WORLD PREMIERE - WETTI/AFC version WE AWSS SCAR

WETTI

One user on another forum had the locking button on this stock arrive broken, most likely due to the inadequate packaging. A lot of people are saying mags are coming loose in the box, getting scratched up, etc. Zip tying the gun to a cardboard box? Really? What kind of packaging is that.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just going to post that. If only that video came up a day earlier... I just placed my order yesterday for the green gas version.

He said he was using CO2 so that's probably why it broke. Usually you'd think a "CO2 version" would be made tougher to handle the power but they just kept the gun same and only changed the mag. It didn't sound right to me when I found out the only difference btwn the two were the mags.

But having seen this, I'll be extra careful and use GG/duster than just GG alone.

well anyway, I received mine today. I bought the C02 version pre-order with evike.

I may post a review soon, but here's the initial thoughts:

no FNH trademarks present, although the serial number is.

the upper receiver has an odd sheen, actually looks better in natural light.

feels absolutely rock solid. everything feels comfortable and somewhat familiar

C02 mag -- 90 shots on one 12g C02 cartridge.

hop-up is definitely not great stock for .2's

recoil is surprisingly close to that felt on a stock Sun Project M16, IMO.

really intuitive dissassemble procedure.

so, its basically a two thumbs up, I'm pleased and cant wait to skirmish with it.

So have your's lasted? If it did then this youtube guy just had a lemon. Hopefully thats the case. At least say it lasted more than 4 mags. :(

He said he was using CO2 so that's probably why it broke. Usually you'd think a "CO2 version" would be made tougher to handle the power but they just kept the gun same and only changed the mag. It didn't sound right to me when I found out the only difference btwn the two were the mags.

The SCARs are all CO2 ready and are backward compatible with the propane mags. WETTI has already confirmed this - I think I quoted it somewhere.

The SCARs are all CO2 ready and are backward compatible with the propane mags. WETTI has already confirmed this - I think I quoted it somewhere.

I think it simply looked like a lemon breakage. Can't see how recoil could have caused that damage. Blowback damage would surely have caused the internals to break and not the stock.

I knew that, it was in the first vid WETTI posted. I meant maybe they focused too much of their attention testing with green gas that there just wasn't enough research done to see how the parts stand up with CO2. I know the WE M4's work fine with the CO2 mags but the SCARS are mostly plastic.

Hopefully this is a lemon. But how in the world does recoil break a stock clean off? I know first production batches are always flawed but for a whole stock to fall off? Maybe this guy was swinging his gun around by the stock to see how rigid it was and it broke. Probably just made this vid to get a refund. Fair possibility.

if you look at his video, there isnt much actualy holdng it together, the sheared parts are only 3 points around the stock,no more than an inch each.

seems like a bad design to me.the hole bolt is going to be putting force onto that part,over time i can see this happeneing to alot of guns.

i think you may also find that any that get droped or fallen on will be the same.

well im not bothereing to get one of these now until they have been out for a while, i never bothered with the we m4 as there were so many bits needing fixed/replaced.

i hope this isnt the same,dont want to have to buy gun and repace half the parts to just get it working

Well, like everyone else, my mag was loose in the box with some scratching done as a result to both mag and body, but I could care less. It's going to get scratched up anyway through use.

More of an issue for me is that my stock only locks on the 1,2, and 6th (fully closed)positions. It'll lock into place at the other markers, but can still be pushed closed. Ah well, it'll probably only ever be "open" or "closed" for me anyway...

Of concern is that video though. Looking at the piece of metal that broke in the video, and examining mine, I can see it being a fragile piece. I would urge any company reading this to make an aftermarket steel replacement asap. While I haven't even fired mine (CO2 version) yet, the metal has a distinctly (to me) monkey metal feel to it, and I have doubts about it's long-term durability. Makes me a bit nervous to gas up and try it. I also cringe each time I field strip it and have to "tap" the stock off.

Oh yes, and like several others, whatever anyone may say about the flash-hider threading, I don't think anything short of an act of gawd is going to get mine off. Culprit would APPEAR to be some sort of o-ring at the base of the flash-hider. I can see what I at first took to be a slight blob of glue coming out around the base of it on one side. Upon closer tactile inspection, it appears to be rubber, leading me to wonder if it's an o-ring used to snug the flash-hider in place, which was over-zealously tightened... Seems to be another common issue. Again, not an insurmountable problem, but a PITA to clean up the flash-hider, which was apparently done up with orange diamondillium. Would much rather have been able to unscrew and remove it to work on it.

Other than that, thus far I like it, and think it was worth the the relatively low cost. Odd, as I never was much of a SCAR guy, and now I've a second one to go with the CA... The colors are pleasing, the Mk16 trades are nice (no FN trades), and it has a nice solid weight, along with relatively uncomplicated guts. Doubt it'll replace my SP, but we'll see...

I'm just gonna throw in my $0.02 on this Youtube video. After having spoken with WE quite a bit about this gun before purchasing it. I asked about durability, and I was assured by a user that his had gone through 20,000 rounds on Co2 without any mechanical failures.

This video seems a little FUBAR, and I think the gun was broken in another mannor. The individual is just trying to cover his tracks by saying it broke while firing. Obviously the possibility remains that it was a lemon part, and it did snap like that. However I doubt it, and feel this is just a way for him to get a refund. I sent WE an e-mail with a link to the video, asking them about it. I'll be sure to let you all here at Arnies know when I get a reply.

So have your's lasted? If it did then this youtube guy just had a lemon. Hopefully thats the case. At least say it lasted more than 4 mags. :(

I shot 5 mags, 2 green and 3 C02. I'll be shooting more today, as I got the day off work. There was actually not a huge difference in recoil between the green and C02, I would not worry a bit.

I knew that, it was in the first vid WETTI posted. I meant maybe they focused too much of their attention testing with green gas that there just wasn't enough research done to see how the parts stand up with CO2. I know the WE M4's work fine with the CO2 mags but the SCARS are mostly plastic.

Hopefully this is a lemon. But how in the world does recoil break a stock clean off? I know first production batches are always flawed but for a whole stock to fall off? Maybe this guy was swinging his gun around by the stock to see how rigid it was and it broke. Probably just made this vid to get a refund. Fair possibility.

I'd put my money on either his gun being a lemon.. or he himself is the lemon if you know what I mean. either way, the recoil on green or C02 does not feel at all too intense for the build of the stock.

Well, like everyone else, my mag was loose in the box with some scratching done as a result to both mag and body, but I could care less. It's going to get scratched up anyway through use.

More of an issue for me is that my stock only locks on the 1,2, and 6th (fully closed)positions. It'll lock into place at the other markers, but can still be pushed closed. Ah well, it'll probably only ever be "open" or "closed" for me anyway...

Of concern is that video though. Looking at the piece of metal that broke in the video, and examining mine, I can see it being a fragile piece. I would urge any company reading this to make an aftermarket steel replacement asap. While I haven't even fired mine (CO2 version) yet, the metal has a distinctly (to me) monkey metal feel to it, and I have doubts about it's long-term durability. Makes me a bit nervous to gas up and try it. I also cringe each time I field strip it and have to "tap" the stock off.

Oh yes, and like several others, whatever anyone may say about the flash-hider threading, I don't think anything short of an act of gawd is going to get mine off. Culprit would APPEAR to be some sort of o-ring at the base of the flash-hider. I can see what I at first took to be a slight blob of glue coming out around the base of it on one side. Upon closer tactile inspection, it appears to be rubber, leading me to wonder if it's an o-ring used to snug the flash-hider in place, which was over-zealously tightened... Seems to be another common issue. Again, not an insurmountable problem, but a PITA to clean up the flash-hider, which was apparently done up with orange diamondillium. Would much rather have been able to unscrew and remove it to work on it.

Other than that, thus far I like it, and think it was worth the the relatively low cost. Odd, as I never was much of a SCAR guy, and now I've a second one to go with the CA... The colors are pleasing, the Mk16 trades are nice (no FN trades), and it has a nice solid weight, along with relatively uncomplicated guts. Doubt it'll replace my SP, but we'll see...

I second the flash hider bit. I have no clue how its ever going to be removed..

however, I don't see the pot metal point here. WE stated that the upper receiver is CNC'd aluminum, and it certainly feels like it. All the other metal parts are of similar quality. If not CNC'd aluminum, its at least 10 fold better than the metal used in their pistols.

On another positive note, I've now taken the gun apart and after a handful of mags, absolutely no wear.

both the green gas mag (black) and Co2 (tan) mag seat very, very well in the magwell. The fit is perfect, no wobble.

on first glance, (as with most GBBr's now) the bolt catch looks as if it will eventually wear itself out; it seems a bit thin. It works like a charm every time, however.

I'm still pleased. (I WANTED FN TRADEMARKS THOUGH BOOOO!!)

Guys if your GAS mags are leaking you can do a couple of things. If it leaks more if you turn it upside down or side to side this is a step to take.

1. Remove bottom plate

2. Remove bottom screw

3. Slide mag out of casing

4. Check all four of the screws on the side that hold the metal plate on. ( be very careful and don't over tighten or the screw will snap).

5. If that doesn't work re-seal the gasket with white lithium grease. See below

http://www.gasguns.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=485

Also check the fill valve and the hammer valve. Since it has been hot out and these mags have sat in a UPS truck all day things loosen up.

if you look at his video, there isnt much actualy holdng it together, the sheared parts are only 3 points around the stock,no more than an inch each.

seems like a bad design to me.the hole bolt is going to be putting force onto that part,over time i can see this happeneing to alot of guns.

A real ak has a lot less metal stopping the recoil spring guide from taking a trip to the users face and i would venture to guess its put under a little bit more stress, just a little though. ;)

Now i am sure its not made out of the same stamped steel as an ak47 but unless they used absolute garbage metal i cant see the recoil doing that kind of damage, look at your gbb pistols and tell me just how much metal/plastic is stopping it from flying off the slide and then get back to me.

I am betting on dropping/smash onto a hard object like the rest of the masses.

My mag is mainly leaking at the top where the gas is released. Would tightening the hammer valve make any difference?
Kojak, Leaky gas can make a deceiving sound. It sounds like it is coming from 10 different places at once. Try doing the steps I posted and if it still leaks remove the output valve (hammer) with a valve key. If you don't have one try to find a set of needle nose pliers that are pointy enough to fit in the groves of the valve and remove. You want to check to see if all three orings are sitting properly in their grooves. When reassembling it make sure to use a lot of silicon oil on all the orings so they don't hang up on the mag casing.
Anyone else can confirm this?

That's why Damnlion said he used 3 mags of CO2 and 2 mags of Green gas. In essence, the "CO2 version" is just the same gun with a CO2 mag instead of a green gas mag... and vice-versa for the "green gas" version.

Starting at 1:30, WETTI talks about it.

---------------------

PS: Mines just shipped today. Yay! Should get it on tuesday. Its thursday here right now.

I checked the SCAR out today at AEX during my visit there. I was pretty impressed with it. The externals looked almost as nice as my VFC SCAR, and was very solid. The blowback was more solid than any WE M4 I've ever fired and sounded great. A little cool down was noticed during auto bursts, but that was to be expected given the gas in mag system. Zero leaks through out too. Overall, very solid and impressive. I'm not buying one, but that's more a personal preference thing. ;)

There has been so much testing (and loads of trials) of the WE SCAR that I find it implausible that the SCAR stock could so easily break. Also, there is no reasonable way recoil, even from a CO2 powered rifle would cause the rifle stock to break in the way it is shown on the video.

My conclusion is that the guy who made that video is going to have a hard time convincing anyone that recoil caused the breakage. Good luck to him because the only way he'll get his money is to prove he had a factory abnormality- the recoil story won't hand together.

There has been so much testing (and loads of trials) of the WE SCAR that I find it implausible that the SCAR stock could so easily break. Also, there is no reasonable way recoil, even from a CO2 powered rifle would cause the rifle stock to break in the way it is shown on the video.

My conclusion is that the guy who made that video is going to have a hard time convincing anyone that recoil caused the breakage. Good luck to him because the only way he'll get his money is to prove he had a factory abnormality- the recoil story won't hand together.

Agreed. Whilst it could have been a manufacture problem it seems just as likely a self inflicted problem.

Archived