G&P EBR's

MCXL

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of the G&P M14 EBR's but I wanna know a little more about them.

I figure the Hop up will need replacement along with the inner. Are there any other internal things I should consider?

Is a Mod1 going to be a lot more comfortable of a grip then a Mod0?

MOD0

MOD1

Also on the Mod 0 does the rail continue under the grip area or is it just a battery cavity?

I plan on painting the EBR chassis, so I don't mind the silver, or will that be a problem?

I would just get the mod 1, but that 150$ price difference is pretty substantial.

My timetable is pretty short, as I want to get in on one of these Thanksgiving/Black Friday specials that some sites are running (including redwolf)

Thanks in advance-

MCXL

I have seen quite a few MOD-0's and the rail does not continue, there is a void in that space. And that plastic cover is not the more robust looking thing. It flexes a bit (this actually probably makes it more durable, but it doesn't feel that way) and it's bolted onto small metal rails.

This could have changed because I don't think the older MOD-0's were CNC'd. I would hope so because the older MOD-0's had some poor cosmetic defects (I think they were cast).

I prefer the MOD-1 grip, the Sage grip has never felt right in my hands, but that's a personal preference. I don't know what grip options there are on the MOD-0, but the MOD-1 looks like it should take AR-15 grips (the TD Grip is one of my favorites).

We are talking about the G&P here right? I have seen my share of karts and they all look like slushy poo, compared to one of the local guy's G&P chassis.

Hmmm I should send him a PM.

Thats the thing I think the Mod1 is nicer looking, but is it 150$ nicer? (to someone who has like 0 income)

gandp should be fine as is i havent heard any thing bad about the hop unit. ten times better than the karts BUT still a heavy gun, have you considered the CA ones i heard they have used a lighter metal to get it down around the 3.5kg mark thats half the weight of a standard ebr, substantial saving if the guns more than a show peice...

I don't mind the weight as long as its not heavier then real. That said I have seen NO info on the CA. If anyone could give me a link to a review? Or just more info I am more then willing to entertain the idea.

EBRFurniture.jpg

MCXL-

As an owner of a Mod 0 EBR, if I had to do it again, I'd purchase a Mod 1. Mind you the Mod 0 was all that was available at the time so there was no real choice in terms of G&P's kits. The major reason behind this is battery storage. The Mod 0 has that gap in the front end hidden by the plastic grip which is bridged with either a stamped metal bridge, or a full length rail, both of which were included in the kit. Because the rail is covered up there, the placement of a vert grip ends up too far forward for my linking (but there's a short piece of rail one can use that bolts on available from SAGE Industries). The Mod 1 doesn't have this problem as the battery is stored in the stock and the plastic hand guard is two part and bolt onto either side.

Painting it was not an issue, but then again, I had a black EBR.

Weight-wise, the Mod 0 isn't all that heavy, just severely unbalanced with just about everything forward of the pistol grip. With the Mod 1, there is at least a bit more balance with the battery in the stock.

As for whether or not it fits a real AR15 pistol grip, I don't know as I don't have one handy, but the grip does bolt on using a single allen screw.

-Piano

Thanks PianoBlack, thats what I needed to see. Ill get the Mod 1 if I get an EBR at all.

I take it if I want a plastic hand guard thats similar to the Mod0 I can get a setup like that from SAGE that bolts to the side. and If I decide I hate the Ar15 rear, G&P sells the mod 0 rear separate, so I can swap em out.

All that said, it's a pretty steep entry price.

EHA has all three Mod 1s on sale for $600 plus S&H compared to $600 plus S&H just for the Seal version that RW has in stock and their shipping tends to run cheaper the RW for the equivalent service, based upon my experience anyway. Considering I spent well over $700 shipped on the kit and donor, it isn't too bad.

Keep us posted,

Piano

That's a good point, and thanks for the Ehobby link, it may very well be cheaper there. Ill probably still get the "SEALS" one merely because its a better deal, and in one way more functional. The cancer tumor cheek riser is ugly, but if I am gonna use a scope ill need it, plus they throw in a free foregrip!

If I get it I have no idea how im gonna paint it either, I'm not much of a camo guy in the first place :| maybe I should just do a MW2 paint theme. I'D BE COOL IF I HAD RED TIGER EBR RITE?

EDIT: I hear murmurs of the G&P m14 itself of being trash. Any solidity to these rumors?

No, not as of yet.

Based on my experience with G&P aeg's I was surprised, and somewhat doubtful of these murmurs. I don't really care though, all gearboxes eventually fail, and I can just get a prommy kit.

Getting the Mod 1. Wish me luck.

Just thought I'd update. I ordered from redwolf, the shipping came out 20$ cheaper the Ehobby, and the thanksgiving sale completely evened out the price of the guns themselves.

I instructed Redwolf to cover the trades, rather then destroy them. Hopefully that works out.

Thanks again to everybody for the advice.

I HATE my G&P M14 DMR. Its complete poo. Maybe you guys'll get lucky and the newer runs of their M14s aren't ######, but mine (probably one of the first few made/first run) has the shittiest internals known to man. It just has this devil of a compression problem that I just cannot pin down. Its fine up to 400 FPS w/ .25s, but any higher and it just WILL NOT do it. Mind you, this is after 30+ hours of tinkering and fiddling with it, swapping every part out except for the externals and gb shell and dropping $700 on the best quality internals you can currently buy. Stock, mine was COVERED in cosmoline like stuff. Weird and BAD. Hop-up rubber = *suitcase*, as does the barrel. The stock gears stripped under 700 rounds, and the weight on the piston head just sets the piston up for failure. The receiver is ###### pot metal and the paint is even flakier and poor quality than spray paint like krylon, and the receiver was badly made so that the charging handle and fake bolt doesn't work properly. However, the DMR stock, RAS, Barrel, front site and all are great quality premium parts. I just wish I could sort out that compression problem. I've tried everything, all the seals are PERFECT (the cylinder-head and piston head seal is airtight, same with the nozzle to cylinder head seal, and the nozzle actually physically seals up against the hop-up bucking, so what gives?!)

The good news is, all the newer G&P M14s I've heard of don't have these demons, so you might well be surprised with a great gun. All I can say is good luck and be prepared to spend a lot of time on it.

Well its here. First impressions are pretty good so far, I will post pics once the aliens get out from under my bed (where my camera is)

I'll do that over in the review section though, as this is the discussion area.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived