Alternative sights for L85/R85.

Reppyboyo

Hi,

Im looking for alternative sights to my L85/R85 as I currently only have iron sights.

Had a look around and it only seems ACOG`s are suitable, anything else?

Where could I get a riser that fits the L85/R85 so I could fit a different red dot or scope?

Thanks all.

British issue sights have three main options.

Iron sight/carry handle thing, SUSAT and the ACOG TA31 with doctor mini RDS.

There have been other sights used, huge great big night sights and wierd corner shot periscopes but those are the three most common issue sights.

That Eo-tech not a bit too far back? Was looking into getting a new optic myself and I was thinking if you want something that looks right but don't want to go down the 'big three' route as Ed-Skar mentions then you can't go too far wrong with an Elcan/Elken or an Aimpoint in a one piece L mount depending on if you want a magnification or red dot sight.

Call me old fashioned but i still believe that the ONLY suitable sight of the L85 is the SUSAT sight. Thats the current issue sighting system in use by the british army. So if its authentisity your looking for then that is THE sight of choice. However the MOD has just purchased ACOG sights for general issue to all infantrymen as it has better reticles for gaugeing distances and aiming off. So if you want to stay ahead of the game then the ACOG is the way to go!

post-63171-1250598340_thumb.jpg

Except the airsoft replicas of the SUSAT (and from what i hear, the real one) gargle balls in comparison to the ACOG.

As someone said above, STAR make an SA80 to 20mm rail converter, and then you can put anything on there you like.

Never really understood the big deal about rail adaptors for L85s.

For airsoft purposes most sights designed for a 20mm rail will clamp to an L85 perfectly.

If your mounting clamp is a bit loose you can pinch it slightly simply by sticking a few layers of electrical (or similar) tape to the underside of the mount, like this:-

DSC_2130.jpg

This has the effect of packing the clamp so it can pinch tighter.

It'll be fine on an AEG but you probably wouldn't want to do it with the scope on a real weapon.

Call me old fashioned but i still believe that the ONLY suitable sight of the L85 is the SUSAT sight. Thats the current issue sighting system in use by the british army. So if its authentisity your looking for then that is THE sight of choice. However the MOD has just purchased ACOG sights for general issue to all infantrymen as it has better reticles for gaugeing distances and aiming off. So if you want to stay ahead of the game then the ACOG is the way to go!

I Agree, the only type of sight that looks right is the SUSAT...

I've heard though that the Star SUSAT was even more unusable than the ACM ACOG sights. To be honest, I've heard too many bad things about both to recommend either. I wonder why a company doesn't just make a replica of a 2x ACOG without eye relief issues. That would be so much more useful in airsoft than any of these sights.

The star susat is totally useless i have one on an lsw,the real things ok if you can find one lol.i have tried the lsw with a aimpoint red dot sight and it looks ok and works well,but in all honestly people hark back to "it should have a susat on it" all the time,bloody purists!

With a RDS the further forward it is the more accurate your shooting will be, but the further back it is the faster you can aquire targets.

The reason you use an RDS rather than ironsights or a scope is speed of target aquisition... so... the closer the better, either that or use irons.

Archived