New Tornado Impact Grenade video

Kraut

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not as safe as timer me thinks. You can't roll these.

They say it's very safe, rough handling wouldn't set it off, only a direct impact. How do you know you can't roll it into a wall or other obstacle?

Since the originals were utterly unreliable, not much interest in these.

Did you try maintaining the original?

maintaining has nothing to do with it. the originals were worthless in the outdoors... this improved model don't seem to improve much for outdoor use as well.

and don't you have to actually be ON the floor of shot show to actually say you announced at shot show as opposed to some circus circus hotel room? ;)

That is silly, the originals worked and continue to work great. Agreed that they are not effective for woodlands, but have been put to great use in MOUT and CQB. They are not perfect, but they work and are effective, not to mention are the best option out there. Yes, I've tried pretty much all the options out there.

I've used my timer tornados quite a lot. The main issue I had with them was the delay. They always detonated ... but when was the question. Because of that I chose to retire them as they never worked when needed. Changing the tornado to an impact grenade is a good idea IMO. I'll gladly sacrifice the ability to roll a grenade so long as I can still toss them. In fact I think that'd be more accurate for my needs as I can control where the grenade lands when I toss it versus rolling the grenade and guessing where it'll detonate mid roll.

In light of this, I really hope (though doubt) that the AI Tornado Grenades could be retrofitted to the New AI Impact Grenade. Otherwise, forces me to buy the Impact Grenades and leave my regular Tornados to collect dust on the shelf which will really tick me off. I still feel a little burned over buying some and then convincing my entire team to buy a case load which none of us use anymore due to it's undependability to detonate with any regularity. <_<

Since the gas pressure regulated the fuse time on the timer ones and doesn't have anything to do with the function of the impact ones what do you think the chances are that you could use the impact ones with red gas or regulated CO2?

The slightly anaemic power of the timer ones was an issue for me...

*edit* corps, looks like the fuse assembly has a different thread to the timer one.

If they do release a retro-fit impact fuse for the timer one it will be different to the parts for the existing impact grenade and will be a bit of a wait (if they bother at all).

the originals worked and continue to work great.

What's your definition of 'work great'?

Mine have never 'failed' as such. Nor have they ever succeeded.

The 3 second fuse has always been over 7 seconds & was originally an unpredictable 10 - 20 seconds. The bb's have never failed to exit but never actually hit anyone hard enough for them to declare a hit. In the heat of battle, you don't even hear them go off.

So, yeah, they work.

But are utterly useless.

Greg.

What's your definition of 'work great'?

They reliably detonate in a reasonable amount of time. The 3 that I have do. I keep them well-lubed in order to make that happen. All 3 go off in the 2-6 second range. I have used them in full-indoor CQB, as well as Bulldog and Irene.....they have worked consistently in those environments. At times, we've tossed them with the intent to flush people out, as much as to try to get BB hits on them.

Yes, I do agree the timer isn't perfect, but it is the best one out there, and that is ignoring the fact that the Tornado disperses BBs better than any other option out there also.

I'm not sure how people wouldn't know they go off since the 200 BBs shoot off everywhere and ricochet off everything. The BBs do not hit especially hard, but enough for someone to honestly admit they've been hit or not.

Perhaps living in the UK weather, i.e. colder temps, is making them problematic for you. Living in moderate-to-warm-to-hot temperature environment that is Texas and other mid-to-southern states in the US has proven them to work nicely.

Other teammates have deployed theirs effectively with reasonable timers also. There have been the occasional 'too-long-of-timers' that has been solved by lubing. In addition, a couple of us had a couple of them from when they were first released and the chamber appeared to be too tight with the moving shuttle......thus, they would take too long to detonate, no matter what you did. We had one shuttle that could NOT be put back in the chamber, it was that tight. I suspect that there was some variance in the shuttles across different batches. I don't have proof of of this. AI sent us new shuttles, and those grenades have worked correctly since that time.

The spoon kits were a much needed release and we gladly added them to our Tornadoes, since you are right in that the variance in timing made pulling the original pin and trying to quickly throw them proved less-than-ideal.

Sorry that they haven't worked for you, but that hasn't been my experience.

Mine have been maintained meticulously. The fuse is either; 10+ seconds or blow-up-in-your-hand. I quit using it.

I agree they are the best detonating-grenade airsoft alternative out there. I don't agree they "work". In the sense that you can use em and count on them. Our team has used dozens of these, and I've seen them handed out by our local distributor and used widely at events like the Irenes. And they always end up back in the box, people handing them back in; "Here you go, this doesnt work".

Its just too bad airsoft just can't seem to adopt a widely accepted reasonable honor system for grenades. At Springfield (in Ohio) we allow dummy non-firing replicas and everyone has no problems calling themselves out it seems. Alas dummy grenades seem to be the only way to truly reproduce the RS grenade experience in airsoft: drop dead simple to use and reliable.

I see these new-triggered AI tornados as another set of lab room wonders and real-use letdowns. Its the best grenade yet, we're just not there yet.

1, Perhaps living in the UK weather, i.e. colder temps, is making them problematic for you. Living in moderate-to-warm-to-hot temperature environment that is Texas and other mid-to-southern states in the US has proven them to work nicely.

2, Sorry that they haven't worked for you, but that hasn't been my experience.

1, I agree that's possibly it. Ave temp 10C & the odd 25C summers day, probably don't help but still? Having to walk into a room & debate who got hit by the grenade, only to get 'what grenade?' get's very tiresome. They are totally under powered. I did ask if they would ever do an X rated, 'cold region' one with say double the power. Due to the obvious safety implications, they ain't remotely interested.

2, Me too. I got on these as soon as they came out. They looked like the answer to all my prayers. Carl was very supportive & talked me through the disembly/lube procedure. That's how I got the fuse to where it is.

By way of customer service, he even sent me a free tornado! Talk about miss the point. 'I'm sorry you don't like my product, please except another one, free of charge'. :(

Despite my bad experience, I'm glad they are working for you. ;) Shame you ain't local. You could buy mine & we'd both be happy. :D

Greg.

I've seen them handed out by our local distributor and used widely at events like the Irenes. And they always end up back in the box, people handing them back in; "Here you go, this doesnt work".

{shrug}

Conversely, after a teammate and I deployed them at the local indoor CQB facility many successful times over the course of one particular night, Opfor was bugging the local retailer to stock them as they all wanted to buy them.

And we used them effectively to clear out the houses next to the embassy and the ZNN building at this past Irene.

However, everyone has their own experiences.

... Having to walk into a room & debate who got hit by the grenade, only to get 'what grenade?' get's very tiresome...

Another reason why a dummy replica and a loud shouted "BANG!" alongside a "all in room die regardless of cover" rule is working best for us up our way. No arguements, no splitting hairs, no excuses like a turned over card table as cover... Never a problem with this, nobody can argue when you point down to the grenade on the floor. If it breaks the plane of the door/window and you're in the room, *poof* you're all dead. In fact we find people having more fun acting out extravagant death sequences when the grenade experience is clearcut and interactive like this.

Grenades should

1) be incredibly easy to use and reliable

2) have simple to enforce rules

The above is that.

The AI Tornado - much as I loved it when it came out, and bought one right away, and handled and operated it with meticulous loving care - isn't.

I'm not discounting some people have more luck with them than others. But if these things truly worked consistently, you'd see em in everyone's kit. Today you dont. You saw a big uptake the year they came out, then the reality set in.

Believe me - I *REALLY* want an airsoft grenade that goes BANG. I really do. I wish AI all the best and hope they continue to improve the design and operation of their fuses. They've got the BB spread down pat.

I wondering it will detonate while running if you have it hanging on your rig or something.

You still have to pull the pin first for it to detonate, or do you plan on running around with the pin pulled all the time? That, or if you mean you want to run around with the grenade attached to your rig purely via the pin ... then you're begging for a Darwin award. I'm just saying.

amateurstuntman: yup, kinda sucks. You guys have some awesome Pyro over there.

Still don't get why people buy these - here the tornado grenade costs about £70 / $100 and I can get two C02 grenades (that always go off and can be stuffed with powder, BBs etc.), a blank firing grenade that always goes off with 5 secs or about 40 pea grenades.

Tried them all and always go back to the cheap n cheerful pea grenades.

Archived