• Yes
    • No
    • Are you retarded?
    • Why would I do that?
    • How do I do that?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is NOTHING to be gained by operating an AEG with no fuse, and EVERYTHING to lose.

Fuses blow because the current went WAY over the 15 Amps allowed by the system. If the current went over 15 Amps, it is usually because something stopped the mechanical components moving, but the motor kept drawing more and more current to try to get past the obstruction. If you have no fuse, then something else will burn out - usually either the motor or the selector plate.

FUSES ARE GOOD. They let you know when there is a problem with the mechanical parts of your gun. If your fuse is blowing, there is something else wrong with your gun. Either it has crud in the gearbox, an inefficient and dying motor, a broken mechanical component, a battery that is too powerful for the motor, a badly shimmed gearbox, too much gearbox resistance, or another problem that is causing stress in the system.

The fuse isn't the problem - it is the component that tells you something is wrong. If you don't have a fuse to burn, something else will.

If your fuse is blowing, you have a problem. Check the resistance to the gear movement in the gearbox. Chances are that there is something else wrong that is causing the fuse to blow. Igonore it at your peril.

Removing a fuse because your battery won't fit in the cavity otherwise is potentially acceptable, but you have to realise that if you get a jam, something expensive is quite likely to burn inside your gun = hefty repair bills.

Now to bust a couple of myths...

Myth: Removing the fuse gives you a higher rate of fire.

Truth: False. A correct fuse will not alter the ROF of your gun.

Myth: Removing the fuse allows you to upgrade your gun to a higher level.

Truth: False. Upgrading your gun to stupid levels may well start blowing the supplied 15A fuses, but removing the fuse only means that the time between jam and internal burnout is a blink of an eye. You are treating the symptom, not the cause.

Myth: Removing the fuse improves the performance of the gun.

Truth: No, it doesn't. There is absolutely NO performance to be gained from removing a fuse. Some people (and some popular airsoft retailers) seem to think there is, but there has never been any actual proof, or examples of this being true - EVER. There is a LOT to lose however.

Just to re-iterate - FUSE REMOVAL = BAD

Hope that helps ;)

I'd rather have a fuse in my gun tbh.

I'm trying to see if i can fit a car fuse in my gun, as they're really small. Only problem is i'll need to re-solder a new one one if it blows.

Might do it though.

use a battery pouch for a big battery if you have to.

i run on a 9.6v external pouch on my MP5A5

Never.

I can tell when my guns jams, so i know when to stop pulling the trigger.

I'd rather dish out for a new motor than use a battery bag.

but when you DO have a problem, you wont be able to type a comeback to this - thats for sure ;)

Well I'm happy to take my chances based on experience. I'm also part of a team who have all removed the fuses from their guns and again, no problems with electrics.

If I ever get a burn-out or spontaneously combust etc. etc. due to the fuse being missing I will be sure to post a contrite reply here :)

It might be worth noting I also use batteries soldered in pairs - another big 'no-no' - I've been told all kinds of dire things will happen (from destroying the battery due to heat from the soldering to exploding gearboxes). Again, never a problem in countless games/thousands of rounds shot.

As I said, YMMV, but so far neither myself nor half a dozern other guys have yet exploded/caught fire/melted/contracted scrofula or any other problem using this kind of set-up.

Just my ha'peth.

F

Gotta love all these "I'd prefer to replace a fuse than a motor" replies.

HELLO!!! If your fuse is blowing then there's ALREADY a problem with something else.

The ONLY reason to remove your fuse would be in order to fit other bits into the space where the fuse lives, larger batteries for example.

I'd also suggest that the ONLY people who even think about doing this are people who have NEVER had to ask for technical help for an AEG on these forums.

I'd say that using an AEG without a fuse is like driving a car without a seatbelt. Not a good idea in general, only to be considered for a very good reason and, even then, you might well have an accident which could have been prevented by its use.

I took mine out because theres not enough room in the back of my m4 for all the wires, the fuse, and the screw that needs to get to the spring guide

Mine have to fit back there for my crane stocks battery

I took mine out because theres not enough room in the back of my m4 for all the wires, the fuse, and the screw that needs to get to the spring guide

Mine have to fit back there for my crane stocks battery

That's fine. If you gotta do it then you gotta do it.

However, you MUST now pay a bit more attention to your gun.

Electrical bits get hot when they're dying. You need to keep your ears open and if the gun ever starts to make a weird noise then pay attention to if the grip gets warm. If it does then you MUST investigate the problem.

Quick question for ya:

Given that you've got a Crane stock, do you have any way of disconnecting the battery?

Firstly, a lot of sites will only let you in the SZ with your battery removed and, secondly, if your gun ever starts to fry itself because it's got no fuse then you NEED to be able to disconnect the battery to stop it all melting.

So, what about replacing the fuse with a circuit breaker (so that you don't have to replace it if something goes wrong with the gun)?

Ah yes!

One of those super-miniature circuit breakers which will fit in a position where a fuse won't would be perfect. :rolleyes:

Owning a Famas and the obvious issues with spares I am have the fuse in even in light of Hissing Sids thoughts. Even though the fuse going won't prevent the problem it will limit the damage casued by the problem *Duff touches wood and prays to the Gun Gods that the Famas never dies*.

I know the sound of my gun, and I know the vibrations through it when it is running well, and if it starts screwing up like it did a couple of times at Dover then I was able to know something was wrong instantly, stop shooting, and disconnect the battery. However, should I have missed this due to being flashbanged or not feeling the change in vibration from running then it is piece of mind that my fise will die before th gun does.

Also I have a load of room for my fuse and I can get to it my removing the the buttcap so changing it isn't a chore.

Owning a Famas and the obvious issues with spares I am have the fuse in even in light of Hissing Sids thoughts.  Even though the fuse going won't prevent the problem it will limit the damage casued by the problem *Duff touches wood and prays to the Gun Gods that the Famas never dies*.

Indeed. I agree completely.

Removing the fuse should only be a last resort. I just don't neccesarily agree with all the "Oh Lordy! Teh sky will fall inzozrz if joo remove Ur fuse!!!!1111" comments.

I've used my CA MP5 for over 2 years now with no fuse and it's never suffered any electrical failure.

(only because CA never bothered to fit one in the factory, mind you)

It could have though and, in that situation, a fuse would stop anything else going wrong and melting wires or trigger switches etc.

If you have a genuine reason to need to run a gun without a fuse then you can but you need to be able to disconnect the battery quickly and you need to pay attention to the way the gun sounds and feels as you fire it.

I definately wouldn't remove the fuse simply because it was blowing often or I thought it might make my gun shoot harder or I thought it was a cool thing to do or any of the other brainless reasons people suggest for removing it.

Archived