Bullpup G36

Jon L

Right well I have always loved the idea of a bullpup, but of the current raneg avilible (famas, aug, f2000, l85, tar21, type 97) I either really dislike the astetics of them (l85), find the balance not to my liking (tar21, l85), have no good version currently availible (f2000), are to expensive to buy including mags (type 97, famas), or have parts that can easily be damaged, rendering the gun dead (aug trigger contacts).

I love my g36's to bits, they are great guns. but a thought sprang to mind, a bullpup g36. I searching google and found a bullpup g36 on a spanish forum. I thought that the end result looked good but aspects of that build could be improved. Therefore I have been descussing this with my old man and a mate. The conclusion that we have come to is that the final product should have a ris mounted forward pistol grip and trigger assembly. This allows the pistol grip to be moved to the most comfortable position for the shooter.

The next thing that I think is also important is that the project be fully reversable. To allow you to go from standard g36 to bullpup version depending on what you feel like playing. With this in mind If all goes well with the test model that I have knocked up then hopefully i will be able to get a mould made up for a stock that uses the current bolt and lock platform.

Unlike the mockup version I have made the new trigger system would be electronic and would just move the point at which to curcuit is completed from the original trigger to the new one, to do this the plan is to contect the new trigger in with the existing wiring in the gun, but to have a small conector just outside the rear of the new pistol grip so you can still take the handguard on and off to access the battery.

Currently on the mockup version there is no rear sight, I will either put some sort of dot sight on or get a ris mounted backup sight to mount on instead.

If all goes well with testing this weekend then i hope to create a rear mould for the stock, and a front mould consisting of a new pistol grip and trigger unit. If there is enough interest, then i may well put the kit into production.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Here are some photos of the knockup version that I will be testing this weekend. I have made this as simple as possible, as what I am testing is the concept, and to see how easy it is to play with, shoulder in game etc.

DSCF2012.jpg

DSCF2016.jpg

DSCF2015.jpg

DSCF2013.jpg

I almost missed the relocated trigger, looks a bit small vs the original?

As a prototype/ proof of concept I'd say thats pretty cool- very compact and manouverable.

Doing the full conversion could be a devil, but if you fitted a more traditional style pistol grip as the foregrip it would no-doubt be more comfortabloe & look 'right'. Great project though, dont see many bullpups really, just chopped down rifles a la 'patriot' type thingies.

Have fun with it over the weakend.

Cheers for the comments guys:

@Trigger, hopefully if all goes well I will get a mold done of the current pistol grip and trigger guard, make it ris mountable. The bar trigger that is currently shown is just for the purpose of the test. It was the simplest solution I could come up with to be able to test the rest of the concept.

@farras, The reach is not too bad with the trigger hand, but I am unsure of where to place my other hand, as its not like an l85 where you can put it on the handguard, currently the most comfortable position is on the mag, as a sort of secondary grip. If this goes ahead with the ris mounted pistol grip you would be able to move the grip back and forth along a ris rail. If you placed the ris rail as far back as possible you could move the grip to within an inch of the mag. thinking about it now, that might be the sensible thing to do, then you could hold the handguard ala l85. Cheers for that. ;p

@gijohn, Yea the stock is currently just two bits of wood with some folded up paper in between to space them over the stock plate that protrudes from the receiver, the stock rubber off the stock, and a whole lot of electrical tape. I am hoping for a finish much like that of an sl9 stock. Perhaps I could steal that idea with the plates to provide more/less length in the stock for those that want it.

Right well after having a chat with my mate, he has come up with what i think could be the winner with regards to trigger placement. His idea was to use the mag as the pistol grip, such as you find on mac11, mp7, any pistol, where the mag, and magwell double as a grip. By placing the trigger just in front on the magwell as shown with the mockup It avoids having to disconnect the trigger from the body to get the handguard off. It also shortens the reach, and although I found the reach workable before, this configuration is much more comfortable after holding the gun in this fashion for 10-15 minutes I felt no sense of overweight or ache in my arm, it was just a good position. Hopefully this will transfer to a gameday. The only thing I notice in this setup is that the stock could be an inch or so longer, but thats me, someone else could like it at this length.

If I can manage to get this configuration to work then it will leave me more time to think about the stock and how to get that into a modular design that fits in with the rest of the gun.

DSCF2019.jpg

DSCF2018.jpg

DSCF2017.jpg

Looks cool man.

You might want to think about an electrical fireing system rather than a mechanical one. Using micro switches etc..

Also so that you dont have the G36 pistol grip on show like this you could build around it and possibly the mag.

like so but obviously fitted to the G36, not a paintball gun and look better! or like this Get where im coming from?

And this -

CustomFamas.jpg

Might give you a better idea. Its hard its all in my brain.

Covering up the rear for asthetics and id say using a similar grip to the one i linked.

Unless you have giant super hands then using the G36 mag as the grip will be amazing painful after 5 mins.

I like it! :D

haha, cheers guys, the mechanical trigger is only on there for the purpose of testing, i fully intend to replace it with an electronic trigger system.

I saw the spanish g36 bullpup, and really didnt like the fact that the pistol grip was so obvious. I would like to try and hide it with the stock. to look sort of like an sl9 stock.

Surprisingly the mag as grip idea feels quite good, and fits the hand well. I will see how it goes on sunday. I'm currently making up a shorter bar like the first one so i can move the vert grip back towards the mag a few inches.

haha, cheers guys, the mechanical trigger is only on there for the purpose of testing, i fully intend to replace it with an electronic trigger system.

I saw the spanish g36 bullpup, and really didnt like the fact that the pistol grip was so obvious. I would like to try and hide it with the stock. to look sort of like an sl9 stock.

Surprisingly the mag as grip idea feels quite good, and fits the hand well. I will see how it goes on sunday. I'm currently making up a shorter bar like the first one so i can move the vert grip back towards the mag a few inches.

Good to know. I think you and me are on the same wave length.. I was trying to mock up a 'design' using the SL9 stock on pimpmygun!

see i really like the look of the sl9 stock but having to get a new receiver for it, is a load of balls. But i am going to poach the spacer plates idea from it, so you would be able to adjust length at the stock and the grip.

I wonder what the switch they put on the left hand side of the pistol grip was for, is that the trigger( I saw there is a trigger but is that not functional? or is that to engage full auto or something? I don't speak spanish so I had a hard time understanding what was going on

yea thats the spanish versiopn i have been referring to. I believe the switch is a safety. I just really dont like the way that she didnt fill in the back of the stock, or the way she moved the top rail forward, or the pistol grip being fixed in one place. Basically I am hoping to end up with somethign similar but better hopefully. ;p

yea thats the spanish versiopn i have been referring to. I believe the switch is a safety. I just really dont like the way that she didnt fill in the back of the stock, or the way she moved the top rail forward, or the pistol grip being fixed in one place. Basically I am hoping to end up with somethign similar but better hopefully. ;p

Thats what I see when I think of Bullpup g36. Isnt the psitol grip suppoesed to be in one place? Ive been shooting all sorts of foreign weapons for awhile and Ive never seen one with an adjustable pistol grip.

Ok, well imagine that the pistol grip and trigger unit are all one thing. It will only be a electrical connection being made by the trigger, not mechanical as the photos show.

The new pistol grip and trigger unit with be mounted to a ris rail, the same as the vertical grip in the photo. As its ris mounted you can move it up and down the ris rail, thus being adjustable.

regular wired? locked in?

Well the idea was to have the wiring running form the gun out through a hole in the bottom on the handguard/just in front of the magwell and then with a wire coming out the rear of the grip connect the two using deans connectors. You would then just have excess wire in the gun and could pull however much you wanted out to increase the reach, or stuff it back into the hole to decrease.

regular wired? locked in?

Well the idea was to have the wiring running form the gun out through a hole in the bottom on the handguard/just in front of the magwell and then with a wire coming out the rear of the grip connect the two using deans connectors. You would then just have excess wire in the gun and could pull however much you wanted out to increase the reach, or stuff it back into the hole to decrease.

Archived