The GZ weekender

suicidalsnowman

Heh, call me a cynic but wasn't the 2009 price higher than the 2008 price by a fiver but you got less ie no GZ patches/ICS caps/Manufacturer presence/retail according to what I heard. I know a fiver isn't a lot to an individual but when it's an extra £5,000 to the organisers you have to wonder if there is an element of paintball mentality slipping in.

meh, im not sure if even want to go to the 2010 one, 09 was such an expensive dissapointment for me, the fact that the website being 'up' is just the old site with 2009 changed to 2010 makes me think it will be another cashcow festival for the owners - the number of smiling kids a saw buying rifs for the silly prices they were charging really annoyed me and my pals.

but then again killing deltas would be a good reason to go, vengence for last years one sided game and unfair points allocations

magic golem...

I wasn't there (sadly) so I can't be totally sure, but having read through the threads on the Zero In Forums, it has been stated time and time again that points were allocated fairly... For example, the rumour about points being deducted from Bravo was blown well out of proportion, and, albeit being the threatened as a punishment for the "collaboration" (which also apparently never happened), there were no points deducted, nor added out of place with what teams earned...

last years one sided game and unfair points allocations

Do people really care about that sort of thing? :huh:

No wonder it's all gone down hill since '07. :rolleyes:

At GZ prior to that, it was a sort of unwritten ironic humor thing, that Delta always won. No matter what actually happened. This sort of took away the nasty competitive cheating side of things, as no matter what you did, the same team were pretty likely to end up winning. :D

It amazes me that folk actually walk away from a big & fun event, like that, asking who won? <_<

The answer is obviously, every one who had fun. ;)

As with all airsoft.

Greg.

Us Londoners have been delta for the last 3 years and i agree the 2009, and 2008 where *suitcase* i dont know why plus the fort was missing ? (the blue castle anyone remember that ?) 2007 was fantastic

i think they need to use some of the money and invest it into the site i know its mainly woodland but that *suitcase* labyrinth could use a fix up and a new place like the castle should be made

What about a speed ball arena where the best team wins a prize like paintball, massive inflatable walls and barriers etc

Delta lost last year we need some revenge

Went last year, my first time it was great i had no problems. I never had patchs so wont miss them, however if they empty out the toilets this time and i can have a camp fire it will be even better.

I say this and my first gun broke so i was using a spring shot gun all weekend still super fun.

I agree previous years we had camp fires and it was great everyone just chilling around the fire, now we have to use a bbq for a camp fire kinda sucks

1) Us Londoners have been delta for the last 3 years and i agree the 2009, and 2008 where *suitcase* i dont know why plus the fort was missing ? (the blue castle anyone remember that ?) 2007 was fantastic

2) i think they need to use some of the money and invest it into the site i know its mainly woodland but that *suitcase* labyrinth could use a fix up and a new place like the castle should be made

3) What about a speed ball arena where the best team wins a prize like paintball, massive inflatable walls and barriers etc

4) Delta lost last year we need some revenge

5) I agree previous years we had camp fires and it was great everyone just chilling around the fire, now we have to use a bbq for a camp fire kinda sucks

1) Been a Bravo at GZ06 GZ07 and GZ08, couldn't make 09 due to work but I found 08 to be a personal favourite due to better facilties and more manufacturer prescence, felt more like a festival than just a big skirmish. The only thing marring 08 I felt was in fact over attendance. At 06/07 you had 10 man groups max bumping into each other, at 08 a team mate personally witnessed 20 man 'sweeper' groups brassing up all the vegetation moving down a path with no confirmation of enemy presence....a little pointless and the sort of play that'd tick other people off. (I'm not averse to the odd meat grinder however). 09 I am told was more of the same.

2) Agreed

3) Can't remember if it was last year's website but I do recall there being 'pistol competition' going around somewhere, not sure if anything came of it. To be honest its not something that appeals to me but then neither do the night games due to the clusterfrakks they tend to be overall.

4) Delta can chew on my plastic balls ;)

5) A fried who went to 09 'appropriated' a drum from a building side, with the help of a cutting tool using the two halfs we had a low lying half drum high fuel capacity BBQ and this seemed to pass muster with the camp site marshalls...and they were melting glass in it again...

@ RWJP , hehe well first off after gz every negative comment was removed from the zeroin forum by mods and a few bans handed out to people who were not happy.

Secondly i was actually in the bravo base when the points deduction new came in over the radio -8000 iirc at which point a lot of bravos including me decided to go back to our cars and leave, only when so many decided to just cll it a day did the admins start up this story of the points deduction was a threat and not to be carried out, only to disuade us from cheating etc.. if it was a threat then why radio to us that we had been docked points for cheating.?

it wasnt against the rules btw, and for it being a rumor that a coalition was made where none actually was - i know the people who did it and can say that it did happen.

ive recently posted on the zeroin thread about gz 2010 that perhaps the organisers should look more into the reasons that bravo and the others decided to do it, as both teams had a very similar experiences with deltas which led them to feel hard done by.

also i think getting points for having the money to get a plane to do a leaflet drop was very unfair.

but as for next year, im not sure if im going to go, game aside and all that i feel that the weekend could have had so much more in way of facilities, instead of having a clear feeling that it wasnt about the game or airsoft but just money.

no friday night game, half as much in the raffle as the previous year. marshalls not giving a ###### - one even said to us when asked to go chrono a hot gun 'i cant be assed its sunday anyway' makes for a poor impression really.

and the excuses that the recession was in full swin doesnt cut it, we were all feeling that.

Been every years since 2005 (maybe 06? Can't remember) and I believe it's gone down hill every year. Increased prices despite more players just hints at greed by the organisers. Too many people meant that play is too static and completely non-tactical. I'll probably still go again, but it's far more for the atmosphere at nights rather than the actual game play now.

Heh, call me a cynic but wasn't the 2009 price higher than the 2008 price by a fiver but you got less ie no GZ patches/ICS caps/Manufacturer presence/retail according to what I heard. I know a fiver isn't a lot to an individual but when it's an extra £5,000 to the organisers you have to wonder if there is an element of paintball mentality slipping in.

There was nothing handed out in '09. By all accounts it was a rip off last year. In 08 there were manufacturers of gear, weapons etc... with lots of things to see, and people to talk to at the stands. Last year there was none of that, and yet an increased price. I was a bit annoyed at this as it's part of the atmosphere that I really enjoyed in 08. I have to agree with everything you've said thus far RSM!

meh, im not sure if even want to go to the 2010 one, 09 was such an expensive dissapointment for me, the fact that the website being 'up' is just the old site with 2009 changed to 2010 makes me think it will be another cashcow festival for the owners - the number of smiling kids a saw buying rifs for the silly prices they were charging really annoyed me and my pals.

but then again killing deltas would be a good reason to go, vengence for last years one sided game and unfair points allocations

In agreement again, I've been Delta every year I've been but that's just down to the team we were allocated in the first year and haven't wanted to switch. The bias towards Delta last year was far too great, I just want a fair game and have fun... Oh and also to have the results on the day we leave. They manage to total the scores up for Saturdays games for the Saturday night announcement, yet it took almost a month to calculate Sundays and Saturdays scores? Yeah...right. Laziness on the organisers behalves. A lot of things need to change for the game play to improve - firstly by cutting the numbers to a max of 750 or so? I'd be happy to pay a little extra for a number cap.

The lack of a proper Friday game was yet another thing that made last year a rip off.

yeah no friday night game annoyed me, would have been nice to break up pitching camp then chilling with pals etc.

apping the number would be a great idea but no way it would ever happen, nice to hear someone from delta agreeing. at the time most comments delta palyers typically made were pretty much just your not 7337(leet) enough...go home and cry to your mum etc.

well...

I've only been the once, and that was in 2008.

We took the KGB boys and it was a mixed bag of responses.

For me it was pretty much an indifferent response. I liked some parts, and I disliked others.

Having such large numbers is both a blessing and a curse. I liked it, but it caused untold problems in my opinion.

Was nice to have such a target rich environment.

For me, the main downer was points allocation and organisation.

We were on the 'Others' and our so-called Team Leader appeared to be disinterested, disorganised and a little incompetent. We couldn't get any sense out of him as to any objectives and any form of game plan, so in the end we had to devise our own or go direct to the organisers to find out what we should be doing.

I felt that the games dependance on 'collectable' points (bags of stuff etc) rather than 'objective based' points (which could have resulted in some spectacular battles) made the whole weekend feel like a 'treasure hunt' rather than an all out battle.

I've organised plenty of weekend games (not on such a large scale, but certainly in the triple figure range) where it was possible to orchestrate large stand up fights without making the whole thing linear.

I think a little more planning and forethought would have been a good idea.

Making sure that the 'leaders' are motivated, interested and capable of leading such a large body of men would also help.

The Friday night game is a good idea (I missed it because I was getting lashed).

The raffles and stuff are a nice idea, but not overly necessary.

What I would like is to see a larger number of retailers there. really to see any new kit, and chew the fat with people you only 'see' over the phone.

Would I go again..... dunno really.

Possibly. It was different. I'm used to Stirling's events and they are much more Mil-Sim based. so it was a pleasant change. The disorganisation left a bit of a sour taste for me though.

So I'd have to seriously think about it.

i was in the delta team guarding the objective when i saw group of others and bravo walked up to each other, i was like maybe they are friends talked for second then attacked us deltas

With both teams attacking us we had no chance, and to be fair it wasn't one or two people it was a lot of others and bravos. Someone in my group thought it was unfair so he called for a marshal, the marshal watched them for about 5 minutes before deciding it was unfair. Then he took the objective away so no one got it. Later i heard that they were going to penalise both teams

I think they should listen to the players

i think the best date was 2007 when ics was there

They still owe us patches, which they said they'd send on.

2009 pictures are finally up though. A few good Team Beans shots in there.

Ben.

EDIT:: Although there's about two pages of safezone pictures, and about 10 action shots, a couple of which are out of focus.

Some pro photographers on site (and in the game!) would be good.

EDIT2:: CyberGun as sponsors? Come on!!!

lol on the cybergun! they were not even selling anything my group was wondering why they even setup a tent!

yeah i heard about the marshalls spotting the teamwork taking place, some players took the wrap for the whole thing, tho it wasnt them.

@L4byr1nth - they were going to send patches on!?!? i never heard that.....well seeing as its now march i doubt they will - i didnt even know i was meant to give my tags back in not one marshall said as we drove off..still got it...

would also be nice if they set up say - 5 chronos in an area, so people can go check their guns themselves, if more people are seen to be doing this then perhaps it would instill a better sense of duty to play with proper fps in those who either dont know what their gun is shooting at or those who know they have hot guns, although from the lack of any chronoing goin on makes me wonder if they actually have any.

did anyone have a gun problem over the weekend? im curious if they charged people for repairs on non-rentals as i dont know anyone who had to get something fixed - we all do our own work.

the bogs not getting cleaned out isnt really gz's fault as i was told that the company they leased them from couldnt (be assed?) make it to the site.

I was told multiple times by different people that 'H' was very embarassed about the patches.

They were meant to arrive, as they'd been ordered, but they cocked up the dates and the patches weren't there in time.

Not sure if there's any truth in it, and I understand that a bigger event costs more, but come on...

Ben.

EDIT:: Love your avatar, btw.

hmm, well as they havent been sent sounds like bull to me,even more so as nothing was put up on zeroin about it or the gz09 website so he cant have been that embarassed ......oh yeah the scores never were either :angry2: what are they gonna do with a thousand or so 2009 patches? its not like the cost of posting them would ammount to much compared to the money they made, like £500 tops for envelopes and a stamp for each one. £300 odd for 1200 1st class stamps etc.

hehe yeah peeps that notice like it, 'cept on the zero forum, there its was deemed offensive nad i was told to remove it...pfft!

Archived