CAG MRE type M4 setup

Scuffer

Evenin' all - I'm looking to make a MRE M4 length upper for my ICS. I don't pretend to know anything about either CAG or their gats so I'm going to need help and some decent reference pictures if anybody has them. From the handful of pictures of this setup of M4 I think that I need the following to get a halfway decent imitation:

# MRE rail/barrel set - which is best King Arms or G&P? Any experiences on fitting them to and ICS reciever?

# Peq - 2 or 15? Want it to be as contempary as possible.

# EoTech - again what model and is a riser needed/often seen?

# Iron sights - fixed or flip up front sights? which buis?

# Retractable stock and butt pad.

# Some RIS panels and a vfg or gangster grip.

# Light - SF Scout or other SF model?

# Ready-mag.

Any advice and hints would be great.

Thanks in advance!

- I prefer the King Arms MRE. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand but I believe the G&P doesnt have the trademarks. I personally have 2 of the King Arms version.

- PEQ2, all the reference material I had showed MRE's with the PEQ2.

- Eotech 551, the short version which takes N Cells. Riser is your choice, I used to use one as I'd find it hard to see the reticule if I wore my Comtac's as well, however my shooting posture has changed and I have moved the Eotech slightly further forward to compensate so I no longer use one.

- Fixed triangle front sight seems to be the most common setup, I've only seen one which had a low profile gas block. For the rear flip up BUIS I used a Matech flip up.

- LMT SOPMOD Stock or the old M4 stock (same style as the L119 ones) with a John Masen or similar style butt pad ( http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=319311 )

- VFG is your choice, and KAC Panels. I personally like the Gangster Grip, sometimes I change over to a VTAC Light mount though.

- Surefire 6P seems popular, or the Scoutlight with an incandescent module so an IR filter can be used.

- Ready Mag, again your choice, I like them personally but they arent for everyone.

Pictures of my current/past setups

6ab57f0a.jpg

2f7f4ccb.jpg

fac0fb27.jpg

Finally, some sort of disclaimer: I do not in any way claim to "know" what this unit use or prefer, this is just my interpretation of various sources such as images, forums, books and the correlation between them.

Tangman, your a legend dude, thanks for the help - I was inches away from PMing you for advice when you posted some pics up a while ago.

Do you happen to still have any of the pics/links that you used for reference?

As my plan is to only build the upper for this, I'm using the same lower from my L119A1 ICS M4. This has the ready-mag set up for the battery and sliding stock and pad. Would I be able to get away with this stock/pad or am I deffinatly going to need the one with the little struts? (Ignore paint/tape as I'l prob re-do it)

Other than swapping the stock over the only other difficulty I can see is the MRE thread not fitting on the ICS receiver, in which case I'l get the receiver re-threaded.

M4Lower003.jpg

So for on my shopping list I have:

# G&P or King Arms MRE kit,

# ICS Upper receiver and upper gearbox,

# ACM EoTech 551,

# ACM E0Tech riser,

# BUIS,

# Front vert grip (this style I think, out of personal preference - Clicky)

Honestly, I'd prefer not to say what is and isn't acceptable as I'm not a know it all. My MRE build was based purely on the very few pictures and images available on the public domain.

I used the John Masen style butt pad as it popped up in a few pics. Thats not to say that others werent/arent used.

I have heard that ICS used a irregular threading compared to the other companies so thats definitely something you should look at imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, does anybody have any experience with either of these MRE RIS kits?

RSOV - ACM KAC Aluminium Free Float MRE RIS Kit

or

EHobbyAsia - EA M4/M16 MRE Handguard Rail System

Reasoning behind m,e getting either of these kits is to save money rather than buying a full MRE kit which contain barrel/sights/rail covers etc which I already have knocking around.

As for fitment - so long as the actual kit will fit on a Mauri type thread but not the ICS my easiest option will be getting the upper receiver re-threaded accordingly.

Archived