King Arms KAC SR15E3 IWS

uscmCorps

Just saw this over at Airsoft-News.eu

Allegedly available in August, King Arms will be releasing a replica of the Knights Armament SR15E3 IWS. Although they seem to be calling it the SR16E3 IWS which I don't believe is a model designation that KAC offers. It's hard to tell if it's a typo in the advertisement or the receiver itself is actually engraved with that (which would be fail in my book).

sr16e3banner2.jpg

Knowing King Arms, it's entirely possible that it's completely their own design and is in no way a copy of VFC's offering of the same model. I say that because King Arms has indeed demonstrated in the past their ability to come up with their own designs (Galils, SIG556, to name a couple). On the flip side, it would also not surprise me in the least if they did copy VFC's SR15 as King Arms can be pretty unscrupulous. Time will tell. Here's hoping they'll start selling the URX and receiver sets so others can enjoy the ambi controls.

Price should be interesting as, the VFC and King Arms ARs are pretty similar in price.

I'll be in HK next month (September). I'll report back any additional info should this hit the local shops.

Speaking of which my second VFC SR15E3 IWS arrived last night. FML. <_<

That's true. I just felt kinda FML tonight as I was trying to remove certain parts from my new VFC SR15 and install accessories only to realize that VFC goes the extra mile to make their AR stuff closer to RS spec than anyone else in airsoft. For example, the barrel is minutely thinner than the regular AR barrel to be accurate to the RS KAC SR15 pencil barrel, which means that the VFC KAC style gas block that I spent 30 minutes trying to separate from the VFC rifle length gas tube has a smaller inner diameter than normal and won't go on my King Arms 11.5" barrel. Even the gas tube appears to be RS spec. Don't get me started on the buffer tube (but that's an easy fix and something I anticipated from my first VFC SR15E3). The list goes on. VFC doesn't f*ck around. And it looks like they loctite the hell outta the URX barrel nut. FFS.

Still ... I love this GD gun. ^_^

King arms aint a cloning company Btw

they were around before clones were and make there own items

I'm aware of that. They have however occasionally cloned other airsoft companies' products in the past. Just because they predate most of the known "ACM Clone Companies" doesn't mean they haven't done it themselves upon occasion. Such is airsoft. It's a very incestuous industry. :P

I'm aware of that. They have however occasionally cloned other airsoft companies' products in the past. Just because they predate most of the known "ACM Clone Companies" doesn't mean they haven't done it themselves upon occasion. Such is airsoft. It's a very incestuous industry. :P

in theory all airsoft products are clones of TM's as they were the origional designers of most gearbox's and hop systems.

in theory all airsoft products are clones of TM's as they were the origional designers of most gearbox's and hop systems.

And after 20 years of playing airsoft, growing up in Hong Kong and seeing the ongoing evolution of the industry there, I'm well aware of that. Yes, at the very route of it, it's all clones in some way, some form. All I'm saying is, it's one thing to base the core ideas around a gear box, a hop up, and the overall TM M16 design ... it's another thing to copy detail for detail the designs of another airsoft company's replica (be it licensed or unlicensed). If KA had come up with their own replica designs like they apparently did with their SIG556, then aesthetically they made their own replica. However if they went over the VFC SR15E3 with a fine tooth comb, and copied the way VFC did the ambi controls (something that VFC pioneered in AEGs before everyone else from what I recall) and copied some of the inaccuracies VFC introduced into their own replica, then that's a bit different (IMO of course). Either way, the discussion about whether or not they did copy the VFC can't really be resolved from the scant few pictures they posted so I guess that part of the topic is moot until we get our hands on it. I merely posed the question of it as a possibility, not fact.

Regardless, I imagine many airsofters that like the AR platform will like this gun for it's ambi controls alone, and that it might mean that KA will release the body on it's own. Who knows. Like Whan said, unless it's cheaper, better quality or has more frills than the VFC, I don't see a point in buying the KA version. The VFC one I have is far better in quality than any KA or G&P AEG I have ever bought (and I've bought a lot).

It's just odd, I'll go hug my real SR-15 now.

I'm just surprised no one bothered to look at the details, I think the first SR-15s came out with 2 screws on each side, then they realized you only needed 1 (though you have to loctite that mofo down tight).

The VFC SR15 does indeed have the SR16 engraving as well, however they got the screws on the rail right. I was alarmed the first time I saw the lack of screws ... I thought VFC's QC dept missed them on the assembly line. :P VFC's screws are flat head screws.

Vercingetorix, I just partially opened it up this morning. I'll get to it a little later on this evening. Not sure if I'll have anything conclusive for you, but I'll let you know if I find out.

Another annoying thing is the gas tube diameter is a different (smaller) size than all my OEM carbine tubes. Do I modify a steel AEG carbine gas tube, or just omit the tube? FML.

whew, another SR-15, thank god I still have the only one that isn't labelled SR-16! however, I might purchase this one if the front end is labelled correctly, then swap it out for the one on my current SR-15, and buy a new SR-16 front end for this one.

Then I will be complete, and I can die peacefully with an SR-25, SR-15 E3, SR-16 E3, and PDW...

Did someone say SR15E3? :D

sr15srightforum.jpg

sr15sleftforum.jpg

(Click pics for larger versions)

SBR version loosely based on Costa's.

how about ambi wobble? any of that corps?

My selectors are okay on both my SR15's, SR16, and PDW. Not that wobbly. They could use a little tigthening but, they're generally pretty solid. They can loosen though. The right side bolt release can be a little wobbly when the bolt cover is closed, but I only noticed that today for the first time. So generally, I don't really notice the wobbliness when using it.

Corps, did ye evar find out perchance?

The bolt mechanism looks like it works around a standard V2 gearbox. I didn't get a gearbox out as I had electrical problems (which I detest trouble shooting) and elected to drop it off at AEX and make them deal with it. I'll talk to my tech there and see what he has to say. The biggest question is how the ambi selector is operated.

The bolt mechanism looks like it works around a standard V2 gearbox. I didn't get a gearbox out as I had electrical problems (which I detest trouble shooting) and elected to drop it off at AEX and make them deal with it. I'll talk to my tech there and see what he has to say. The biggest question is how the ambi selector is operated.

im currently in talks with King arms for one these when its released for review,

I will then do a full review and probably show internals of this

Regards

Richard

Archived