what is the most powerful gas

sniperV

Black gas is a fabled gas that rhumors say is CO2. That is the most powerful gas used for Airsoft (and then only ever in some models that are built specifically to take it). Red Gas is next down and some guns will take this instead of green - Most will be destroyed by it though.

Green is the next gas down, followed by Abbey Predator and some of the Cybergun and AE gasses.

Green is not rubbish, it just doesn't have a particularly great lubricant in it. I have put countless bottles through my collection and it hasn't caused any problems that would have been avoided by using a similarly rated alternative gas.

Remember also, the more powerful the gas, the more likely it is to break your gun.

Also, using anything more powerful than green gas is likely to take your gun over the maximum power limits and you open yourself up to prosecution for Assault with a Firearm / Deadly Weapon = not clever.

My advice would be to stick with green gas as a maximum, and feel free to try the AE, Abbey, or Cybergun gasses for yourself. They are all pretty much the same though.

Amercan Eagle (AE) Winter is a little lower pressure than green, but that's not to say it's no good.

I personally only put AE winter gas or Abbey Ultra through mine, on the grounds that a pistol is best used at close quarters and those gasses are powerful enough to give me an accurate shot to 20m. Using green gas makes in too painful for for me to feel comfortable using it at close range.

What Ghost_Rider said above.

Using a gas that is just a tad weaker than Green like Abbey Predator or AE Winter, will result in your gun lasting longer and not breaking. They also contain better lubrication, further protecting your investment. You are unlikely to actually notice any difference in performance anyway, only an accurate chronograph will be able to tell.

Also, using Green Gas in warm weather (like in the upcoming summer) will cause more wear and tear to your gun, as gasses expand faster and more violently in the heat.

What would be more important to you? A gun with a range that reaches an extra couple of inches, or a gun that lasts you an extra year or two?

This all gets a little confusing going by the 'color' names for gas. Some people call 134a green, others call propane green and 134a blue?

The ET 1600 (red gas), I think Madmax determined it is a mix of propane and ethane, exerting over 200 psi.

1600gas_big.jpg

Help me with this chart ?

Blue = 134a = ~85 psi

Green = Propane = ~125 psi

Red gas = Propane/Ethane = ~200 psi

Black = Co2 = ~600 psi

so it would be better to use american eagle summer gas than green gas

Depends on the operating ambient temperature. Your best bet is to buy a few types and try them out. If it is very hot when you are firing, Green Gas is likely to cause problems, and AE Winter might also be too strong. If it is only a little bit warm, AE Summer might be too weak.

Your best bet is to try several gasses out in your guns. Just make sure you are not using a gas that is too powerful for the gun in question (your Airsoft vendor should be able to tell you what is safe in your gun).

This all gets a little confusing going by the 'color' names for gas.  Some people call 134a green, others call propane green and 134a blue?

134a is definitely not green. I didn't know it had even been assigned a colour.

Depends on the operating ambient temperature.  Your best bet is to buy a few types and try them out.  If it is very hot when you are firing, Green Gas is likely to cause problems, and AE Winter might also be too strong.  If it is only a little bit warm, AE Summer might be too weak.

Your best bet is to try several gasses out in your guns.  Just make sure you are not using a gas that is too powerful for the gun in question (your Airsoft vendor should be able to tell you what is safe in your gun).

Well im in England, so what would you say is right?

Green ( propane ) is 60% more powerful than 134a at any given temperature.

This is discussed so many times, it might be worth someone writing something VERY easy to understand on this subject and make it pinned. There is far too much mis-information about this on forums and much of the information is blatantly wrong and misleading.

This all gets a little confusing going by the 'color' names for gas.  Some people call 134a green, others call propane green and 134a blue?

The ET 1600 (red gas), I think Madmax determined it is a mix of propane and ethane, exerting over 200 psi.

Help me with this chart ?

Blue = 134a = ~85 psi

Green = Propane = ~125 psi

Red gas = Propane/Ethane = ~200 psi

Black  = Co2 = ~600 psi

Tables I use for design reference:

39285134.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

39285133.jpg

I haven't actually tested red gas in a laboratory setting. I just made a guess based on the fact that ET1600 is flammable. Ethane and propane are both flammable compounds in the same chemical family. They're both very cheap in industrial quantities so I'm guessing that ET1600 is a blend of propane and ethane. Pure saturated ethane exerts a much higher pressure at room temperature so I suppose it may be blended with propane.

Ethane is a precursor compound used in the manufacturing of plastics (i.e. polyethylene) You don't see it as a consumer commodity much, but it's not hard to purchase and stuff into a bottle if you're already a gas bottler.

Archived