Colt Model 607 - GX-5857

Retro-Cow

The work so far on my XM607 Build Based off an Echo1 Stag Arms M4 lower and gearbox which I acquired from a friend.

The rest of the parts are a bastardization of various airsoft, real-steel, and home improvement parts.

Thanks to BaBaBooey for answering my questions about the stock operation as well as finding me the rear handguard cap.

Note: The A2 Upper, Pistol grip and 10.5" barrel are just placeholders until I can acquire the correct parts.

whole2.jpg

Fist off, I sanded down Echo1's incredibly lame etched trademarks.

whole1.jpg

Filled the selector markings.

rear1.jpg

The lower receiver originally started out as an A2 style lower with rear reinforcements which I filed down to more closely resemble an A1 lower.

partfence1.jpg

The fence around the mag release was also filed down to create a Partial Fence lower. (The areas where I dug in too deep were corrected with filler)

grip1.jpg

Ordered the M16A1 grips off of eBay and cut them down to size.

Got the rear handguard cap off of gunbroker. It fit perfectly.

stockrn.jpg

The lower rod that controls the locking and adjusting of the stock was threaded and screwed into a piece of sheet ABS cut to size.

Next up I need to cut off the bayonet lug, and finish the stock adjustment and buttplate.

Wish me luck!

Parts:

-Echo1 Lower Receiver

-Marui M16A2 Upper (Temp)

-G&P Flat Handguard/Delta Ring

-JG 10.5 in. Barrel and Front Sight.

-China M16 Stock cut down to size.

-Real Steel M16A1 Handguards and Heatshield

-Buffer Tube made from 1" Conduit

-Steel rod + tube for the stock adjuster.

Thanks for the kind words.

Yep, the correct barrel would be 10" however, I'm thinking about just covering up the excess barrel with the moderator.

Burke: Yeah I've seen the G&P and it looks awesome,but unforntunately I don't have $350+ to spend on one.

Plus there a few inaccuracies on the lower that stood out to me.

Here's the progress on the buttplate so far. Made from ABS Plastic.

platel.jpg

blablabla I didn't use any paint. Since my receiver is plastic, when I sanded the finish, the color of the plastic showed through which was only a few shades darker.

I planned to repaint the whole thing anyways so I sanded off the rest of the gray paint. The finish you see in the pictures is the original color of the plastic.

cosmic I'm not 100% sure but I think its a JG outer barrel. My slip ring doesn't touch the barrel at all though, just the mounting thing that the barrel goes into.

I sanded down the markings on the FSB as well as the little raised lip that the markings were on.

Also sanded down the flashing.

sitevz.jpg

I'm doing a layer of silver before the gray hoping that as the gray wears down the silver will show through.

Sorry for the crappy lighting.

silverg.jpg

Just a little update, I finished painting the lower and I noticed that I had missed a little detail while making the partial fence which I added here:

missedspot.jpg

Painted the the buttplate as well. I just need to add the "O" and "L" markings.

(Sorry for bad pics, my phone is being weird)

buttdj.jpg

Next, I realized I don't have the money to buy an A1 Upper, nor can I even find one anywhere.

So naturally I decided to just fabricate one myself. First up is the rear sight. I removed all the hardware from the A2 sight and started to form the A1 with epoxy putty.

sitelft.jpg

siteback.jpg

rearsite.jpg

Disc of steel, Drilled in the middle, then the side for grub screw.

Put a bolt through it with a nut. Then put it in a drill clamped in a vice (Ghetto Lathe) and turned it down using files.

Holes were added after with a drill.

Thanks for the Wow'ing took a while to dremel. Only tip I have is use some tape to back the hole where the brass deflector was prior to filling

Ta

Dave

• 2 months later...

Archived