Owen Gun

mikoyan99

Now i've nearly finished my type-100 (the last bit is in the post), I want to have a go at another pacific theatre weapon, the Owen gun. Known for its reliability, if not its accuracy, the owen was a very popular weapon with troops and served with the Australian army up until the Vietnam war, when it was eventually replaced with the F1, based on the british sterling.

I'll be scratch building the owen, to keep cost down. I will be using a modified AK hop up and barrel, aluminium tubing, steel plate, an AEP gearbox, and Mp40 or Uzi magazines. It will be held together using high strength glues, and bolts where required or possible. As I lack a decent workshop, the emphasis will be on producing a working gun rather than a 100% accurate replica, so concessions will have to be made on various things to make them either possible or strong enough; sometimes cost will be a deciding factor as well. This is the basic plan:

abominationu.jpg

As you can see, the forward pistol grip is from an ak and the rear the lower receiver from an M93R; using the receiver is a necessity, to save production time and to help mount the gearbox in the correct place. I will be disguising it as much as possible throughout the build.

So far, i've built the hop up and started chopping the tubing i'm using for the reciver. The AEP parts are on their way, kindly donated by a member or arnie's airsoft.

The hop up was a simple job - I inverted the barrel in the hop unit so the hole in the barrel was at the top. I then drilled a small hole just forwards of the feed nozzel asnd insterted a rubber tipped screw; carefully adjusting this screw allows for a hop-up similair to the original.

hpim5323.jpg

regards,

-Matt

Cheers for the info fingertwister, much appreciated. The main problem i'm having at the moment is finding a piece of box section the right size - it needs, ideally, to be 1mm thick, 25mm wide and about 40mm long. Faling that, an SMG mag well would work; has anyone got any sources for any of those?

cheers,

-Matt

Go to an engineering shop, or a furniture place, pick up some 1" square furniture steel tubing, its square tube so just cut the top off it, its normally about 1-1.2mm thickness, and engineering shops have plenty of offcuts

Made by two wizards in NZ who can do things that I find impossible. (i.e. build anything of acceptable quality).

Country pride, right there

Sorry, shameless i know. I do know the two who built it though, they gave me some pointers on my browning build

Some progress:

hpim5336.jpg

Obviously theres a slight problem with the magazine placement - but it's only about 1" further back than it's meant to be, so i'm too really worried, although this may not end up as a perfect replica. Epoxy is to hold the barrel and hope in place. Don't ask about the sign, it turned up randomly the other day from who knows where.

-Matt

The Kuwait air force is going to be unstoppable now!

Also, as for it being 1" back, I would suggest flipping the magazine around, so that the nozzle is on the side closest to the operator. That should sneak you just about an inch forward. This can be done by simply cutting up the Mp40 magwell a bit and reversing the mag catch.

hpim5368m.jpg

Started work on the reciver and stock. It's all a bit rough and ready, but it is working now. The gun takes a mini 7.2V battery in the stock, with the wires running through the receiver. The Lower receiver will be enlarged and neatened up a little using epoxy. Major bits still to do are the magazine well, outer barrel and forward pistol grip.

regards,

-Matt

The hop chamber is dead simple - it's an AK hop, turned upside down. The regular hop mechanism is removed, but the rubber is left in place. The barrel is inverted in the hop, so the hole is the same side as the feed nozzle. After careful measuring, a 2mm hole was drilled above this, then a self tapping screw was put through to thread it. The point was cut off of the same screw, which was filed flat. A small piece of rubber was glued where the point had been cut off. The whole assembly screws into the hole, and turing the screw up or down adjusts the hop.

On a less cheerful note, I test the gun this morning with an 8.4v stick battery, and blue smoke appeared, so something has gone. Hopefully it's my soldering, but more likely it seems it's something in the gearbox, which will be a PITA to replace.

-Matt

Tried again with the 7.2v mini and it's working. I'll check carefully for shorts, but hopefully i've got away with it.

-Matt

Thankyou - I did finish it

- kind of. I'd nearly completed all of the externals when I decided to put a few mags through to test everything was working correctly. It was fine for the first 10 or so shots, then the trigger contacts went. I had to rip the gun open (no mean feat at that point) and repair them, which I duly did. I then tested it again, and the gears stripped. I can only guess that the 7.2v mini was too powerful, and the internals just tore themselves apart.

Too disheartened to continue, i've taken all of the useable internals out for future projects. I bolted the gun back together (wouthout using any more filler, or sanding etc), and gave it a very rough paint job to see how it would have looked and felt, which is surprisingly good (although a better paint job would be required.) I'm going to keep it now as a wall hanger, but I may sell it on in future if anyone is interested - it could be made to work with the some dedication.

hpim5379.jpg

hpim5378.jpg

hpim5375.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped with parts,

regards,

-Matt

Hardly surprising, seeing as all I did since you last commented was add the barrel and pistol grip. Do you really think i'm going to bother finishing the externals on a broken gun?

You're entitled to your opinion, but personally i'm happy with the externals of the gun. I don't mind constructive critisiscm, but your posts do smack of trolling.

-Matt

Moan all you want, but Its still just a aep glock with a mp40 barrel and magwell glued onto it.

you didnt even bother making a proper frontgrip for it, and hacked up a vsr for the stock.

Look at it man - it was a good idea but jesus crist i made better things when i was 10

I never claimed it was anything else - the whole point was to make it for the lowest possible budget, using bits I had lying around at home. I never claimed it was going to be a perfect replica, in fact if you had have bothered reading the posts you might have realised that.

I really can't understand where you're coming from on this i'm afraid, and like I keep saying, it isn't finished. Regardless, I simply don't have the time to waste to continue arguing with you so unless you've got something useful to add, please don't bother posting here again.

-Matt

Moan all you want, but Its still just a aep glock with a mp40 barrel and magwell glued onto it.

you didnt even bother making a proper frontgrip for it, and hacked up a vsr for the stock.

Look at it man - it was a good idea but jesus crist i made better things when i was 10

IS that not what custom is? When I looked at this in the beginning It looked like ######, Now it looks good. Not my taste but to each his own and I think he did a great job on it. Can we some of your custom work perhaps?

Archived