The 6.01 or 6.05 conspiracy

Fred

So I am probably going to be shelling out $100 or so for a nice PDI tightbore here in the next few months, and I have heard alot about how while 6.01's are good, 6.05's often lend even better accuracy. I have not read or seen any specific proof of this, and before blowing $100 on a barrel, I wanted to know if anyone had done some actualy comparison.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have both but different lengths. I had the 285mm 6.01 on my CQB length Tokyo Marui SOPMOD and with Excel Bios, and at 30ft I had pinpoint accuracy. I was recommended to run bio bbs because of their smaller diameter.

I currently use the 375mm 6.05 on my Tokyo Marui/G&P M4 and firing it a few days ago, I'm getting decent results with Excel bbs. I blame it due to the hop up rubber because I had it in storage for 2 years with hop on.

Well I am putting it in my TM G-spec so the barrel length is 303mm, and fps is aprox 500 (haven't had a chance to chrono it yet). I'd probably be using Excel .3's. Right now my shots are all over the place (I couldn't get a grouping even if I wanted to) so I am hopping the new barrel, some spacers, and a firefly bucking will sort it all out. I just need to figure out if I want a 6.01, 6.03, 6.04 or 6.05.

Would be great if we can get more user experiences :) I got a fully PDI upgraded VSR-10 Pro atm with a Laylax barrel and Nineball bucking @ 485 fps but I'm just wondering if the increase in accuracy will be noticeable/big enough if I go to a PDI 6.01 or 6.05. I'm using 0.30g Green Devil which are 5.95mm (+- 0.01 mm).

I have to say...you can't just plug in part X and get results Y.

One barrel may work better then another barrel with bb brand Z. But the latter barrel may not work as well with another BB brand say T. Its a tuning balancing act for "optimal" performance. Just like real guns.

Use the 6.05mm barrel, it is more of a General Purpose barrel.

Also note....if 6.01mm is so great...how come no AEG company puts it in as a "stock" feature? That's a hint.

Now if you have a "special" gun and your feeding it a diet of Maruzen SGM's...well knock yourself out and get the 6.01mm.

I have just seen to many "kids" put in a 6.01mm barrel and then feed it cheap bb's and wonder why they jam all the time and still have poor accuracy.

For you, with that FPS and ammo weight, I'd say the 6.05. But personally, I'd up the ammo weight, and still use the 6.05.

People's experiences will be divided when talking about a 6.01. Personally, I found it a bad thing. I've heard people say I should be using SGMs, but I don't see why a 6.01 would be better than a 6.05 when using SGMs, when a 6.05 is better than a 6.01 for every other ammo type.

So yeah. I'll fight the 6.05 corner to the ends of the earth, and there are people equally happy to fight for the 6.01. I wouldn't put too much trust into other people experiences. If you can afford it, find out for yourself, if you can't afford it, go for the safe bet.

Then again, it's only my opinion that you should try for yourself, maybe other people disagree. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to keep philosophical twaddle out of these kinda answers. :P

Cheers for the advice. I was leaning towards the 6.05 and I guess I'll have to start saving some dineros now. About those BB's though: we're only allowed to use biodegradeable bb's and of certain brands to be in regulation. The only heavier bio-bb I know is .40g Bioval's but won't I lose a lot of range when going from 0.30g to 0.40g, knowing my hop up is already turned all the way on. I am fond of the Green Devil's btw, really one of the best biodegradeable bb's I have used.

I have no experience with a 6.05, but I did have a 6.01 for a short time. It was way to tight. It was 363mm(or whatever, standard M4) and was running a good hop up with .25s. It shot great for the first few rounds (probably about 50 or so). Then dirt would start to build and eventually I'd get a jam. You literally must keep them spotless to be shooting right. When I spent what seemed like days cleaning it I got a good skirmish out of it, then proceeded to clean it after wards and it failed again, this is probably a combo of bad barrel + dust/sand in the mags = jam.

But it was still a terrible experience. I now went back to 6.03 and will never look back.

I run 2x 6.01 pdi barrels, one in my l96, and one in a tm sig 226.

I dont consider my bolty to be an accurate platform. Ive altered everything, except changing the barrel, so I think this is the weak link. I'm loathe to scrap it cos of the cost of the thing, but may have to bite the bullet...

However, ive tried the stock barrel, a pdi 6.05, and the 6.01 in my sig, and the 01 is noticeably more accurate. All were tested with the same ammo, and the same firefly hop rubber.

End of the day, as said, every platform is different. There is mounting evidence a 6.05 is more accurate in a bolty, enough to make me get one to try, but not so much evidence in other types of guns.

As for them jamming, never had a single one, and I dont think ive ever cleaned my sig barrel ;)

I had a Laylax 6.03mm in my VSR Pro Sniper with a Nineball bucking, and the groupings were pretty poor using Blaster 'Devils' 0.40g's at 500 FPS.

I switched to a PDI 6.05mm with a Firefly Hard bucking, and using the same BB's, the groupings tightened up nicely.

Ben.

Haha sick, I will be getting my parts in a week or two I believe, if you want I'll let you know how it works out.

That would be great if you could :) I'm getting my Firefly bucking in about 2 weeks and the PDI barrel in about 3 weeks.

I've installed a couple of 6.01's in Bolt action rifles and what i have noticed is that the tighter the bore, the more susceptible to harmonics they are.

Originally had a 6.04 installed in a VSR-10 with a Firefly houpup bucking, changed the barrel out to a 6.01 and noticed exactly what people were saying - the groups were opening up.

Was going to change back to the 6.04 then figured i'd have a read around and see what i could find.. Eventually found a random very old post on (Either ASR or Airsoft Canada) about Harmonics in inner barrels, and using custom fitted barrel spacers to eliminate as much free-float as possible..

After machining some new barrel spacers for the 6.01 it was laserbeaming far better than the 6.04 ever was, using the same Firefly bucking and SGM's

If the PDI bull barrel spacers aren't up to the job, I can't be bothered to make something that is. I had a total of 16 O-rings in contact with the barrel, and it was still ######. Was using a firefly bucking and Extreme .3s. Which I'd tested a couple of months previous, as more accurate than SGMs. Different gun, different barrel length, not really sure it applies now to be honest. It sounds like all I was lacking was the SGMs. I was running a 555 barrel at that point too, and since then I've chopped my 6.05 down to 470mm. That helped...

Archived