New look WGC

Stealthbomber

WGC has a whole new site up.

maybe it's just me but it doesn't seem half as easy to navigate as the old one.

Fortunately the home page gives you the option to continue using the old site.

This might sound a bit daft but I kinda hope they haven't updated their stock lists etc.

Sites like WGC are as useful for reference as they are for purchasing.

It was always handy to be able to check a site like WGC for information about items that might have been discontinued for years.

It'd be a shame if all that information was lost. :(

Too slow and overly complicated for my liking.

The old one was excellent, if I was bored I could just have a browse through catagories easily without having to flick through pages, sometimes simpler is better and I think this is a classic case where it is.

EDIT : This actually reminds me of Chain Reaction Cycles, a while ago they had a poll on their website asking if/what people would want changing, over 90% of the votes were for 'Don't change anything, its great as it is' out of tens of thousands of votes but they still updated it, crammed more in and now it looks more of a mess and runs slower resulting in me not even bothering browsing as much as I used to, let alone buying. These companies really should learn that if something isn't broken leave it damm well alone.

It's actually not too bad, although the selection for what type of product you're looking for (AEG, Parts, etc) should be on the left of the page, with the rest of the menu.

And Stealthbomber, it appears that the stocklist hasn't changed, they still have Star SA80s up (albeit discontinued), so I would guess that most stuff is still there.

At a glance it looks okay, apart from the menu halfway down the page on the right hand side. Due to running at huge res on my laptop, it appears more or less in the middle of my window.

At least the nav elements are done with CSS, so you CAN browse the site in a text-only mode... If the CSS/JS lets you see the whole of the menu, mind.

Far too many images, they DO take ages to load, That menu is, I just discovered, done with images, not text (facepalm!)....

It looks nice enough, but it strikes me as a design that you'd build upon and develop further, not put into production.

The fact that it's all done in frames AND TABLES is heinous enough, to be honest. What web designer worth their salt would use tables for layout in this day and age?

placed an order today.

Nice site to work with. fast enough for me.

Also, you can select by manufacterer only have to put in your type of choice first (like accessories or AEG etc..)

even when you are already made that choice on the homepage.

Personally I always thought the old one was absolutely terrible, trying to find something down one of the massively long lists that came up when you clicked on some of the categories was a nightmare, often not helped by a lack of filtering options. The shopping cart wasn't too good either. especially in comparison to some places like eHobby who's site is a total breeze to look around and browse.

This new one seems like it'll take a little bit of getting used to but should actually be much easier in the long run.

I prefer this one, but peopel will always resist change, its human nature and its a VERY good thing they've included the option to carry on with the old layout, and tables do have their place is web design in the day and age, they have very sueful properties taht make coding more effecient and are 100% cross compatible unlike pure CSS layouts with2 dozen 'fixes' for different browsers, tho I almost entirely use CSS haha.

This might sound a bit daft but I kinda hope they haven't updated their stock lists etc.

Sites like WGC are as useful for reference as they are for purchasing.

It was always handy to be able to check a site like WGC for information about items that might have been discontinued for years.

It'd be a shame if all that information was lost. :(

The Asahi L96 is STILL there, despite having never been up for sale :lol:

I've found it's usually the case on switchovers, the old format is kept for a period giving people chance to adapt (and without complaints they can't place their orders etc) to the new layout before ditching the old.

Being as the old system isn't being updated I expect it to dissapear at some point, so we might all as well get used to the UNCO-style sluggishness sooner rather than later.

People prefer clicking through tens of pages when browsing? I like WGC's one-page results, they're convenient and time saving - The opposite to GNG which is a mighty shame due to reasons above.

If you can't find what you want, or have to waste your time waiting for fancy effects and slow websites to generate results, you can't shop where you want and buy what you want!

+1 fo all those who find the new one hard to navigate, which may be because the old one was one of the easiest and most intuitive, unlike redwolf or unco.

Not very widescreen friendly is it, it fits into half my 1440 wide resolution

but that aside it dont seem to obad, okay it loads fairly slowly and the M249 flashing at the top is annoying but i can live with it atm

also there previous long list of items was alot better than the page by page you have now

Archived