KSC Glock 17 - Broken Part 78.... But How!?

jagillham

My KSC glock decided to give up the ghost, and was not releasing the gas from the mag. I've taken it apart and found part 78 is broken. Mine is broken on the loop, just where the "C" and "O" are of Uncompany is missing!

ksc-g23f-part78_big.jpg

Any idea on how this might have come about?

Exploded diagram below just for reference :)

ksc-g19s.jpg

Same thing happend to two of my glocks. By racking slide and pulling trigger without mag inserted puts more stress on part

78 and can lead to this. I'm considering getting the SD steel part.

My part 78 went too, I agree with the above that firing without the mag is one of the causes of this problem.

I got the upgraded steel part 78 and have had no problems after 200+ mags through it.

the part is similar in the kjw glock i have and broke in the same place, it did look as if the

hammer had caused the issue, but due to the usage it has seen may have been wear an dtear,

or as you have mentioned operating the action with out magazine.

i managed to manufacture a replacement part from a piece of aluminim, which has worked well since.

It happens if you cock the hammer and then pull the trigger without the slide. The slide stops the hammer from hitting the top of the valve knocker. Without a slide, it only takes a few hits for the hammer to break that piece in two or bend it. The magazine has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: I took a picture to show what I was talking about:

P1050414.jpg

See how the hammer touches the valve knocker just in the place where it usually breaks? That will not happen if the slide is on, the hammer will be stopped by the slide before it hits that spot.

Archived