Magpul PTS: MS2 sling

uscmCorps

I've known about this product for a while now, but now that Airsoft-News.eu has announced it, it's fine to post the news here along with my first hand account of it:

Dear all,

Magpul PTS Green Label (Magpul PTS X Beta Project) MS2 Sling which is specially design for Airsoft Rifle/Carbine. It is manufactured by Beta Project (under license).

This item for Airsoft Only and not recommend to use in real firearms. It is available outside US only.

Regards

Magpul PTS

magpulptsgreenlabelslin.jpg

My first hand experience with this product was a couple weeks ago at Magpul PTS' marketing dept.

Immediately, the first requirement that PTS put to Beta Project was that the hardware had to be different enough from the real steel version that it wouldn't be mistaken for the real steel one. Thus, the primary shackle/clip is similar to the real steel version except it has a 360º rotating head, and the secondary clip is a little smaller but again similar in design to the real steel one. The 360º rotating head of the primary shackle was actually a design request of RS operators as some have had concerns of the original shackle's non-rotating head getting locked up during active use.

The webbing on the PTS version is actually (IMHO) a little better than the real steel one. The RS one had a tendency to fold in half along it's length creating a very uncomfortable pressure point on your neck and shoulders. The new webbing used in the PTS MS2 sling is firmer/stiffer and is less likely to have the same undesired result. This is very important to me having used the RS ones for several days straight and the discomfort was very high. That was perhaps my biggest gripe about the RS version which the PTS version appears to have resolved.

You will also notice that the Magpul PTS label on the PTS MS2 sling is removable thanks to velcro backing. This was done so that in the future, custom labels (like team/unit label) with velcro can be swapped with the PTS label giving the sling some uniqueness. The label features Magpul PTS' new logo (which I quite like and much prefer over the older PTS version).

Only available outside the US, it's unlikely to even be available at any US airsoft retailers to be a non-competing product with the US Magpul's RS version.

I was pretty impressed with the PTS MS2 sling. All the changes seemed like significant improvements over the real steel version. And while they say it's not intended for real steel applications ... well that's for you to decide. ;)

Can't wait to see how much they try and sell this for.

As Pradal points out, it's 2/3 the price of the real deal, and much better IMO.

they are available at Rhinoairsoft for 26$ :)

I am so gonna buy a couple (although I owe some acm sling too)

Uscmcorps: did you try the new 360° lockjaw feature? does it improve the sling comfortability?

Seems surprisingly much more comfortable!

Wonder if it IS the ACM copy that was being sold, just with a hasty rebrand?

Ben.

Nope. Beta Project from what I understand is a different company. The ACM clone uses hardware that is essentially identical in appearance to the real steel version, and the PTS version uses its own hardware. Even if this was by the same company (which it's not) it's a different product and therefore could never be considered a rebrand (which it's not).

Hey uscmCorps, you seem to be pretty familiar with this and the RS version of the MS2 sling. Do you have any experience with using such a sling with a G36? It looks like the hook should fit the rear sling attachment okay, I'm thinking that the lockjaw would have trouble with most front mounts on the G36 though. Any input would be appreciated, this looks like what I've been waiting for! :D

I'll stick to the airsoftpark clone.

(I know it's a counterfeid but there are worth things in the world)

I'd get a PTS one as well, but the fact the magpuls intention was there the PTS one has to be different than the RS one is something I don't get.

I mean, it's almost impossible for somebody outside the US to order magpul stuff. For that matter, if Magpul doesn't want to sell me their product I'm glad airsoftpark does... in a certain way.

Hey uscmCorps, you seem to be pretty familiar with this and the RS version of the MS2 sling. Do you have any experience with using such a sling with a G36? It looks like the hook should fit the rear sling attachment okay, I'm thinking that the lockjaw would have trouble with most front mounts on the G36 though. Any input would be appreciated, this looks like what I've been waiting for! :D

Sorry man, I have no idea about compatibility between the MS2 (RS or PTS) with the G36. If the sling can hook into the G36 (which it should) then you should be good to go.

I'd get a PTS one as well, but the fact the magpuls intention was there the PTS one has to be different than the RS one is something I don't get.

I mean, it's almost impossible for somebody outside the US to order magpul stuff. For that matter, if Magpul doesn't want to sell me their product I'm glad airsoftpark does... in a certain way.

The problem is, both Magpul and Magpul PTS want to prevent cross pollination of products and also to avoid similar products competing against one another. That's part of the reason why a PTS MOE GBB grip can never be used on a RS AR as it lacks the pin hole for the RS AR's selector spring. That was deliberate. The sling is obviously much more simple as it can work with just about anything. They're not so worried about the Magpul Industries sling from going out of the USA, they're more worried about the PTS sling coming into the USA as that could pose as a competing product to the RS MS2 Sling. It's a little wacky, I agree, but it's a policy both sides want. Personally, I think it might be interesting to see what the RS users think of the PTS MS2 sling, as I personally see it as superior to the current RS MS2 sling.

That MSRP of $49.49 is ridiculous. I know Magpul PTS was adamant about the cost being $26-$29. STAR's smoking crack. I'm not even sure why STAR has it listed on their website as they had NOTHING to do with it's development whatsoever. <_< Furthermore, I don't think this sling is classified as a Green Label (economy line) product, and even if it did, STAR doesn't have exclusivity there either.

That MSRP of $49.49 is ridiculous. I know Magpul PTS was adamant about the cost being $26-$29. STAR's smoking crack. I'm not even sure why STAR has it listed on their website as they had NOTHING to do with it's development whatsoever. <_< Furthermore, I don't think this sling is classified as a Green Label (economy line) product, and even if it did, STAR doesn't have exclusivity there either.

Looks like they are planning to sell more than just the sling

http://www.starairsoft.com/product.php?cat...ubcategoryid=30

Regarding the MS2 on a G36...

You'll have the same problem as with most other rifles.

The clip that goes on the back will fit on the rear of the receiver just fine.

Given that it's primarily a single-point sling I suppose you could say it'll "work".

The crock-clip will definitely not fit through the loop on the front of a G36 so you won't be able to use it as a 2-point sling.

Depending on what sort of G36 you have you'll probably need to fit a side-rail first and then clamp summat like THIS to it for the croc-clip to attach to.

I've also seen people with limited front clip options (like with the G36, or a non-railed M4 front end) make a d-ring up front out of a loop of paracord which the MS2 sling's front croc-clip clips into. A little ghetto ... but it works and is a very cheap solution. Something to consider.

I've also seen people with limited front clip options (like with the G36, or a non-railed M4 front end) make a d-ring up front out of a loop of paracord which the MS2 sling's front croc-clip clips into. A little ghetto ... but it works and is a very cheap solution. Something to consider.

Course, I suppose the best solution is, as we said, to replace the croc-clip with a HK-hook.

Must say, I'm not keen on the idea of leaving anything floppy (even a standard AR15 front sling loop) on the muzzle and then trying to hook the croc-clip onto it when you're under pressure.

The attachment point really needs to be solidly fixed IMO.

Regarding the MS2 on a G36...

Depending on what sort of G36 you have you'll probably need to fit a side-rail first and then clamp summat like THIS to it for the croc-clip to attach to.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking of getting as long as the main hook fits it should work just fine. Got a couple outdoorsman and gun shops around town, pretty sure I can find one for cheap.

Stealth : Yeah, I wouldn't do that myself either, but I just wanted to give the guy as many options as possible. Paracord will work, but doing it under stress would kinda suck.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking of getting as long as the main hook fits it should work just fine. Got a couple outdoorsman and gun shops around town, pretty sure I can find one for cheap.

That CQD mount Stealthbomber linked to isn't very common in most real steel stores. It's a bit niche as most outdoorsman don't use it so I'd be surprised if you did come across it. I think you'll either have to order it online from a US retailer or buy the replica the Stealthbomber posted (which while it is a replica, is probably more than up to the task, and is cheaper than the real deal).

I have the airsoftpark version, it is really bad instead of a tube strap they used a nylon strap folded on itself and stitched together at both sides.

I have 2 of them here and also a real one.

They are pretty much identical.

About the only worry I have about the fakes is that the various clips are made of monkey metal rather than good quality alloy.

Only time will reveal if that's a valid concern.

On the real-steel forums they can't figure out which are real and which are fakes.

If you have one with stitching along the sling you have a fake fake. :unsure:

I have 2 of them here and also a real one.

They are pretty much identical.

About the only worry I have about the fakes is that the various clips are made of monkey metal rather than good quality alloy.

Only time will reveal if that's a valid concern.

On the real-steel forums they can't figure out which are real and which are fakes.

If you have one with stitching along the sling you have a fake fake. :unsure:

I also got a really nice repro from a local retailer and after handling a real deal MS2 sling in a store and comparing it with my new repro MS2 I can't see any difference but my airsoftpark version is really off.

So does this mean airsoftpark is selling at least two different versions at the same price?

Archived