Sugar Glass

Kris2456

Hi, me and a few friends are making a film. I have made some sugar glass for it, and was wondering what you think of it. The video isnt very good quality, but you can see how it smashes when shot.

Ive made it in a few colours, but he next test is to see if i can make it clear. The one on the film was blue btw.

Clickster

Post comments below...

Lol, i was wondering if anyone would ask that.

It took me a while to perfect it, but its still not perfect IMO.

anyway...

The hardest part of it is the mold. You need a base, and a square of something which holds the sugar glass. Both should be made of metal. The square should rest nicely on the base, and should be free to move around. Heres a pic of what i mean (with glass inside):

form8jf.th.jpg

Ok, get about a cupful of sugar. Put some water in it so it covers it. Mix it up a bit.

Put a frying pan on the stove and turn on the heat. Pour in the sugar water. Mix this, make sure u use a wooden spoon.

While thats boiling, tape the square to the base. It also helps if you have something to cover the square, and something heavy to weight it all down.

Check the sugar, the water will boil away, and you will be left with syrup. Add some food coloring if you want, and mix in. It will start going a bit frothy, keep mixing.

Smell the mixture ocasionally and if you smell burnt sugar, its ready. MAKE SURE, that the mixture is not giving off any water vapour when this happens, as water will *fruitcage* it all up.

When you are ready, take the pan off the gas, and leave it for about 15s. Then, pick up the pan and run to your mold, and pour it all in. Make sure the mixture is level in the mold. Then, cover the square, and weight it down so you dont have any leaks.

Leave this for about 15 mins. Then check back. Take off the weight, take a knife, and tap the mixture. If it makes a "tap tap" sound like glass, then you have done it well. If not, well then good luck getting this stuff off.

Put the whole mold into the freezer for about 10 mins, and go play video games (this step is important :D). Then, take out the mold and put it on a table.

First, remove the tape, and lift off the square. You should have a nice square of sugar glass. Now, taking it off the base can be VERY difficult. Try and figure something out :unsure: .

Shoot the glass, its fun.

form21su.th.jpg

WARNING: The hot sugar is like plastic, if it goes on your skin it burns like *fruitcage*, and sticks on. Please be careful.

Ok, i tried to make it clear, but unfortunatly it failed miserably. It turned a brownish yellow, and looked pretty lame. Still, it shattered pretty well when i chucked it at my garage.

Oooh, 10 points to the first person to guess what gun i used in the video to shoot the glass.

Erm, to make it more brittle, I suggest you cool it very quickly. The sugar crystals will be much smaller.

Try put it in a freezer when its in the mold.

If you cool it fast enough you may be able to achieve clear glass, because of the tiny crystaline size..

If not, try cool it very slowly, ie put it near a radiator.

The problem is that caramel itself is brown colured, so not amount of cooling will make it clear as it just has that colour. Im pretty sure the glass that is used professionally is made with something else.

Still, anyone tried to make this yet?

The problem is that caramel itself is brown colured, so not amount of cooling will make it clear as it just has that colour. Im pretty sure the glass that is used professionally is made with something else.

Still, anyone tried to make this yet?

search for 'smash resin' if you want the pro stuff.

http://www.barnesproducts.com.au/barnessmashit.htm for example

Archived