Russian mesh mask

THE PIE PENGUIN

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would prefer it to be perforated steel sheet rather than wire-mesh. Wire-mesh can deform unpredictably and let a bb through.

What he said.

If this was made of perforated steel sheet I'd be impressed.

Given that it's made of woven mesh it's about as much use as the shiny blue mask in all the reviews which slag-off mesh eye-pro.

I guess you could wear it to protect your skin and mouth but, meh, Seems like a bit of overkill for that purpose.

I can see the point of the half mask to stop getting you teeth smashed ,but in the FAQ it essentialy says .Don't shoot the mask above 150mps (not quite 500fps) ,with ammo weight exceding 0.28, below a distance of 5m. Also says you shouldn't have it wet for over 2 hours ,so a day of play would deffinatly have it wet for 2 hours plus. I know that style of mesh is very prone to rust which would be the reason for this I guess.

Interesting, but I can't really see the point of mesh lower face protection? You don't need to see through it, so why not some plastic or hard rubber material, wouldn't that be more comfortable and durable?

Personally I use the lower part from a Sansai mesh mask ziptied to the ugly but brilliant Guarder SWAT goggles. The Sansai mesh lower is extremely low profile and allows the use of almost any iron sights. It's the lowest profile hard material lower face protection I've come across so far.

This is a job for Heroshark!

If he can knock out perforated steel ones in the same design ( maybe interchangebale covers?!) that'd be AWESOME.

As is, I don't really like a full face mask made entirely of mesh... I've never had problems, but I don't want any either!

EDIT: AND LO! Heroshark did appear in the reading topic list!

Interesting, but I can't really see the point of mesh lower face protection? You don't need to see through it, so why not some plastic or hard rubber material, wouldn't that be more comfortable and durable?

Personally I use the lower part from a Sansai mesh mask ziptied to the ugly but brilliant Guarder SWAT goggles. The Sansai mesh lower is extremely low profile and allows the use of almost any iron sights. It's the lowest profile hard material lower face protection I've come across so far.

I think the mesh is so its flexable ,adjustable ,and well ventilated. I agree on the durability front though.

This is a job for Heroshark!

If he can knock out perforated steel ones in the same design ( maybe interchangebale covers?!) that'd be AWESOME.

As is, I don't really like a full face mask made entirely of mesh... I've never had problems, but I don't want any either!

EDIT: AND LO! Heroshark did appear in the reading topic list!

I have thought about it .You would need a shaped press .Which would be a pricy venture in itsself. Also if you pressed stamped steel to such angles it would loose its strength.

I think it could be used to avoid fogging.

I use Guarder glasses with anti-fogging coating ( or so it says ) whenever I can't use my perforated steel plate goggles and whenever I use a baklava to protect my face a little, they fog up.

Mesh would let the warm moist air through which equals less chance of fogging?

i have a couple of old fencing masking in my prop store at work< will dig one out and subject it to some 500fps .2's and see how it fares.

I've actually used mine several times before during games. I've thrown everything I got at it and didn't get even as much as a dent (includes an M700 doing 650fps on .2's). They're made for toughness given that the average punch of a person (about the same force exerted when a fencer does a lunge or fleche) is at 300 Joules. Despite the woven mesh design, sheer wire gauge gives it a lot of strength and those Russian masks look like the same thickness. The Praetorian model is kinda pricey though; could save some in just purchasing a new fencing mask, some nylon fabric for added detail and camo paint.

I think it could be used to avoid fogging.

I use Guarder glasses with anti-fogging coating ( or so it says ) whenever I can't use my perforated steel plate goggles and whenever I use a baklava to protect my face a little, they fog up.

Mesh would let the warm moist air through which equals less chance of fogging?

That's what I thought too.

Although the most obvious use for mesh is for vision it's also an ideal medium for allowing free flow of air while protecting your lower face.

I reckon that lower-mask is probably actually more use than the full-face jobbie.

i have a couple of old fencing masking in my prop store at work< will dig one out and subject it to some 500fps .2's and see how it fares.

Renegade cow's right. A light plastic 6 mm ball will do a hell of a lot less damage than a 10 mm rod of steel :P

I do quite like the look of the stalker. When I'm playing I always wear mesh eye pro, I don't know what anyones got against it I've had my mask for 5 years now of constant skirmishing only a few scratches and the need to replace the elastic. But I digress.

This will solve my problem with marshaling. Now I have the added bonus of face protection with the lack of steaming up goggles and the peripheral vision that mesh eye pro can limit.

The process of purchase and shipping seems complicated i'll wait this one out until someone writes a good review

cheers

Nick

..Also if you pressed stamped steel to such angles it would loose its strength.
I don't think it would. If anything it would gain stiffness.

It looks to me like that full face version doesn't have enough 'support', when it's on the head I mean.

It looks like it'd just sit on your head with nothing to stop it moving around :unsure: .

I don't think it would. If anything it would gain stiffness.

Yes it would ,but in some pics if you look the mask is loosely contoured to the face ,which I guess has been done by the users .Due to the nature of woven mesh you can do that more easily .Personally I see little point in making a mask which does not sit close as possible to the face .So if you were to try do that with the stamped steel ,I think it would thin the material in the more contoured areas like the nose.

I actually quite like the look of the full face mask. It's got kind of a Metal Gear Solid Ninja meets GI Joe BATS look to it. I also like the look of the half mask ... I'd get that but I'm kinda nervous about ordering from Russia. My Russian orders in the past have never been that great. Out of all the payment methods I think the only one I'd be semi-comfortable with is going through Western Union. Even then ... it's a little unnerving and a PITA for me to get to. The price for either mask is pretty reasonable, but the EMS charges are rather sucky.

Some videos:

There's also more pics on the Russian version of the site.

I'm tempted to do a review ...

Archived