PTW Style hop for Regular AEG

thartwig

Many consider your traditional armalite hopup unit to be a weak point with regards to accuracy and consistancy, with greater preferance going towards drum style hop units as found in the p90, g36 etc. Unless your armalite is an ICS model in which case I believe it has a drum style hop up, many armalite users may be interested in taking a look at this if they want something else to help improve consistancy and accuracy. Assuming it actually works well.

I've been hearing people complain about the M4 hopUp for years but I'm still not entirely sure I understand what it's weak points are. I've got a lot of M4s, and a smattering of non-M4s ... I've been getting very satisfactory results from my M4 hopUps.

This is perhaps one of the most pointless airsoft products I have ever seen come to market :o

The PTW hopup is absolutely awful and you're always seeing PTW owners struggle to find ways to improve it or replace it. So why on earth would any AEG user want to put a less effective hopup system in their gun? Even the standard M4 AEG hopup, which is often complained about, is miles ahead of the PTW hopup.

I just don't get what Deepfire was thinking on this one.

I've been hearing people complain about the M4 hopUp for years but I'm still not entirely sure I understand what it's weak points are. I've got a lot of M4s, and a smattering of non-M4s ... I've been getting very satisfactory results from my M4 hopUps.

Some M4 chambers don't keep their setting very well, and are hard to fine-tune.

They can be easily fixed by placing a small shim between the larges adjustment wheel and the screw that holds it in place, though.

Makes adjusting it very hard, but once its done, it stays put.

The drum types are better in every way, though.

same here. I don't get what the fuzz is all about. Sure they sometimes don't stay on their place and finding the right setup isn't easy, but I simply install another better M4 hop up. so far I like the prometheus hop up unit combined with TM hop up rubber & nub.

same here. I don't get what the fuzz is all about. Sure they sometimes don't stay on their place and finding the right setup isn't easy, but I simply install another better M4 hop up. so far I like the prometheus hop up unit combined with TM hop up rubber & nub.

That's funny. You 'don't get what all the fuss is about' & then you list what the problems are & suggest replacing the unit with an after market part. :D

That is exactly, what all the fuss is about.

If the hop unit was trouble free, you wouldn't be replacing it would you. :rolleyes:

Greg.

That's funny. You 'don't get what all the fuss is about' & then you list what the problems are & suggest replacing the unit with an after market part. :D

If the hop unit was trouble free, you wouldn't be replacing it would you. :rolleyes:

Greg.

Strange that you don't dare to say that against USMCorps. :unsure:

That's funny, I though people were displeased by its design in general. Regardless of it being a replacement or not.

Many hop up units are unsatifactory, just by replacing it with a good one the problem is solved.

But I guess criticising a popular AEG model is easier, instead of going after all bad hop up units by brand and design, regardless of the AEG model.

I had to replace it, because the Marui 2 piece hop up unit cannot be used in a g&p body. In it's stock form it performed flaweless.

If I really want it to be trouble free, I just go and buy myself another TM, preferably a g36.

So to clarify, some brands of M4 hopUps, especially some stock ones that come with some guns aren't the greatest because they don't keep their setting very well, and are hard to fine-tune. The best solution is to replace them with decent aftermarket hopUp units like Systema and Prometheus HopUps? I can't speak for anyone else but I really don't find that a big deal. Unfortunate that you have to spend some more money? Yes. But at $32-$38 I'd hardly classify that as the end of the world nor is it a huge crippling issue. It's an easily fixed issue by replacing a parts set and in a hobby in which many people spend a lot of time and money replacing/upgrading lots of parts on our guns regardless of whether or not the guns are M4's or whatever else ... I'm still not seeing why the M4 HopUp has arbitrarily been dubbed the worst HopUp out there. In comparison, the PTW hopUp has major issues, and there aren't any readily available solutions for it. Now THAT is a crippling issue.

I'm just trying to get some clarity on why there's such sweeping dislike for the M4 hopUp.

Strange that you don't dare to say that against USMCorps. :unsure:

My apologies if this has caused any offense. I just thought it was funny.

USMC, didn't answer his own question.

You did, ('I don't know what all the fuzz is all about' etc.) which I thought was odd.

I wasn't picking up on the fact that the hop doesn't perform as well as some alternatives. It was the fact that you seemed to contradict yourself.

Greg.

greg, no offense taken on my end. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of people's beliefs and opinions on the matter.

If the biggest issue is with trying to keep the HopUp's setting to not slip, then aside from a shim, has anyone tried using a tiny o-ring as a spacer?

I have personally not experienced any big issues with fine tuning over the years of playing.

greg, no offense taken on my end. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of people's beliefs and opinions on the matter.

If the biggest issue is with trying to keep the HopUp's setting to not slip, then aside from a shim, has anyone tried using a tiny o-ring as a spacer?

I have personally not experienced any big issues with fine tuning over the years of playing.

Regarding the 'hop' issue, like you, I have not encountered the problem on my own M16-a-likes. I have a CA 15 CQB & a Hurricaine/systemma 416 kit. They don't get used very often, due to my preference for an AK style mag change. Neither of them suffer from hop inconsistencies.

Having said that, friends of mine have suffered the effects of the wandering hop & dumped their Armalit-a-likes, in favor of guns with other hop systems. This situation is a 'fixable' but well documented flaw, in the basic airsoft hop design. I guess it's why it was redesigned & replaced in subsequent airsoft models. A bit like the flaws in the V2 box being solved in the V3 etc.

Putting other, similarly specked guns, up against my own AR's, I do notice that Ak's, P90's, G36's & other rotary type hopped guns do give better shot to shot consistency. On semi, better accuracy is particularly noticeable. On full auto, the difference is negligible.

Fine tuning a rotary type hop to achieve maximum performance, does appear easier to me, than the 'fiddlier' cogs on the M16 type systems.

However, Airsoft is not all about all out performance. If you like the look of an AR, go for it. It's all about enjoyment of the game & 'look', has a lot to do with that.

If you are happy using a stoner, good for you.

Greg.

What's wrong with the PTW hop ?

The problem is that the hop-up rubber are able to rotate and this is resulting in inconsistentcy between shoots. Also the rubber is prone to failure where it is torn due to the thin material. Systema tried to apply the KISS principple, but failed to make it work propperly.

From a PTW user:

I have managed to tune my hop up to be pretty much similar to a normal M4/M16 AEG in way of performance. But still i find this to be quite dumb thing to release for an aeg. You change to this and have to work to get it to shoot as good as your original hop up is beyond me. :unsure:

Archived