British Kit

darkchild130

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have taken pics of my GSR but found out i cant post them because of corporate disclosure laws, and the mtp we got was the only set in the country so got taken away from us again :(

More sets should be made soon, and when they arrive i will get some and photograph them.

Darkchild

The foregrip was actually my idea, and is now going to be part of the issue kit for the weapon (though i didnt like the folding one) Yes you are allowed to do pretty much whatever you want to the rails. The rail covers were just thrown on for the shoot, it isnt even a production model L129A1, its the original LM7. The final rifle will have tan (collapsible) stock, tan pistol grip and a tan RIS kit if i recall correctly. Also, the barrel will be stained and not shiny silver! And it is a harris bipod, with a rail adaptor. They are currently debating whether to use a bipod with pitch and yaw or settle for a simpler one as pictured (i like the simple one).

Sounds good.

Thought you might want to also know the newspaper article featuring your lovely visage really is getting everywhere, was posted up amongst a few other clippings on a billboard in the foyer of my mess; so every single person going in and out gets to see it now. :P

A British soldier stands by the shattered windows of a building damaged during a fierce gun battle in Helmand province, Afghanistan, Friday, Jan. 29, 2010. A fierce gun battle broke out between security forces and a team of Taliban fighters targeting U.N. and government buildings in the provincial capital of Lashkar Gah. The fighting came nearly two weeks after a similar assault in the Afghan capital of Kabul, once again showing the ability of insurgents to penetrate heavily secured areas. (AP)

2j5f1xj.jpg

Is he wearing the new helmet? He is wearing quite interesting kit too.

A couple of quick questions about the L129A1 if you don't mind answering

1: You mentioned the foregrip was going to come in Tan; will this be just the foregrip, the foregrip/upper (as its one peice) or will they do the entire weapon in Tan?

That said I don't think it makes much difference either way as it'll be blathered in sniper tape regardless.

2: Was the L129A1 less or more accurate than the 417 in trials? As the only half decent argument for DI is the higher accuracy it enables due to less/no moving parts being attached to the barrel.

Thanks.

found these on mp.net taken by smglee at the shot show in las vagas.

it says that this is the rifle that won the recent british rifle contract,

lmt mrp 308

P1030734.jpg

i assume this is the same one as the lm7 or L129a1

andy :)

Yeah thats it. Its discussed here.

You can also see that its L129A1 from the model number (middle row on the left side of the lower) the civilian one is much longer.

Thanks for the answers Darkchild.

i didnt realize RGJ were still so heavy in the testing programs, cripes my old man used to disappear off for weeks in the early 80's to destroy some new bit of kit or other. I never forget being forbidden to join the army when i was a lad after the l85 turned up in the armories in Osnabrück lol.

We are not, im on a 2 year posting to ITDU (infantry trials and development unit) its open to all infantry units (including the joke that is the RAF regiment)

I've met a lot of gunners, and while they do turn in to a bunch of *fruitcage* monkeys who think it's fun to trash barrack blocks/bars/each other when in groups (particularly when adding drink), I've also come across an awful lot who are really top blokes and no doubt good at their jobs.

Grim:What?

CKinnerly: You have missed the point entirely. We all trash talk (and beat the *suitcase* out of) other units, especially when drunk. The RAF regiment are just pointless. Their job is laughable and they cant even do that properly. They guard camps and never venture more than 2km from the gate while we live and die in patrol bases for months at a time, fighting every day, yet they still call themselves infantry.

Anyway, my hatred for the RAF reg aside, i will be posting a few pics from the (very cold) sharpshooter trial this week when i get round to it.

Darkchild

Would you care to tell the mothers of those Regiment members who have sacrificed their lives or had them ruined by serious injury that their sons / daughters jobs were pointless and laughable? Do you feel those bases don't need protecting?

What do you think their job description is?

They fulfill a clearly defined roll and perform their duties accordingly. Much as the catering corps, Medical corps, Logistics, Reme etc.

How would you feel if you were pinned down in a firefight and the fast air or Apaches couldn't make it to you because they had to be based outside of the warzone for security reasons?

What if the medevac was hit in a terrorist strike because the base defenses were inadequate?

And how does defending a major airfield differ from defending a Patrol Base? (Rhetorical question I am aware of the differences but drawing your attention to the similarities).

I also understand that the regiment is responsible for an area of operation extending out to 60 miles around the base.

And what is your definition of infantry?

As far as I know it refers to soldiers who predominately fight on foot as opposed to cavalry.

I understand there is a lot of bravado and petty rivalry between professional servicemen claiming unit A is far superior to unit B because blah blah, but honestly are you that shortsighted and immature or do you have real and serious concerns?

Please keep us informed about your involvement with the new kit trials but I personally would prefer you kept your childish and insulting views on the other regiments / units / services to yourself and /or your unit mess.

After all Laughable shambles don't often win MC's or MID's or do they in the RGJ's?

stuff

I have suffered as a direct result of their incompetance, details of which im not going into so my view wont change, if you dont like it thats your problem.

Anyway, pictures. Didnt get as many as i would have liked as i was actually too busy firing the damn thing most of the time (there were only 5 of us and we had 4 rifles to get through)

A few of them are, or will be promo shots for the new osprey assault mk2 (not civvy media, promo for the actual trials) and ive thrown in a few pics of the M6, a stubby little cqb weapon thats part of another trial.

SANY0076.jpg

SANY0074.jpg

SANY0059.jpg

SANY0058.jpg

we were experimenting using different mag types, the P-mags were generally preferred over the old m110 type.

SANY0062.jpg

SANY0063.jpg

SANY0067.jpg

SANY0068.jpg

SANY0070.jpg

SANY0071.jpg

Armour pictures, it wasnt my size so doesnt look too good, but it is slightly lighter than osprey assault mk1 as it is made out of slightly lighter cordura and they have removed a lot of the internal gumf.

2.jpg

By wednesday it was damn cold!

9.jpg

11.jpg

And the M6, which is nice.

I wanted to make some gun Pron shooting vids too but unfortunately time and lack of personnel were against us. Its surprisingly hard to get through 2000 rounds on each gun in a week when you have to record data on every 5 round group.

Darkchild

Reading up on the M6A2 it has everything you'd want if you were going down the AR15 route (Yanks would probably whinge about its weight though :D ).

Who are they looking at issuing this to? Would it be brought in at brick/section level or would it go to CP trained types?

I can't quite figure out why they are trialling it though, it can't be much more different in size to a Carbine length L85A2 and it does the same job. Unless they we're trying to avoid barrel length/velocity/over-penetration issues.

Archived