HurricanE: Kimber SIS conversion kit

RUSHER2

:wide-eyed:

HuricanE is coming out with new Kimber SIS 1911 conversion kit. SIS (Special Investigation Section is special elite undercover unit of LAPD). With thanks to Whistler for details:

HurricanE new SIS conversion kit is based on Marui MEU pistol.

The SIS conversion kit included:

Aluminum Slide & Frame

Stainless steel chamber & out barrel

Steel SIS style rear sight & front sight

Upgrade recoil spring

Steel magazine catch

Steel slide stop

Kimber laminated grip

Solid aluminum match grade trigger

Will coming out in middle of July of 2009

huricane_sis_1911_1506a.jpg

Source: airsoftnews.eu

I don't care too much for this particular piece (just my opinion, but the serrations kill it), but it's cool that they're doing what appears to be a complete conversion, even down to the grips.

Though I wish they'd start using an denser aluminum alloy. All these 6061/7075 kits look great, but they just lack "heft" when you pick it up. The investment shouldn't be too much more if all you need are harder bits on CNC machines to make steel kits.

I don't care too much for this particular piece (just my opinion, but the serrations kill it), but it's cool that they're doing what appears to be a complete conversion, even down to the grips.

Though I wish they'd start using an denser aluminum alloy. All these 6061/7075 kits look great, but they just lack "heft" when you pick it up. The investment shouldn't be too much more if all you need are harder bits on CNC machines to make steel kits.

Aluminum alloy are the same density, the word you are looking for is denser material....

Aluminum alloy are the same density, the word you are looking for is denser material....

I meant, by mixing in more of a denser element you can achieve a denser alloy. As I know it, an alloy is not purely one element, and hence the density of an alloy depends on it's composition.

Its alloy at a molecular level, 6061, 7075, 2024...etc are all references to the alloying element used, but the percentage is extremely small but enough to modify the property....it is still primarily aluminum....

Pure aluminum is rarely used anyway, the aluminum as we know is all some type of alloy...

Its alloy at a molecular level, 6061, 7075, 2024...etc are all references to the alloying element used, but the percentage is extremely small but enough to modify the property....it is still primarily aluminum....

Pure aluminum is rarely used anyway, the aluminum as we know is all some type of alloy...

How about some mixture of aluminum with a denser element, where the mass fraction of the denser component is not negligible? I'm no metallurgist, but I'm sure Wiki will support me when I say there exist alloys that have something like 20% mass fraction of the "alloying element," which I would claim is not trace or negligible. If for some reason it doesn't exist, dare I imagine such a thing? Maybe it doesn't have a number assigned to it, but would it still be an "alloy of aluminum"?

Regardless, as we drift further off topic, maybe I should just say "I'd like them to make it heavier."

Pot metal is heavier....but not many wants those either.....

The issue is that its not just weight, 6061 and 7075 are also what I'd consider as engineering material, they have the strength to take some beating. A lot of the WE and the some Japan OEM uses heavier zinc alloy to get the weight and feel of the gun, but just as many people have found out, they are weak and will often break just like plastic slide.

There are shops that makes kit just for the heavier kits, brass, bronze kits aren't THAT unusual in some WA 1911(TM system supposedly not so great running heavier moving parts), but knowing the material it is likely not that robust, but the main market for those are collectors.

They can like you say, just make it out of steel, while the tool path might be the same, the more expensive tool bits and longer machining time might mean much more expensive product because not as many people might be willing to pay for a steel kit(especially when not many are willing to buy more expensive kit like Nova or PGC as it is).

Off topic, but there's a steel slide for the TM Glock 17.

Cheers.

Guarder has steel and stainless steel one, though hard to find....and it is the best value for a steel upgrade in terms of pistol, thats why I bought one...:D

Their are 4 SIS models link to the LE model?

The LAPD SIS versions of the Kimber SIS are identical to those that Kimber has on their website, except they have the Kimber II-series firing pin safety. So the versions issued to LAPD SIS can be differentiated simply by the fact that they are designated as "SIS [Custom/Custom/RL/Pro/Ultra] II" on the slide instead of "SIS [Custom/Custom/RL/Pro/Ultra]".

Archived