Stippling

Danke

Isn't that the point of checkering or a rubber surface...

Plus it looks disgusting (IMO), kind of like the gun got a disease.

Not everything is checkered or rubberized from the get-go, that's where stippling comes in.

Also, under certain conditions it can be fare more efficient than both of the aforementioned :)

Agreed, rubber coating will wear over time (as everything will, but at a higher rate than properly sealed wood, or plastic), and checkering takes more time to be done properly.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same purpose for those with different tastes. And there are variations within stippling ranging from broken glass to wet tissue paper. I personally prefer a tree bark roughness, looks natural too.

To each their own. I personally find the traditional checkering pattern boring.

I added the wood grain look to my WA SV grips when I first picked them up six years ago. I used a round tip on my soldering iron. The following is the second grip I did which turned out a little bit better than my first go round:

n40101521_31514614_4789.jpg

My groves work together well enough so the mountain (high point) of the grove is relatively rounded so the grip doesn't feel sharp. When I did it I held the grip in place and moved the iron over it, if I were to do it again I'd probably do it the other way around and move the grip over the iron. The effect you're trying to create will, at least to a point, dictate the method you use to apply the stippling though. The temperature of the iron will also play a part in what effects you can create and how it will turn out; in my case I think my iron was just a stitch too hot and forced me to rush the process.

I also wish I hadn't done anything to the trigger guard, but what's done is done.

Edit: Add my work.

Thanks. I used Narra, a local tropical hardwood. You'd need hardwoods with tight grain to do checkering as anything less ends up being frayed or rough. A great wood to use accessible to you guys would be walnut.

Beech is also a good dense wood for use with gun furniture (and probably cheaper than walnut)

First time with a soldering iron, so i took a old KWC Sigma frame and started practicing as today i got some free time and always wanted to try stippling:

The final work:

Sigma1.jpg

Pic of the grip and soldering iron:

Sigma2.jpg

Better pic of the grip:

Sigma3.jpg

As you can see the best part is the grip because it was the last thing i did.

Also the soldering iron' doesn't help much as it is long and the tip isn't straight. But i am happy with my first try fo far.

To each their own. I personally find the traditional checkering pattern boring.

I added the wood grain look to my WA SV grips when I first picked them up six years ago. I used a round tip on my soldering iron. The following is the second grip I did which turned out a little bit better than my first go round:

-Snip-

My groves work together well enough so the mountain (high point) of the grove is relatively rounded so the grip doesn't feel sharp. When I did it I held the grip in place and moved the iron over it, if I were to do it again I'd probably do it the other way around and move the grip over the iron. The effect you're trying to create will, at least to a point, dictate the method you use to apply the stippling though. The temperature of the iron will also play a part in what effects you can create and how it will turn out; in my case I think my iron was just a stitch too hot and forced me to rush the process.

I also wish I hadn't done anything to the trigger guard, but what's done is done.

Edit: Add my work.

This I like.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got bored today and started with this:

CIMG3173.jpg

I went a but crazy with this since it was just an experiment, i was going to replace the VFG with a AFG anyway so i thought i might give it a go.

Then i moved on to my SR-15:

CIMG3176.jpg

Any comments are more than welcome.

^That came out nicely.

Curious, but has anyone tried the AR15 Screw stippling method? I remember someone gave me this link back on the AR15 Picture Thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=19&t=261758

I want to try this on something, but my worry is that the patterns will be too shallow (I personally like deeper stippling).

Any comments are more than welcome.

Alston,

Did you use a variable temp. sodering iron to do that? If you, maybe try decreasing the temp. a bit and or at least getting the heat source away from the plastic quicker, so you don't burn it and cause the discoloration you have on the AFG. You probably didn't have to go so deep either.

It looks good though either way.

I used a butane soldering iron, but on the lowest setting as i can before turning the gas supply off.

I knew i would darken the colour anyway, and i expected much worse.

But i might infest in a low powered electric one for future stippling, what Wattage do you guys recommend?

I think i have something in my mind telling me that if i do it too shallow it wouldn't be grippy enough. But i think i've really gone over the top on the VFG.

I'm glad i did that first lol. :P I may experiment some more later.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, test the material first in an area not externally visible, like on KAC panels, their underside. Some plastics take well to stippling, and some don't. Stippling the underside should give you a good idea of whether or not your iron is hot enough, what kind of pattern will it produce, and if the plastic is even suitable for stippling.

An example of stippling I've done:

stippling01small.jpg

It didn't take long to do and the amount of traction I get from it is awesome. I've done it with quite a few KAC panels now (both real KAC and G&P panels). They all took the stippling well. Magpul plastic doesn't work as well. But it does work.

Found the pics I took showing my stippling method:

stipplingprogressionsma.jpg

(click for larger pic)

The first step is to grind off all the ribs. Then I randomly stipple all over it in a scattered manner, and then I start clustering stippled dots until I cover the entire thing. I find randomly stippling all over it first, makes the process feel a little less daunting (not that it really is anyway). The part of the process I enjoyed the least was grinding off the panel ribs on the belt sander. I actually find the stippling itself rather zen-like. The finished texture is very aggressive, but your hand will not slip on it, even in the rain.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I'd checked back here before I went ahead and did it to my rail panels anyway... I really like that effect you've done uscm!

I completely fluffed the first stippling I did, they didn't have a pattern so it didn't turn out well.

I think I recovered from my error quite well though, I sprayed over the badly done bit and then stippled the middle bit, I just did rows as the pattern, so it doesn't look as nice as your more planned one but I still like the effect. I get a hell of a lot of grip off them.

this.jpg

• 1 month later...

I finally got some time to do something i always wanted to:

4787244876_e689196559.jpg

4787253788_4e6f6a8707.jpg

Sorry about the bad lighting, i was in a hurry.

What do you guys think?

Edit:

*Just saw the post underneath* Nice dude.

Does anyone know where i can get tan/taupe or whatever 1911 G10 grips so i can stipple my own?

I'm currently using Pachmyer grips on my MEU but i want a stipple job done on my MEU, but i hate plastic grips. So G10 grips?

I wish I'd checked back here before I went ahead and did it to my rail panels anyway... I really like that effect you've done uscm!

I completely fluffed the first stippling I did, they didn't have a pattern so it didn't turn out well.

I think I recovered from my error quite well though, I sprayed over the badly done bit and then stippled the middle bit, I just did rows as the pattern, so it doesn't look as nice as your more planned one but I still like the effect. I get a hell of a lot of grip off them.

Wow! Do you have pics of what it looked like before, and then the stock rail covers? I assume that the middle portion was flat before hand, or am I misguided?

Great job, I love it

Archived