(Bad) Reply from Customer Support

Ycare

I've only had good things to say about eHobby Asia til today. Reliable, rather quick, fairly priced, and items usually in good conditions.

But honestly, this one, this one just takes it all back to me, and I'm very very disappointed on how my case is treated, and how I'm being talked to.

FYI, this is in regard of a defective Magpul PTS ACR I received from eHobby Asia, which has been acknowledged to miss some parts by both Magpul PTS and eHobby Asia. I was first told I would get a replacement unit should the defect prove to not be a misuse from my side and that was it. I wasn't told at any point that Magpul PTS would be further involved or my ACR shipped to them, not that I mind anyway. Follows my email (after several exchanges over the past weeks), and the answer I got that made me so disappointed.

---

Hello,

Since I'm yet to hear from you, I wanted to inquire on the situation.

eHobby Asia assured me I would have a replacement unit sent to me right away should the defect prove to be from the maker and not a misuse. I believe eHobby Asia received my ACR now 3 days ago and confirmed it had a manufacturing defect, so where is my replacement unit?

If eHobby Asia will not send a new replacement unit, then I will ask for a full refund since I will not accept the broken ACR to be sent back to me, even if "maybe fixed".

I will not spend another month of waiting and expensive shipping if the same unit is still defective, reason why I require a new unit instead. I hope you understand my situation.

Please kindly advise.

Bests Regards,

---

I'm cold and obviously losing patience, fair enough, but at least still polite. My reasoning is: if this ACR passed Magpul PTS's QA with a defective barrel, then what else could be wrong on that ACR? I don't want to find out by myself with eventually another month of emails and expensive shipping, thus asking for full replacement. I neither wish to have a "repaired" ACR, but one working fine right from the box, like everyone else's.

---

Firstly take a chill pill and hold your horse.

You have made many assumptions and most of them are wrong.

And we just can't wave a wand and a problem can be instantly fixed.

Irrelevant of where it come from, all return goods need to be inspected.

Magpul only received your unit late yesterday, so please give them time to access the situation.

We can do nothing until we hear back from them.

Also your great demand to have a new one, only makes me think, what else have you done to it?

Forgive me. I have to be skeptical.

And Please try to relax, as its going to take as long as it takes

---

So first I "take a chill pill and hold [my] horse", then I'm accused of malicious intends, and finally told "it's going to take as long as it takes". Great, that's just exactly the kind of feedback I was expecting to my frustration :angry:

I'm sorry, but I'm again very disappointed at how an unsatisfied customer is treated, whether or not I've been using the shop for over a year and frequently.

I don't wish my case to be handled particularly because of this, but I do wish respect when being talked to, that's a minimum.

Your from Japan, you should absolutely know how asians do business! I am surprised at the wording he or she used, however I am not surprised how they reacted. When it comes to the Asian business market you MUST MUST MUST use courtesy at all times. I have done more successful business without setting a foot overseas because simple gestures in emails. NEVER demand, that will only make things worse. You really need to take a chill pill because you are not on the business side. The customer is not always right but the customer is always the customer and being a business owner or manager sucks worse every day than being a customer with a poor experience once in a while.

Look, you paid with paypal right? As corrupt and messed up as that company is, you are covered for 45days, and even if paypal won't side with you, you can call your debit or credit card company and probably win that battle. Have some patience, and more so, some respect for a company that handles thousands of orders a week and does so in a timely manner. EHA could have just told you to eat dirt like many HK shops do to people, so be thankful.

My personal experience with EH has been pretty good. I had a G&P sentry from them that had a wobbly body, and rather then go through a whole bunch of trouble they sent me a new one on their dime without any REAL proof.

WGCshop? Similar, I had a G&P scope ring set that was just terrible when i got it, refunded my money right away.

You were pretty aggressive in your email, its only been 3 days.

As you said yourself, they will send you a replacement when the maker confirms it is a manufacturing fault and not damage from use. Its not "bad service" for a retailer to protect thier interests or send replies in a similar tone to the respective enquiries.

Fair enough, I realize I was pretty direct, although that was the first email I used that tone with, and have been more than patient, and polite, for the nearly 10 emails that preceded that.

I didn't know they were waiting for Magpul PTS, but they did tell me they received my shipment, and then ignored my email, so I lost patience indeed since I don't take kindly on shops dragging their feet for a standard replacement.

Nevertheless, Asia or not, I've been there long enough to know that yes, the customer is always right, wherever that is. I had more than respect for eHobby Asia and recommended it to everyone for the past year, but this doesn't excuse what was written to me in anyway.

And I don't know how you guys handle being talked like that, but I certainly am not alright wit being said "to take a chill pill" by the customer support and then accused of lying or hiding something, whatever my previous email was.

You asking "Where is my replacement" might have been taken as a demand to know why it wasn't on your door step already, and probably set a bad tone.

That said, "Also your great demand to have a new one, only makes me think, what else have you done to it?

Forgive me. I have to be skeptical."

Ouch. That one was rude of them.

Like many, I have had great luck with ehobby, but I don't think that they treated you the way a store should treat a customer.

Hope it gets resolved soon Ycare.

I'm gonna have to put my 2 yen worth here (and I know for you guys, YCare & dstole, who're gonna play a game with me this weekend, will kick me for this :)) but...

Disclaimer: [i'm not speaking about YCare specifically nor about eHobby too but giving the audience here my perspective of business in HK. This also isn't about what is right or what is wrong but this is just how business is in HK]

1) Honestly you get what you pay for. We, in Japan, order from HK 'cos it's cheaper; but we can't expect Japan's level of quality of service. I've worked & lived in HK, and the same in JP. Over there, at least in my experience, the downside of getting great deals from a pricing perspective is that you have to accept the abruptness/rudeness. If you want the "customer is always right" kowtow, you can too but you'll have to cough up the cash. Otherwise, a lot of these HK retailers work on such a small profit margin, it's not worth their while to deal with customers' impatience or rudeness for that small profit. Potentially losing a troublesome customer hardly impacts them 'cos with their low prices, they'll just get another customer (e.g. ebairsoft/ebaybanned is still in business :)).

2) There may be a lost in translation here too. Although HKers may learn English in school, it's not necessarily their primary language. And even if they can, for some (not all) there's a lot of influence of "slang" from western movies. Spend a couple of days in Yau Ma Tei/Mongkok & beyond, vs. say Central/Causeway Bay and you'll see what I mean. I'm not going to defend eHobby here but I'm asking you to open your minds to the possibility that such words like "take a chill pill" may have been used more as a "cool" perspective than to convey a rude message. I actually think they are quite polite in apologising for their skepticism but at the same time credit them for being honest about expressing that skepticism. I can tell you that I've come across many more rude HKers who yell and don't even apologise or explain their temper which leaves you wondering what you did wrong.

3) In the end in my opinion about this is the business transaction and post sales support has been conducted as expected and normal as per other business transactions. The only issue that is of debate is the style the transaction has taken place, in which case I'd attribute to culture/language differences has lead to a mis-expectation and misunderstanding.

My suggestion...keep an open mind, keep your cool; if opportunity presents itself go spend some time in HK or if you want something even more challenging, China. You'll see that what you've encountered here is actually the upper/better percentile than how much worse it could be. Sure it's not Japan's QOS, but it's not that bad either.

End of my 2 yen worth.

@AnakChan

I get you there and totally see what you mean. As much as right as you are, maybe people from other countries need to know what they're getting themselves into when ordering from eHobby Asia, and what might happen if they encounter some difficulties.

I'm certainly not blaming the whole of eHobby Asia since I don't think the person who replied to me represent the whole company, nor country, but I wanted to manifest that this was most likely the rudest email I've ever received from a shop, which happened to be eHobby Asia.

Maybe it's because I held the shop in such high esteem that this really took me by surprise. If it were ebaybanned that emailed me something like that I would have probably laughed and insult him back ;)

Ycare

There is no difficulties here.

The only difficulties created, are in what you have assumed.

As mentioned before, Irrelevant of item or problem, there are procedures to follow.

And everything is going as planned.

I could have emailed you on Friday. As I made inquires of the situation, and I did say I would keep you updated.

But that would have been just to tell your gun went from the Magpul offices to the Magpul factory on Friday.

And that probably just created another lovely email from you. Over something we have no control over, nor anything you need to worry about.

Also as I mentioned before, your multiply emails to both companies has had a negative effect.

Instead of one person happy to deal with this case, you have 5 unhappy people pushing shyt down hill.

You have to remember, we are not miracle workers, and as 100% of our time is not dedicated to 1 customer, everything takes time.

And we can't give you a running commentary on every little thing about your order that isn't really important.

As for other customer with the ACR problem that returned his for repair, I have yet to here from him after telling him it had arrived and would take a little time to process a correction. And his arrived 2 days before yours and has been processed at the same time.

Whats the difference between him and you?

I have a long list. :rolleyes:

Now again today I have had contact with the Magpul factory. (cough cough)

The ACR has been inspected and the problem corrected.

All it needed was half a day in the factory and its sorted.

I'll make arrangements for the return shipping ASAP.

But now again you'll have to wait, as the earliest an ACR can be shipped is Wednesday.

So again... Please hold!

Don't panic,

With the exception of you getting upset with your assumptions, and upsetting others.

Everything is still proceeding as planned.

There was a cool saying about assumptions, but I can't remember.

Someone want to enlighten us.

:unsure:

Thank you for the update, and the "casual" tone again, which sounds borderline like saying there's something wrong with me(?)

I'm sorry but I can't see what were the assumptions which gave me so much bad credit? That you were supposed to replace the defective item? That the same broken ACR was probably going to get fixed and shipped back to me?

For the first one, because you told me so. For the second one, I still don't know since your reply here can be understood in both ways. Am I getting the repaired/broken ACR back, or a new one?

I was maybe cold and direct in this previous email, but all I was asking for was what you said would be happening, i.e. a replacement of a defective item purchased, I can quote you if you want, but I'm sure you have the email history. Again, if someone at any time would have told me "we need to ship your ACR back to Magpul PTS before being able to replace it", then maybe I would have been able to understand why it took over 3 days for having just a feedback from eHobby Asia. This is your miscommunication, not mine, and in no way it gave right to insult me in my misunderstanding.

I'm glad for you that your other customer doesn't mine waiting for his item, I'm sure you two will get along just fine and live happily ever after. Maybe you will even send me the wedding pictures if I spam you enough.

Please do also feel free to try alienating me a little more, as I don't feel like I've been mocked enough. Maybe when you do get the saying you forgot, it would be a nice addition to this "long list of differences" I'm so avidly looking forward to know.

I will try to not panic too much while waiting for your next email, although I do get quite anxious and start throwing feces on the walls when I don't have an hourly email update of my purchases, which is all part of my very severe condition of "Wantaworkingunasapsis" that I suffer.

From Magpul-PTS:

Dear Mr. XXX,

When consumers of our products have warranty concerns, it is our policy to direct all inquiries to the retailer the item was originally purchased from. We do understand that the process can be frustrating, especially when consumers buy Magpul PTS products from a foreign country rather than a domestic retailer. Grey market consumerism often makes warranty support more complicated as the consumer is forced to deal with the non-domestic retailer. This is further compounded by tariffs, when applicable, and additional shipping charges due to transportation of the product back and forth. These fees are often avoided when products are purchased in the consumer's country of residence. While the Magpul PTS products sold in foreign countries may often cost more than buying direct from a Hong Kong retailer, such elevated pricing typically includes import fees/taxes, international shipping, and of course, a domestic warranty service. While we understand there are many retail vendors selling Magpul PTS products across the world, it is our hope that consumers will purchase locally.

We realize this is of little consolation to you with your current situation. We would like to extend our sincere apologies for the frustrations you are experiencing. Normally, after redirecting consumers to contact the retailer they purchased the Magpul PTS product from, we leave communications to be conducted directly between retailer and consumer, as the retailer is the party that brokered the original sale, and is therefore responsible. However, in this case we have made the necessary inquires. The status of your ACR is as follows: eHobbyAsia received your ACR and passed it on to us for evaluation. One of our technicians repaired the unit (replaced the barrel assembly), and the barrel is firmly in place per factory specifications. As you are the valued customer, eHobbyAsia would like to send you a new ACR shortly.

Magpul PTS' responsibilities in regards to warranty service has been addressed. All further communications relative to this matter should be directed to the retailer you purchased your product from.

Sincerely,

Magpul PTS

---

From me:

Hello,

Thank you for your kind email and explanations.

I was informed by eHobby Asia that somehow my emails to you might have created problems for the follow up of my issue, and I deeply apologize about this. My goal was not to create overwork on this issue, but merely to provide, and be provided, the necessary information to and from both parties.

Rest assured that I did not doubt Magpul-PTS's customer service nor product at any time and will remain a fervent supporter and user of your products, as they deserve so.

I thank you again for the courtesy and professionalism that Magpul PTS kept while I might have proved a little impatient, which I apologize for.

Good continuation, and best regards,

---

So, I think I have my answer to my previous question and look forward to receiving the ACR from eHobby Asia.

Even with this though, I'm still disappointed at how I was answered in the previous exchange with eHobby Asia, and still don't believe I deserved to be insulted while all it was, was obvious miscommunication.

But as it was said before I guess "you get what you pay for".

Actually it will be put in our show room, to gather dust, then I'll buy it in a few months at a greatly reduced cost... because its dusty and brand new, and I know where its been! :rolleyes:

Thank you.

:P

Actually things have finally stopped going to plan. :(

We were promised and the ACR's were due in yesterday, but were a no show.

Now told "tomorrow" so fingers crossed, yours will be on its way before the weekend.

Ycare I'm very sorry for this "out of our hands" delay, and lack of communication previously.

And I'm very sorry I should have informed you more.

As I was trying to tell you, a inspection is required for all returning items.

This is a must! and I can even recited the case which started this company policy

A letter from a mother explaining her son purchased a pistol without her knowledge and wanted to return it.

Fair enough, not the first time it happen and process as standard the return.

Upon receipt, the gun look perfect and untouched.

It seems like a standard refund and was process as such with gun put aside by a busy gun smith to be inspected later.

At later inspection it was found to have every single internal part had been replace with older used parts.

:o

So from then on, without exception, it has to be done.

This also proves no-one can be trusted no matter how seeming legitimate there story is.

I could also list a dozen common attempted fraud cases we get. some are so lol.

So please understand why I do need to be skeptical as a job requirement.

I don’t know if you didn't consider that some processes could take time.

Or just expected a instant fix, Or just want to have a go, or forgot to take your Ritalin for the day. (Jk)

Although there was no real reason to get upset, it wouldn't have happened if I explained the situation a lot better.

Again I'm very sorry for this misunderstanding.

:unsure:

hehe, im curious to know what the other funny failed attempts at defrauding you were... :P

I think he already posted a couple.

Also, OP, take a chill pill and hold your horses. They clearly said in the first e-mail you quoted that they sent your gun to Magpul.

Thanks Swannie for following, and you are indeed right; Mike shame on you for not reading fully :P

eHobby Asia>

Again I fully understand the examination being necessary, and you did mention this right away in our first email exchange. I did assume that you meant "you" would be examining the item, and I did not suspect Magpul PTS would, so clearly a miscommunication as we can both agree. And yes, I was indeed expecting an "instant fix" since to quote you:

"I have just been told we have half a dozen units held for local sales.

I should be able to liberate one of these if need be."

But anyway, thank you also for the update, I still guessed this would take some time, somehow, even with stocks, but at least I appreciate being kept in the loop. I am too sorry for having taken a rude tone in my previous email, and hope that maybe the trust I had in eHobby Asia might be one day restored, although I am still a little concerned that I might be insulted again on another simple misunderstanding.

I am still a little concerned that I might be insulted again on another simple misunderstanding.

I still think you are misunderstanding the misunderstanding.

Being a languages teacher I can see the message under the wording and most of the times, if not all, English from China IS misunderstood and taken literally. Bad use of regular expressions mixed with local casual language and sentences meant to be "casual" end being "rude", but just in our imagination.

Believe me, most of the time things are not as bad as we imagine them :)

I still think you are misunderstanding the misunderstanding.

Being a languages teacher I can see the message under the wording and most of the times, if not all, English from China IS misunderstood and taken literally. Bad use of regular expressions mixed with local casual language and sentences meant to be "casual" end being "rude", but just in our imagination.

Believe me, most of the time things are not as bad as we imagine them :)

Mmmh, maybe so, and I understand what you mean, which is surely true. Although I do believe a customer shouldn't have to make some mental gymnastic in order to not feel insulted, misunderstanding or not.

But anyway, we're beating a dead horse, incident is almost closed, eHobby Asia sent me an automated email notifying me of the shipping of my ACR on Monday. I'll fight the Japanese customs in order to avoid paying the same taxes again, and then will proceed to test the new ACR, which hopefully, will prove fully working this time.

I did end up paying the shipping back to eHobby Asia and although I did ask if this could be covered, and was answered with a "maybe", there was no sign of actually covering it after this incident, which I'm of course not surprised because of the email incident.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, end of story, finally received a "replacement" ACR. I use quotation marks because the replacement is obviously the same ACR with the upper receiver and barrel assembly swaped with another ACR but whatever, it's working, that's what I wanted. Hope no further issue will arise though.

well personally I think, if they fixed the issue, it shouldn't be a problem if its the same ACR parts. I mean if it works it works. In most cases it never pays off to get snippy with people you do business with, just as I wouldn't insult someone who was serving my food, I wouldn't get rude with a store like ehobby or other shops I do business with. And the kindness pays off. I had airsoftpanda send me a free replacement intellect 9.6 because one of the ones they sent me dint work, probably got it in the timely manner that I did because I was courteous and thankful.

Happy to see the issue was resolved though.

well personally I think, if they fixed the issue, it shouldn't be a problem if its the same ACR parts. I mean if it works it works.

Yeah but the result are scratches on the pins and screws since it's been obviously opened. Nice for a "brand new" item, would you be happy to have that on an item you just bought and never even used before? I'm not.

There is a time to get snippy, and it's after the 10th email or so and being ignored. I had tried courteous, and it wasn't working, so I tried the other way, and it still didn't work since they actually didn't replace with a new one as requested. :waggle:

And I'm still waiting for what was supposed to be a refund on the shipping, but I guess this is long gone now.

it is a 100% new gun.

nothing has been "swapped out"

I can take a photo of yours if you want.

but this does bring up the point, under what right can you demand a new one?

your first one was easily repaired and should have been sent to you.

I went against policy, and I even had to argue your point with both companies, as they both wanted to give you your original gun back.

which they have every right too and is standard procedure.

and the only excuse I could use is "hes having a whine in a forum and I'm trying to make him happy."

and now you say you got the same one. :o

XX

So now forgive me for following the rules to a t.

You were told if you returned the parcel via postal services air parcel and if a factory fault was found, we could cover the return shipping costs. This did not happen.

:(

it is a 100% new gun.

nothing has been "swapped out"

I can take a photo of yours if you want.

but this does bring up the point, under what right can you demand a new one?

your first one was easily repaired and should have been sent to you.

I went against policy, and I even had to argue your point with both companies, as they both wanted to give you your original gun back.

which they have every right too and is standard procedure.

and the only excuse I could use is "hes having a whine in a forum and I'm trying to make him happy."

and now you say you got the same one. :o

XX

So now forgive me for following the rules to a t.

You were told if you returned the parcel via postal services air parcel and if a factory fault was found, we could cover the return shipping costs. This did not happen.

:(

"Under what right"? Under my customer satisfaction right.

But alright, fair enough, I will take your word for it and I believe this is a new one, please accept my apologies for my wrongful suppositions.

Just out of curiosity, why the box swap and giving me the old box with the serial number cutout and taped to it, wouldn't it have been easier to keep the old box and just ship the whole new pack? This definitely confused me, especially since there are scratches on the pins which really seem to make me think that the upper receiver has been opened at least once, and not with the dummy bullet. I can take pictures if you want.

I'm not doubting your good will, and intention to "make me happy", but maybe someone went against your recommendation without you knowing?

And understood for the shipping, postal air service would have taken a month, and I preferred EMS since I didn't want to have to wait too long for the replacement, I guess somehow it's my bad.

Archived