 1.5k rds loaded. :)

Yes, if you are offered any P90 Hicaps with a white winding wheel, walk away.

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier.

I could have saved you a lot of trouble by telling you this straight away.

Course, you wouldn't have believed me. You'd have listened to the people suggesting you sacrifice a chicken and smear the blood over the mag to make it work properly and all the other nonsense and ended up wasting your time just the same.

FWIW, the very first Marui P90 hicaps did suffer with unwinding a bit and this is what started the rumours about their unreliability. This was ages ago and any produced in the last couple of years are fine. Any new one you buy today will be perfect.

Bear in mind that all hicaps will unwind at times. The problem with P90 mags is that you can't re-wind the mags while they're in place so it is a bigger issue.

During a skirmish I bet MP5 mags unwind the most as do every other type of hicap but whenever a P90 hicap unwinds everybody will look at you and go "oooh, they all do that you know!". :rolleyes:

To be clear...

Marui P90 hicap mags now work just fine.

Fact.

We all know what Marui quality control is like. It aint hit and miss.

If they work for some of people and not for others it's not cos some mag's are better than others.

It's cos some people aren't doing it right.

Seriously, I see people at skirmish sites positively throwing the mags into the receiver and then punching them down into battery. If you're doing that then, frankly, you deserve all you get.

Soooo....

I'd suggest you buy yourself a Marui hicap for the gun and then, if you can be bothered, try taking it apart and swapping a couple of the more likely bits into the chinese mag and see if it improves things.

If it does you can then compare the difference between the two parts and try and modify the chinese mag so it is the same as the Marui one.

To be clear, you should be careful when you first start winding a P90 hicap. Just make sure BBs fill the notches in the feed carousel inside.

Once the mag is wound it's really up to the follower to feed the BBs properly.

I must admit, I tend to tap my P90 mag at every opportunity throughout a skirmish. Not talking about thimping it. Just tapping my fingers against it as I move around.

I figure I might be helping shuffle the BBs around inside so they don't wedge up against each other.

I couldn't say if this helps but, TBH, I figure it can't do any harm and I rarely have any problems with my 4 P90 hicaps so I'm happy.

Ahh those things are ugly as sin, also makes holding it on your left difficult.

Erm.... the gun is 100% ambidextrous. :unsure:

*EDIT*

Oh, wait. You're on about the boxmag, right?

Its the way the hicaps are constructed because gravity isn't feeding the bbs onto the feeder thing like an M4 Hi-cap.

That's the maddest thing I've heard all day.

Yes, gravity feeds the BBs into an M4 hicap.

A big daft spring feeds BBs into the P90 hicap.

Archived